Tarantulas and sand!

drew303

Arachnopeon
i was wondering if there are any T's who prefer sand/desert set up that would be available in the uk!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Sand should only be incorporated into a substrate as part of a mixture of other soils/coir etc. I use it in mixtures with some of my baboon sp. and arid species no problems. But only using it in small amounts as mixture.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
i was wondering if there are any T's who prefer sand/desert set up that would be available in the uk!
There are many arid species available for sale in the UK. With that said none of these should be kept purely on sand, it's one of the worst substrates for Theraphosids.

I could highly recommend eco earth(coco fiber) or straight topsoil just be sure to let it dry out completely before use. What species are you looking into?

drew303

Arachnopeon
+i already have a mexican red knee on a soil based substrate but any that liked sand was thinking it would look nice!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
+i already have a mexican red knee on a soil based substrate but any that liked sand was thinking it would look nice!
Look into true spiders, sicarius spp. can be kept on sand and will actually use it to bury themselves and ambush prey.

Keep in mind that these spiders are highly venomous and should be treated with the utmost respect.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Look into true spiders, sicarius spp. can be kept on sand and will actually use it to bury themselves and ambush prey.

Keep in mind that these spiders are highly venomous and should be treated with the utmost respect.
Literally. A bite from them includes venom that begins to immediately burst your red blood cells, destroying your blood before it can even replenish itself. That means oxygen cannot get to your organs. I don't think I have to explain why that is a bad thing.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Why are you recommending something as potent as a Sicarius spp. to a new keeper?

@drew303 Do not get one of those unless you have a large amount of experience behind you.

Also, to answer your original inquiry; no Theraphosidae should be kept on sand alone. The best thing to use is Eco Earth or plain Top Soil. Ensure it is dry and packed down well. The amount will depend on how large the Spider and Enclosure are. You don't want more than 1.5 times the Diagonal Leg Span of the Spider for distance from the Substrate to the Lid for a terrestrial species.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
For arid species (for example GBB or most Brachypelma) you can use sphagnum peat moss or plantation soil, just keep them bone dry with a water dish.

You know, sand is coarse and rough and irritating - not the best for Ts. ;)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Literally. A bite from them includes venom that begins to immediately burst your red blood cells, destroying your blood before it can even replenish itself. That means oxygen cannot get to your organs. I don't think I have to explain why that is a bad thing.
Yeah prob pass on that one lol. There are no tarantulas that would do well in a Sandy desert setup, which would be a great aesthetic, but not good for the t.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm sure someone on here has kept at least one adult B. hamorii on fine white silica sand and not had any issues with it, either that or my memory is seriously screwed.

I did try a desert setup for my GBB that had reptile desert bedding mixed into the substrate, no issues but I didn't stick with it when I rehoused her, I'm in the process of switching all of mine over to a peat/topsoil mix.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I'm sure someone on here has kept at least one adult B. hamorii on fine white silica sand and not had any issues with it, either that or my memory is seriously screwed.

I did try a desert setup for my GBB that had reptile desert bedding mixed into the substrate, no issues but I didn't stick with it when I rehoused her, I'm in the process of switching all of mine over to a peat/topsoil mix.
You're right, there is.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The biggest problem with sand is that it can cause impaction when accidentally swallowed. But correct me if I'm wrong, tarantulas can't swallow anything solid, right? They have to liquefy their prey first. So can they swallow sand?

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty sure tarantulas don't like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.