Tarantulas in Tucson AZ?

Mariemarie

Arachnopeon
So I'm moving out to Tucson in a few months, and I was wondering what species should I be on the look out for? I know so far that there's the Aphonopelma chalcodes, but I don't know what else. Also, a list of scorpions would be wonderful too. I want to find out as much about the inverts there as possible before I move!

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, welcome to Tucson (in advance). In the lower elevations A. chalcodes is the species you'll find. But further from Tucson and in the higher elevations you will find more. Actually, Brent Hendrixson is doing a revision of the genus right now, and is sorting out exactly which species we have here.

Scorpions are abundant in the region too. I've found two species inside my house, four others in the yard or very close by. Several different genera - Centruroides, Vaejovis, Superstitiona, Serradigitus, Pseudouroctonus. Still others with easy driving distance. Also some great centipedes (Scolopendra heros and S. polymorpha both turn up in my house every once in a while).

If you are out here by summer, you can catch the American Tarantula Society's conference. They always organize some great field trips to local hot spots.

Ken the Bug Guy is in the process of setting up a shop in Tucson. I've seen the not-yet-completed store, and it will be very impressive when they do get it up and running.

I think you'll find much to enjoy here.

Mariemarie

Arachnopeon
Awesome! It will be so nice to have some Tarantulas as wildlife. So are there any inverts that I REALLY don't want to get bitten by?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Watch out for wasps/bees when out on hikes and away from your vehicle!!!Get an epi-pen if you are allergic.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see a few attacks on the news a year here in the Valley alone.. They are quite common in the desert. Just better to be safe.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Between the Rim and the deserts this state has amazing diversity.

Mariemarie

Arachnopeon
I am so excited... New Hampshire wildlife isn't doing it for me =P I'm getting an apartment near Saguaro National Park.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How common are the Africanized bee's there?
At this point it can be assumed that all honey bees that you encounter in the Tucson area that aren't from a commercial hive are Africanized. You do need to pay attention to hives you encounter while hiking, but you don't need to get paranoid about it.

---------- Post added 03-15-2012 at 08:06 PM ----------

I'm getting an apartment near Saguaro National Park.
There are actually two Saguaro Parks - a Saguaro Park West that is maybe 20 miles west of Tucson, and a Saguaro Park East that is right on the east boundary of Tucson. I live about 20 miles south of the east park, just outside of Colossal Cave Mountain Park - which is where I work. When you get out here, get in touch with me. My wife has been building a photographic database of the local wildlife, with a strong emphasis on plants and invertebrates. She could give you a crash course on all the "bugs" you're likely to encounter. And this is a very diverse area, biologically. For example, within an hours drive of Tucson there are between 1200 and 1500 species of native bees, including the world's smallest bee, Perdita minima.

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I will be out there this summer hunting for stuff and also checking out the ATS convention.Can't wait!
-Chris

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
East Park. I'm moving in late August. Is that still good T season =P
That's prime T season for the A. chalcodes. You'll definitely see the males out cruising. It's also a great time of year for a lot of other invertebrates, and reptiles too for that matter.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I'm moving out to Tucson in a few months, and I was wondering what species should I be on the look out for? I know so far that there's the Aphonopelma chalcodes, but I don't know what else. Also, a list of scorpions would be wonderful too. I want to find out as much about the inverts there as possible before I move!
You will be pretty much in Tarantula Central for North America. Start hiking in any random direction except downtown. Try to pick rural or wild areas :) Choose higher ground very near washes and arroyos. Keep your eyes on the ground. (Be careful not to walk into barbed wire fences, Brahma bulls, cacti, etc.) Use plenty of sunblock, especially on your ears, nose, and the back of your neck!

Visit The Hunt in Laredo and Beyond for more pointers and photos of tarantula collecting in west Texas. Within a week or so I'll be adding another episode about dwarf tarantulas in Arizona. Stay tuned.