Tarantulas under control...from 500 to 10

tckrouge

Arachnopeon
I received about half a sac of A.geniculatas a few months ago and I'm finally down to my last 10.. ;)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=116562

I was really stressed out, you know! I had about 500 total..

Not that I would readily get into that position again but how do you guys feed so many t's?

Any tricks or tips I can file away in my brain for later use?

-Tracy :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it is not so much the food that is goign to get your into trouble as the moisture in their cups (specifically their cups dry out and then leach moisture from the spider)

to combat this i use Very Low Ventilation rigs. my cups have either 0, 1, or 2 pinholes. things like baby centipedes that can dry out very fast get 0 holes.

secondly... you can feed a surprisingly large meal to a sling if you prekill it. the meal, not the sling. larger meal = less frequent feeding needed

third, if you have any control you can keep the bugs cool. this directly lowers their metabolism and thus how much food they need.

tckrouge

Arachnopeon
it is not so much the food that is goign to get your into trouble as the moisture in their cups (specifically their cups dry out and then leach moisture from the spider)

secondly... you can feed a surprisingly large meal to a sling if you prekill it. the meal, not the sling. larger meal = less frequent feeding needed
That's exactly what I did. I put them in 3oz. deli cups with 2-3 pinholes for ventilation. I made sure it was moist enough in there and fed them 1/2" prekilled crickets which they readily ate. I suppose that is the best way.

Just wondering what you guys do... Those of you with 500+ slings.. :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wait for Ryan to give you his answer, he has to have some method of dealing with all of the slings he's been getting lately.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think ryan and chris both do "shifts" of walls in a constant rotation. {D