Tarantulas in Hawaii?? Legal??

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone,
i have a buddy that is moving to Hawaii and wants to bring his Ts. Does anyone know if its legal to own them there? I know we could ship them there and get them on the island, but is it legal to own them there???? Please help
Thanks
~Aaron

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I'm not even sure if it's legal to own them where I'm at...
well maybe it is but not to sell them... ah well...
it's with taking them in there...
importing and exporting are where the problems lay.

I don't think there'd be any trouble taking them with him..
well hopefully not.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I dunno, but I went there last summer and they were really paranoid about bringing things in or taking things out. I wouldn't be surprised if Ts are banned.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they let me take out pedes and true spiders, im not sure about bringing things in though

John

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is the website yuo want to go to: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/pi/pq/animal
Tarantulas dont look like they are on the list of animals not to bring in but there is a phone number you may want to call on the page I listed above. They are very strict from what I understand after someone brought in these frogs that kinda took over the ecosystem(sp) out there.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hawaii is very paranoid about imported animals. My bet is that they will not allow tarantulas to be imported. The reason behind it is that they have had problems already with imported animals becoming serious environmental problems. They have such a mild climate that animals can adapt and be introduced into the wild very easily, and their native animals have no way to cope with introduced predators. They worry much less about export of animals (other than protected species) because export doesn't carry any environmental threat.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The answer, short and simple, is no, they are not allowed.

There are previous threads on this. Search for them.

I used to live there. Pretty much only dogs, cats, and birds are allowed, and only after a lengthly screening for any and all diseases. Hawaii will not allow any plants or animals that are not already there. This means there are no snakes or lizards allowed either.

Your friend will have to sell his spider, as I will be doing when I move back.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hawaii is very paranoid about imported animals. My bet is that they will not allow tarantulas to be imported. The reason behind it is that they have had problems already with imported animals becoming serious environmental problems. They have such a mild climate that animals can adapt and be introduced into the wild very easily, and their native animals have no way to cope with introduced predators. They worry much less about export of animals (other than protected species) because export doesn't carry any environmental threat.
cane toads anyone? That was their own fault {D

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nope. The Hawaiin islands were formed by volcanoes and not by former existing land masses so there is no possible way for Ts to have migrated(?) there. The only way for them to exist there is by introduction by man.