Tarantulas eat frogs?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't feed my t's wc frogs for fear of parasites to.... sooo take some of the suggestions above and dont do it....but for cb raised frogs?? heck ya...much better then mice in my opinion!!!but these are hard to come by unless you know someone that raises them....

i do like the idea of offering different food items every once in awhile especially for my breeding females and have given them a wide assortment of wc prey items but with frogs and their ability to retain a good deal of toxins and parasites, its a gamble im not willing to take...now if i lived in an area where i know they wouldn't get expossed to such things:? maybe but i'd still be cautious....

i'd love to see more research on the topic though....and would love to hear more of the other hobbyists experiences on the topic
mine will come from petco and they have been at petco for at least 3 -4 months and all they eat there crickets gut loaded so they should be cool..

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Petco has a lot of WC critters. And just because they have been there for 3-4 months does not mean they are free of nematodes. But if you want to risk it knock yourself out.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NOOOOOOOOOOO FROGS, Never no how no way. I after last summer I learned a lot about frogs. Frogs carry NEMATODES. And nematodes KILL Tarantulas.
I had an adult B. Smithi go down a few weeks after eating a frog. I fed them to my Ts every summer because they were there for the feeding, but now I will never do it again.
i couldn't agree more,i personaly would'nt do it anyway,i just stick to crix/roaches and on occasion frozen/thawed pinkies,plus i like frogs{D can't do it.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine will come from petco and they have been at petco for at least 3 -4 months and all they eat there crickets gut loaded so they should be cool..
ummm talkenlate has a point, i would inquire as to how these frogs were obtained:confused: if they are farm raised, you should be fine:) ....but remember petco's quarantine policies..they don't have any!!!!!! lol so be careful and keep us updated...and take pictures...

also remember most of the suggestions given no matter how brash they might seem, come from personal experience's and most hobbyist just dont want to see you make the same mistakes as them....good luck

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I talked to some folks who studied entomology better than me, and yes frogs are a far better food for T's than many things (at least for NW) so I will simply seek to breed them once I got my house. I forgot to mention that I only collected very small frogs, some instinct told me they were healthier than the bigger ones ; also more hunt to watch!!!

I also read that prey's external parasites might detach from host and then grasp a hike on the T, but aren't internal parasites most likely liquefied like the rest of the preys internal organs. If not,how do hey escape digestion and colonize T's mouth?

Last edited:

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can someone point me to some scientific literature that shows that tarantulas will get nematodes from frogs more likely than anything else we might feed them

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just for the record, I read somewhere that frogs were almost a necessary component to get Pamphobeteus sp. and Xenethis sp. to breed successfully. I think GoTerps can back me up on this. I seem to remember him saying that somewhere in here at one point. That being said feeding a captive raised frog would pose no (or very little) threat to the tarantula as far as parasite transmission.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can someone point me to some scientific literature that shows that tarantulas will get nematodes from frogs more likely than anything else we might feed them
This was in a debate a while back. That if a mantid ate a baby frog it could get nematodes and pass them on. The whole thread is posted at the bottom.

Someone brought up the fact that because of the external digestion, its hard to say how the nematode is introduced. You have to figure if they can survive in the digestive tract of almost every animal on the planet, they can survive a T's digestive enzymes as well. Another theory though is that they enter through the anus or the book lungs. Here are some posts from a thread on the subject.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=751299&postcount=16

http://www.giantspiders.com/article12.htm

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=751445&postcount=28

And here is the whole thread.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=77003&page=2&highlight=feeding+a+t+an+mantid

Last edited:

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the links Hedorah99 i also found some info pretty quickly heres something now please don,t flame me if this dosen,t pretain to the type of parisites where talking about here but i thought it was interesting it seems to say that its pretty rare for frogs to get nematodes and some other reading i did says there comon in grass hoppers chris...

Abstract View

Volume 25, Issue 1 (January 2006)
Current Herpetology

Article: pp. 35–37 | Full Text | PDF (624K)
First Record of a Mermithid Nematode from a Frog in Japan

TOSHIO DOI1,*, HIDEO HASEGAWA2

1 Kobe Municipal Suma Aqualife Park, 1–3–5 Wakamiya-cho, Suma-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 654–0049, JAPAN
2 Department of Infectious Diseases (Biology), Faculity of Medicine, Oita University, 1–1 Idaigaoka, Hazama-machi, Yufu, Oita, 879–5593, JAPAN

Options:

* Create Reference
* Email this Article

Search CrossRef for:

* Articles Citing This Article

Search Google Scholar for:

* TOSHIO DOI
* HIDEO HASEGAWA

A nematode 22 cm in length was spontaneously expelled from a pond frog, Rana nigromaculata, collected from an irrigation ditch of a paddy field in Kobe, Japan. The worm was identified as a larva belonging to the family Mermithidae on the basis of cephalic structure, presence of six longitudinal cords, and cross fibers in the cuticle. This is the first record of a mermithid from the Amphibia in Japan. This family has also been only rarely recorded from the amphibians outside Japan. Probably the infection is accidental parasitism, because mermithids are mostly parasitic in arthropods.

Keywords: Mermithidae, Nematoda, Rana nigromaculata

Accepted: May 11, 2006

DOI: 10.3105/1345-5834(2006)25[35:FROAMN]2.0.CO;2

* Corresponding author. Tel: +81–78–731–7301; Fax: +81–78–733–6333 E-mail address: toshio_doi@kcva.or.jp

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heres some more i found that seems to say that frogs do carry them i geuss we better be carefull chris...

Helminth communities in bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana), green frogs (Rana clamitans), and leopard frogs (Rana pipiens) from New Brunswick, Canada
McAlpine, DF
Canadian Journal of Zoology/Revue Canadien de Zoologie [CAN. J. ZOOL./REV. CAN. ZOOL.]. Vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 1883-1890. Nov 1997.

Twenty-three helminth species were identified from bullfrogs, Rana catesbeiana, green frogs, R. clamitans, and leopard frogs, R. pipiens, in New Brunswick. Digeneans dominated adult helminth communities in the aquatic bullfrog and semi-aquatic green frog; nematodes were dominant in the more terrestrial leopard frog. In green frogs and leopard frogs, richness and abundance were greatest in adults; in bullfrogs, juveniles showed the greatest richness and abundance. An increase in vertebrates in the diet of adult bullfrogs influences helminth communities in bullfrogs. Where Glypthelmins quieta and nematodes, which infect the host by skin penetration, predominate in green frogs and leopard frogs, respectively, the increase in epidermal area with age probably influences helminth abundance. Adult female leopard frogs are larger than males and harbour greater numbers of helminths. Within the most heavily sampled component communities only larval digeneans, and less frequently nematodes with direct life cycles, were common (i.e., in > 50% of hosts); other taxa were generally present at prevalences of < 20% and intensities of < 10 helminths per frog. Although wetland characteristics and helminth transmission dynamics play a role in producing variation in helminth communities among sites, ontogenetic shifts in diet and sexual size dimorphism within these anuran species are important in shaping helminth communities in individual frog hosts

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just wanted to also bring up, almost every animal on the planet, unless raised in a completely sterile environment, is going to have one form of parasite or another. Parasites, nematodes included, are generally host specific. A nematode infecting a frog may not be able to live in a tarantulas digestive tract. But if it does, the tarantula may have no immunity to the new organism and thats when problems occur. As stated by several people before, T's can eat frogs, but why risk it?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wonder if captive breeding and raising frogs would be worth the bother. You would need a TON of space. But then...i'm not sure how much space mice breeders use. Leopard frogs may be the best choice from what I know as I've heard of them being bred in captivity before and labs often use them. ACtually, if you live in a state where they are allowed Xenopus laevis is probably the easiest frog to breed.

Orchidspider

Arachnopeon
Getting frogs at the pet shop should not be to bad an option.. I have seen bullfrog polywogs for sale and wish I had bought them for my blondi. I do feed her Night crawlers that I got from the local baite shop- just make sure they have not been dyed with the day glow coloring. My Blondi Loves those and she gets about 1 or 2 a week. So definately try and vary the diet of your Ts. Crickets only give certain foods, no matter what they are fed. At least look for raising dwarf cave, hissing or other roaches for a change of diet.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NOOOOOOOOOOO FROGS, Never no how no way. I after last summer I learned a lot about frogs. Frogs carry NEMATODES. And nematodes KILL Tarantulas.
I had an adult B. Smithi go down a few weeks after eating a frog. I fed them to my Ts every summer because they were there for the feeding, but now I will never do it again.
Good point sir...I imagine Anoles have em too, lol.

omni

Arachnobaron
I've fed cb Hyla squirela (squirrel tree frog) once to my PZB to see if she'd eat it, but wouldn't consider them for regular feeding. Breeding any kind of tree frogs is a lil work, raising the tads isn't easy enough to do for feeders. Wild caught or store bought anything is risky. I've been lucky with my spiders, but've had parasite or bacterial trouble with every kind of live food from petstores with my other animals, so I try to raise as much of my own feeders as possible. A mouse or frog or two every few mos for a T is supposed to be ok, but for the money of it, a nice fat bug from a feeder colony you can get going is the ticket.

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rodents, mice, rats have nematode parasitse as well.
Most vertebrates have nematodes!
It is just a mater of nematodes surviving in a different host than their usual one. This is not common.
If a pig eats a erathworm with earthworm nematodes he will not be infected! however there are pig nematodes that use the earthworm as a intermediate host to develop and be infective to pigs. they would not parasite pigs if there are no earthworms.
Most of the parasites are not well adapted to parasite 2 different species.
it can happen but is not common. and it is certainly less common if the nematode comes from a cold blood animal. they generally use inverts as a intermediate development step to reach a vertebrate final host.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some Ts got nematods and were fed store bought feeders.

It would be useful to know witch species can survive in both frogs and Ts!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've fed cb Hyla squirela (squirrel tree frog) once to my PZB to see if she'd eat it, but wouldn't consider them for regular feeding. Breeding any kind of tree frogs is a lil work, raising the tads isn't easy enough to do for feeders. Wild caught or store bought anything is risky. I've been lucky with my spiders, but've had parasite or bacterial trouble with every kind of live food from petstores with my other animals, so I try to raise as much of my own feeders as possible. A mouse or frog or two every few mos for a T is supposed to be ok, but for the money of it, a nice fat bug from a feeder colony you can get going is the ticket.
I'm not sure how hard it is to breed mice but african clawed frogs might work. They would take a lot of time still though...particularly the tadpoles.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just wanted to also bring up, almost every animal on the planet, unless raised in a completely sterile environment, is going to have one form of parasite or another. Parasites, nematodes included, are generally host specific. A nematode infecting a frog may not be able to live in a tarantulas digestive tract. But if it does, the tarantula may have no immunity to the new organism and thats when problems occur. As stated by several people before, T's can eat frogs, but why risk it?
Generally, internal parasites which have evolved to live inside a certian group of animals are actually a very low risk to the animal...there's no point in killing your host.

However, parasites which end up in the wrong host are generally deadly to the host.

Case in point, there's a species of nematode which lives inside the intestines of raccoons. It lives in the bloodstream as a larva and uses chemical cues to find it's way around inside the body, eventually finding it's way to the intestines through those cues.

However when put into a human host, these chemical cues are non-existant and the nematode wonders around aimlessly sometimes ending up in the eye or brain.

In short, feeding any sort of vertebrate prey is just a plain bad idea...like Hedorah has pointed out.

Last edited: