Tarantulas or Scorpions

What makes a better pet? Ts or Scorpions and why?

• Tarantula

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Scorpion

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yea I used flakes a long time ago and didn't care for them. I usually use alfalfa as its readily available for me to get and seems to smell better to me. I remember reading that it doesn't matter one way or the other if scorpions eat the gut loaded crickets or not so thats a plus but they will be anyways b/c of my other creatures. Appreciate the suggestion anyhow
If you are already doing it for your other Critters there is no harm in continuing the practice. Was mainly trying to save you some effort if all you were feeding were scorpions ;)

Prophet

Arachnosquire
If you are already doing it for your other Critters there is no harm in continuing the practice. Was mainly trying to save you some effort if all you were feeding were scorpions ;)
And the friendly help is very much welcomed. Out of all honesty though, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the easy route or simple route. I like to always be doing something whether its preparing their meals, mixing up fertilizers for my plants herbs and vegetables, checking ph for a tank, reading gauges, humidity, cleaning preparing etc. I love the constant staying busy to it all but also having the time to enjoy and watch it all come together. I'd be worried if I actually had an hour or two with nothing to do

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Are there any predatory inverts where a gut-loaded prey item would help with breeding or where it is required to feed gut-loaded prey to keep the organism alive?

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I think what he was trying to convey was the fact that tarantulas (despite being enormous, hairy spiders) have nothing visually threatening or sharp protruding from them on a cursory glance. The 'fur' and clustered eyes may actually appear cute to newcomers of the hobby.
Scorpions, as much as I love my H. Spinnifer, look quite scary to 'normals' because they have a hooked, sharp tail and prominent, sharp claws. The jet black armor that is common to some of the larger ones may also look quite scary.
Now, this is a pretty shallow view, as I'd rather handle a scorpion than a tarantula, but the scorpion's body seems to radiate danger on a visual level to people. Tarantulas have more 'hidden' features of danger like the fangs under it's chelicerae and the seemingly harmless fur on its abdomen.
Not to start another war like the last time I mentioned this, but I'm female, as it states in my profile.
(and you're correct, that's what I meant)

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
Scorpions without a doubt. I love everything about scorpions. When it comes to keeping arachnids I actually prefer the "odd" stuff. For some reason tarantulas seem bland to me. I know a lot of people who would say the same about scorpions. I love both though. I love the colors on some Ts. And I love their size, It is just impressive to think about a spider being that big. I also really love the way that some species web up their enclosure. Feeding is always fun no matter which animal you prefer. Also, a scorpion is what got me really excited about this hobby, so I am a little biased. Who doesn't love occasionally shining a black light on a scorpion. I also really love keeping true spiders and opiliones. Overall I tend to stay away from tarantulas with exceptions of course. My first T was actually a gift.(BTW animals as gifts is always a bad idea.) Scorpions are definitely my favorite animal to keep.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I’ve only just got a Scorpion , so can’t really say too much . At the moment Ts still come in first .

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
Actually animals as gifts are always a good idea because whether someone loves it or freaks out, the reaction is always entertaining! (And of course who doesn't love free things?)
The problem that I have is a lot of the time you may not be prepared for that animal. When you get a new pet the first thing you need to do is research it's requirements. Then you have to get supplies. Then you get the animal. When you get one as a gift, you generally aren't prepared. When I got my first T, it was an A. avicularia. I had no idea how to give them proper care. It came in a Kritter Keeper, better suited for terrestrials, and was on walnut substrate. Luckily I had some spare eco-earth so I changed that pretty quick. It also had a sponge, but I knew from my scorpions to remove that. I had to wait a few weeks to get an arboreal enclosure, decor, and a hide. I was pretty unprepared. If you do get someone an animal as a gift, make sure they know what they are doing and have the proper supplies. I still love to get an animal as a gift, but it is not the best idea. If someone got me a monitor lizard as gift today, it would probably not get the proper care it needed. I have no clue how to care for one, nor do I have proper supplies. I do love free things though. This is mainly for people who just started in the hobby or are still getting used to everything. If you get someone who has 35 Ts, 17 scorpions, and 12 snakes an A. seemanni, I think that person wouldn't have any problems with a new T. But someone who has 2 scorpions and a ball python, might get a bit overwhelmed by a T.