1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantulas in Jamaica

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Advert, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Advert

Advert Arachnopeon

Jamaica
    Advertisement
    Hi there,

before I begin I apologize to the moderators if I have placed this topic in the wrong sub forum.

Just recently I have taken a keen interest in tarantulas and would like to get one and to get into the hobby. Sadly I have an obstacle facing me in terms of acquiring one. I currently live in Jamaica and literally no one keeps tarantulas here so the hobby is not present at all for me to get one here. So I have been looking at the laws here for bringing one into the country and the laws are very spotty in terms of importing/bringing it into the country. My question to you arachnoboards is would I be able to carry a juvenile tarantula with me on an airplane in a critter keeper back into Jamaica? I'm not completely sure if you're allowed to bring one on an airplane and would like to know what you guys think!:D

Regards,

Advert.

2. That's something you're better off contacting Jamaican airlines about. When you fly to Hawaii, they make you fill out forms asking if you have certain items (raw fruits or vegetables, snakes, bacterial cultures, insects, etc.), and I would assume they'd do the same for Jamaica and any of the other (sub)tropical islands.

My personal opinion though is no, they would not allow you to bring one in on an airplane.

3. Poxicator

Poxicator Arachnobaron

Sorry, I know this doesnt answer your question but...

You used to have tarantula in Jamaica, Cyrtopholis jamaicola, but they are thought to be extinct now due to the introduction of the Mongoose.

4. Advert

Advert Arachnopeon

Jamaica
    Thanks for the reply so quickly! Surprisingly of all the times I've flown back and forth from here to the states we've never had to fill out something like that. I've been scrounging around the internet and so far only found things pertaining to things such as dogs, cats, birds etc. I'll make sure to call one of the airlines here and ask them. I know for one thing you can import practically anything here when you obtain the proper license, but I'm pretty sure a tarantula wouldn't live too long being shipped so far. :(

Regards,

Advert.

5. Where were you thinking of having it shipped from? You're not really too far from the States...

6. Advert

Advert Arachnopeon

Jamaica
    Mainly Florida or any state neighboring Florida, but I'm defiantly picking Florida due to the time taken to get to Jamaica from other states.