1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantulas for Intermediate Experienced Keepers

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Grant Myrick, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Grant Myrick

Grant Myrick Arachnopeon

Apex,NC
    Advertisement
    I know there are plenty of videos on what good beginner species are and how many species aren’t a good beginner species, but I was wondering what species are good for someone looking to branch out of beginner species? I have a G. Pulchra and an A. Chalcodes and I’m looking to expand my collection and would love some input!
    Thanks

2. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    Imo Phormictopus, psalmopoeus, A geniculata. I am sure some others will have good ideas. You haven't had any arboreal so maybe C versicolor. You could probably be ok with psalmopoeus Cambridgei if you were careful

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

the species you have are very beginner friendly I'd maybe try some avic for the arboreal aspect of keeping Ts. Stick to new world for now and before moving to old world try you're luck with a psalmo or Tappie for speed

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    Nhandu, Phormictopus, Pamphobeteus, Davus, Acanthoscurria, Lasiodora, Sericopelma, Xenesthis, GBB are some good ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

any Nhandu

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Dixie
    If you wanted to branch off into the world of fossorials, H. himalayana is a forgiving specimen with a ton of coolness going for it.

P.S. I thought I saw somewhere recently where there had been a revision of this species, but I couldn’t find it by a cursory search. Whatever, they’re awesome.

7. asunshinefix

asunshinefix Arachnopeon

Definitely the genus Pamphobeteus. They're big, beautiful, easy keepers, and great eaters, with a little more attitude than your average Grammostola or Brachypelma. They can be quite fast, especially when younger, and apparently the hairs are fairly bad but they're not super defensive or crazy. The growth rate is pretty fast too - my P. sp. Machala went from 1" to 3" in less than a year and I feed on the lower end of average. And the males are absolutely stunning.

If you can get your hands on a Grammostola actaeon, I can't recommend them enough - they are gorgeous and grow faster than most species in the genus. In terms of difficulty I think they're typically only a little step up from the more chill Grammostolas, but mine has quite the attitude. Although I suspect it's bluffing, it's definitely willing to throw up a threat pose with little provocation; that said it's not too much spider for my nervous intermediate self.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Acanthoscurria, Avicularia, Bonnetina, Caribena, Chromatopelma, Cyriocosmus, Davus, some Grammostola, Hapalopus, Iridopelma, Kochiana, Lasiodora, Neoholothele, Nhandu, Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, Psalmopoeus, some Thrixopelma, Tapinauchenius, Xenesthis, Ybyrapora.
    Any arboreal and dwarf species that isn't considered advanced, actually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  9. Urzeitmensch

Urzeitmensch Arachnosquire Active Member

What about Ephebobus?

I really love their look and behaviour from what I have seen on videos. My E. Murinus sling is atm like all other slings, so no experience there.

And I heard they are good for preparing for OW fossorials.

10. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnosquire Active Member

Always have to suggest phormictopus

11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Any of the big tropical murder tanks (Acanthoscurria/Lasiodora/Sericopelma//Nhandu/Pamphobeteus/Phormictopus/Xenesthis/Theraphosa).
    Some Aviculariinae (Iridopelma/Ybyrapora)
    Psalmopoinae (Psalmopoeus/Tapinauchenius/Pseudoclamoris/Ephebopus).
    Any of the NW dwarf species (Holothele/Neoholothele/Dolichothele/Cyriocosmus/Kochiana/Hapalopus).
    C. cyaneopubescens/G. actaeon/G. iheringi (I don't know if they really qualify as intermediate but I wouldn't recommend them to a complete noob).