Tarantulas Eating Vegetables or Fruit?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
IDK. If your T is accustomed to roaches that are gut loaded with carrot moisture, could she have possibly mistaken the carrot for a roach? :hungry:
The carrot may have smelled like roaches to her, since it came from the roach bin.

I imagine it's simply drinking.
That's what I would have said too, but she had access to a full water dish and had already eaten at least one juicy roach, so I can't imagine she was very thirsty.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hang on a sec, first Tarantulas take up an interest in Doritos and now carrots!? This is anarchy I tell you, ANARCHY!!! :eek:

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
Next we will have a thread from a new keeper telling us: ''just got this new T, I made my research on here beforehand, I've been feeding it cool ranch doritos and carrots but she hasn't been eating the entire time, I don't understand what did I do wrong?''

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Oh, for the sake of all that's holy - stop this madness now! If word gets out that tarantulas and other spiders can eat carrots and apples, next thing you know, the militant vegan armies will be after us to make all our inverts into vegetarians!

"How can you possibly be so insensitive and barbaric as to feed live crickets or roaches to your spider?!? Don't you know that bugs have feelings, too? That roach might have had a family! That cricket could have lived a long and fulfilling life! You should be ashamed! You should teach your spider to eat fruits and vegetables and soy-based proteins!"
This is why I come here! :D:playful:

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is there really a difference between dead prey and a piece of vegetables or water gel?
Longe ago a friend put some roaches for the spider in the box and also some cucumber for the roches.
she often observed how the spiders feed also at the cucumber.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
That's crazy I didn't know that Ts even could eat stuff like vegetables.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, I dropped in a small organic grape for two of my T’s — my B. hamorii ignored it while it appears that one of my A. chalcodes did bite it, although the grape was not moved, it was punctured and a bit crushed. I removed the grapes the same evening and gave them to my roaches.
You are heading down a risky path. First the tarantulas learn that they like grapes. Next, they discover the secret of fermentation and wine making. And who needs a bunch of hammered tarantulas carousing all night?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You are heading down a risky path. First the tarantulas learn that they like grapes. Next, they discover the secret of fermentation and wine making. And who needs a bunch of hammered tarantulas carousing all night?
Maybe my C.sanderi would lighten up a bit on a good wine... :D

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Thanks. Now I have to try to get this image out of my head: My B. Harmorii happy dancing to my T. Blondis stridulating interpretation of "Moskau" by Dschingis Khan ...

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
T wine??? OMG. Darn you Tim Benzedrine.

Thanks. Now I have to try to get this image out of my head: My B. Harmorii happy dancing to my T. Blondis stridulating interpretation of "Moskau" by Dschingis Khan ...
I'm picturing OBTs suggestively hip-thrusting to some "Who Let The Dogs Out."

Or my usually timid A seemanni slyly (yet shyly) belly dancing to some Barry White "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love Baby."

Could be an increase in successful sacs with T wine sales up, I suppose....

[Okay, I gotta turn my mind off for a minute -- OVERTHOUGHT OVERLOAD!!! So sorry -- apologizing profusely to all who read this and now need therapy and a Clorox brain rinse....]

[Swears this thread began with innocent carrot snacking.....]

Last edited:

KenNet

Arachnosquire
I did show this thread to my P. ornata, just to see what she thinks about carrots . She (as she always do...) read me the miranda and told me to bring her a bowl of cockroaches instead. So, of course I did.

She gave me a "high five" ️ and wished me a happy weekend Well, since we were on the same level, we started to listening to some old Pink Floyd albums, not those newer, psychedelicus ones, more like the vegetarian songs, such as "Apple and Oranges "

Anyway...as the evening was getting late, she also showed me, with such elegans a new five finger setting, a slow playing line on the bass called "penta-loris". It was beautiful! I was in himalayana! I could feel that we really had reached the point of true communication ✨

I think she is my true darlingi! I will buy her a boquete of flowers in versicolor of red rosea!

KenNet

Arachnosquire
I did! She went arboreal. l still keep my feet on the ground, sometimes even fossorial. Where the carrots grow.

Willa

Arachnopeon
My A. chalcodes is quite the bulldozer and picks up large chunks of substrate and carries them around.k.
My b. albo is the same and does this regularly! Shame we can't play a tiny game of fetch with how much he likes dragging webbed balls of substrate around. ;)