Tarantulas and Dating

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I'm not single because of my pets.

I'm single because I don't enjoy human company.

I can't imagine being sat on the settee with a woman watching tv/films 7 days a week now. Waking up to one 7 days a week. "*sigh you again!!!!!".

After 2 days I'd just look at them and wish they slipped in the shower or fell down the stairs. After 5 days they would "fall" down the stairs. Probably quite a few times.
Lol, I feel exactly the same way. I can only think of a few things more horrifying than having someone around me 24/7.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
(those apps in general are a waste of time if you're actually looking for a relationship though, it's all hoes and people on rebound)
Omg right, there bio will say "looking for a serious relationship, no casual meet ups" then 3 seconds into a conversation will send *pictures* or say "what are you into?". When I used dating apps I would swerve it so hard and be like "I'm into photography and stuff WBU?".

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
My great grandpa once said something that will live forever in my mind: "LOVE, IS A DISEASE." And truer words were never spoken.

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
It seems to be a ratio thing where keeping exotics seems to be a male dominated thing (as MCP as that sounds) and this is often the norm when it comes to other traditionally male dominated hobbies like shooting or even american football. Others like ultimate frisbee tend to have a more even distribution? Just my 2 cents
I think there are actually more women into Ts now than men. But I get what you mean. I agree with @boina in that I've never had a problem with keeping exotic animals and meeting ppl/making friends. If anything, I think ppl tend to like me more when I bring it up :D
On the flip side, say i'm selling something (a snake rack pretty recently) once the person (always a man x.x cause women tend to be less... dumb) comes to meet with my fiance and I after I've been texting him, he'll immediately go up to him and start asking him all his questions. Lol and my fiance will just kinda stand there all confused while my vertically challenged self glares at the person from the background :rolleyes: with the snake rack incident, even after I said "I've been the one you've been texting" he still went back to to asking my fiance :mad:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I don't understand this thread. I'm a girl (woman, actually), there are plenty of women around on AB, I meet quite a few women at expos - many girls love spiders!

Actually, I'm pretty open about my spiders and found that many people are more fascinated than repulsed. I'm a weird nerd anyway, I can as well round out the picture and be a weird nerd with spiders.
I don't doubt there's many girls that like or don't mind spiders, my ex being one of them, but it's a pretty unusual thing to say to someone, obviously I warn dates if we have a coffee or something in my flat (just in case they're an arachnophobe).
The reaction to saying I have 19 tarantulas, 2 true spiders and one scorpion is ALWAYS (in my experience) met with disgust or fear.

The chances of meeting someone who digs tarantulas I would say is pretty slim.
Or maybe I don't leave my flat enough?

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
I don't doubt there's many girls that like or don't mind spiders, my ex being one of them, but it's a pretty unusual thing to say to someone, obviously I warn dates if we have a coffee or something in my flat (just in case they're an arachnophobe).
The reaction to saying I have 19 tarantulas, 2 true spiders and one scorpion is ALWAYS (in my experience) met with disgust or fear.

ALL of the ppl I know personally that are into spiders are women. And all of the men that I know personally that are into spider are into them because of their wives. So you probably don't leave your flat enough. Which is saying something as I definitely don't leave my apartment enough xD

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I’m single because I don’t have the time nor energy to try to keep up with and emotionally support another human being. Plus I’m just an awkward being, I can’t initiate a conversation or keep a conversation going to save my life.

I’m sure my inverts may affect the dating pool once I get to that point, but honestly, I wouldn’t want to be with somebody that’s against/afraid of them in the first place, just like I wouldn’t want to be with someone who doesn’t like my dog.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I'm not single because of my pets (I know a few women who like them)... I just really can't be arsed with dating anymore.
I'm a firm believer that everyone needs somebody. (Sounds like some cheesy pop song)

ALL of the ppl I know personally that are into spiders are women. And all of the men that I know personally that are into spider are into them because of their wives. So you probably don't leave your flat enough. Which is saying something as I definitely don't leave my apartment enough xD
Interesting, I've always been sort of a hermit/shy. Maybe I should leave my flat more often.

I’m single because I don’t have the time nor energy to try to keep up with and emotionally support another human being. Plus I’m just an awkward being, I can’t initiate a conversation or keep a conversation going to save my life.

I’m sure my inverts may affect the dating pool once I get to that point, but honestly, I wouldn’t want to be with somebody that’s against/afraid of them in the first place, just like I wouldn’t want to be with someone who doesn’t like my dog.
I'm the exact same, I struggle to keep conversation or start one.
It leads to some really awkward dates but I still try.
I wouldn't care if she was afraid of spiders as long as she didn't want me to get rid of them or something like that, That's a big no-no.
I would never ask a girl to get rid of her pets if I didn't like them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm a firm believer that everyone needs somebody. (Sounds like some cheesy pop song)
Humans wind me up. Having a girlfriend would make me thoroughly miserable and angry. Well more miserable and angry.

Now everybody needs SOMETHING I'd agree on.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Humans wind me up. Having a girlfriend would make me thoroughly miserable and angry. Well more miserable and angry.

Now everybody needs SOMETHING I'd agree on.
Of course there's some exceptions haha.
Very rare though.

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Interesting, I've always been sort of a hermit/shy. Maybe I should leave my flat more often.
Don't fret though. I think I've just gotten "lucky" because ppl like my face and/or voice. I just look approachable because ppl think I look like a sweet person. I'm not all that sweet, and i'm terribly awkward... like the sheer fact that I found someone who actually wants to marry me, let alone ppl who enjoy my company, is still kinda insane to me :cat: it's not like i'm trying.

Also, I take it back, I DO know 2 guys that are into Ts without a lady's influence.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Don't fret though. I think I've just gotten "lucky" because ppl like my face and/or voice. I just look approachable because ppl think I look like a sweet person
Ahhh, now that explains a lot.
I have a face like a smacked backside all the time and people just assume I'm an awful person.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah, I think I'm an exception to that one.

The funny thing now is that since I got to the point where I couldn't care less about dating I keep getting asked out :rofl:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

Frankly, I would love to be you, a 18 years lady with such magnetic eyes. I would learn and master hypnosis and then, after, turns all the suitors into puppets without anymore a soul :bored:

:troll: :kiss:

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
I think there are actually more women into Ts now than men. But I get what you mean. I agree with @boina in that I've never had a problem with keeping exotic animals and meeting ppl/making friends. If anything, I think ppl tend to like me more when I bring it up :D
On the flip side, say i'm selling something (a snake rack pretty recently) once the person (always a man x.x cause women tend to be less... dumb) comes to meet with my fiance and I after I've been texting him, he'll immediately go up to him and start asking him all his questions. Lol and my fiance will just kinda stand there all confused while my vertically challenged self glares at the person from the background :rolleyes: with the snake rack incident, even after I said "I've been the one you've been texting" he still went back to to asking my fiance :mad:
LOL women are just more perceptive than men. And growing up in a home where the men catch cockroaches and my mother jumps on the table I guess I think of women as more likely to be afraid of spiders.

Maybe the numbers scare em a lil HAHA go with “a few spiders” next time

Last edited by a moderator:

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
LOL women are just more perceptive than men. And growing up in a home where the men catch cockroaches and my mother jumps on the table I guess I think of women as more likely to be afraid of spiders.
Lol well, you should recognize your biases and don't use it to make broad assumptions :) coming from a woman led household where my mom did (and still does) all of the handy work, while my stepdad jumps on furniture when he sees a mouse.
Lol and I don't blame your mom, I also hate roaches! I'd say quite a bit of ppl have at least one irrational fear

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Don't fret though. I think I've just gotten "lucky" because ppl like my face and/or voice. I just look approachable because ppl think I look like a sweet person. I'm not all that sweet, and i'm terribly awkward... like the sheer fact that I found someone who actually wants to marry me, let alone ppl who enjoy my company, is still kinda insane to me :cat: it's not like i'm trying
Yo, same. People drive me batty. Everyone thinks I'm really sweet because I smile a lot, but they don't understand that it's just a defense mechanism.

It took my boyfriend a while to understand that it's not that I don't like his friends, I just don't like people in general. I feel like people either drain me, or fuel me. There are... Three people in my life that don't sap the energy out of me, lol.

As much as I hate people though, I love love. I just didn't realize until now that I could have love and peace at the same time.

Okay, I'm getting sappy, I need to go to bed :rofl:

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Yo, same. People drive me batty. Everyone thinks I'm really sweet because I smile a lot, but they don't understand that it's just a defense mechanism.

It took my boyfriend a while to understand that it's not that I don't like his friends, I just don't like people in general. I feel like people either drain me, or fuel me. There are... Three people in my life that don't sap the energy out of me, lol.

As much as I hate people though, I love love. I just didn't realize until now that I could have love and peace at the same time.

Okay, I'm getting sappy, I need to go to bed :rofl:
Finally! Someone who gets it! It's literally just a defense mechanism and if more ppl understood that I'd have way less ppl approaching me!

And I think my fiance drains me the least, but him draining me stems mostly from him being unorganized/forgetful and being way more social than me. Lol but everyone drains me at some point. It's worth it though to be able to go home and just be a burrito after a long day of social interactions :happy:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Lol well, you should recognize your biases and don't use it to make broad assumptions :) coming from a woman led household where my mom did (and still does) all of the handy work, while my stepdad jumps on furniture when he sees a mouse.
Lol and I don't blame your mom, I also hate roaches! I'd say quite a bit of ppl have at least one irrational fear
Samesies. My dad is a very tough dude and very smart, but he is quite afraid of spiders. Knowing about his fear, I removed spiders from rooms MANY times, starting when I was pretty young. I am glad to say that he met a few of my tarantulas and did okay with them. That was a big step for him and since he is a scientist, he was quite fascinated by them.