Tarantulas and basement apartments

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
Hey there I have a question/dilemma. I moved into a basement apartment and I of course want to bring my tarantula with me. However, it's been one night and I have already seen other spiders, a centipede, and an earwig. I know they are harmless to me, but I still get uneasy thinking about them crawling around or possibly getting into my tarantula's cage. Am I being irrational thinking they can get in or does anyone know tricks to banish them away without harming my tarantula? Thank you so much!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I may be wrong, but I think @cold blood and @robc both kept their T collections in basements. Maybe some caulking could be added to cracks/crevices (though you're probably fighting a losing battle in a basement with preventing all intruders).
How are temps?
Is the basement damp?

[If wrong, sorry -- I shared because I believe people have successfully made basements their T rooms]

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I have everything in my basement. I've never had an issue. I see webs now and then, I've never worried about it. If I noticed an entry point, I'd seal it up though. I don't want random bugs in my living space.
Ants on the other hand are my nemesis.

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
I may be wrong, but I think @cold blood and @robc both kept their T collections in basements. Maybe some caulking could be added to cracks/crevices (though you're probably fighting a losing battle in a basement with preventing all intruders).
How are temps?
Is the basement damp?

[If wrong, sorry -- I shared because I believe people have successfully made basements their T rooms]
Basement is cool because of the air conditioning. Going to insulate her tank and plug in her heaters. I have a space heater as well. It's moderate down there. I'm honestly concerned about another spider seeing her sweet setup and making it into a nursery. I'll definitely do some caulking around the door that leads down as well as the unfinished side. Thank you!

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
I have everything in my basement. I've never had an issue. I see webs now and then, I've never worried about it. If I noticed an entry point, I'd seal it up though. I don't want random bugs in my living space.
Ants on the other hand are my nemesis.
Oh God ants! They are annoying critters indeed. I'm definitely blocking some stuff for sure. Thank you!

Walker253

Arachnobaron
My basement is cool as well. I have to run space heaters in the summer. The furnace keeps it warm in the winter. It's an opposite effect.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Keep my collection in the basement as well. Block the vents, AC at night can plummet temps to 60s easily. Cold drafts probably aren't good for tropical slings either.
If your spider is a fairly large arid species, I wouldn't worry about temps down to about 65. Never had an issue with bugs getting in my cages, any spiders I find I just add to the collection.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
I found a small house spider in one of my G porteri's enclosures and they're upstairs o_O I feel I've read about people using coffee filters to cover vent holes to help keep out unwanted pests... but I have no knowledgeable sources as to whether that actually works/is helpful or not :bag:

cold blood

Staff member
Basement is cool because of the air conditioning. Going to insulate her tank and plug in her heaters.
Her heaters??

Use a space heater...the t shouldnt have heaters to plug in...what species do you have? Depending on the species, you may not need to worry about extra heat at all....like if its a rose hair for example.

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
Her heaters??

Use a space heater...the t shouldnt have heaters to plug in...what species do you have? Depending on the species, you may not need to worry about extra heat at all....like if its a rose hair for example.
I have a chilean rose hair but it gets in the high 50's down here to where I am shivering. She would need some heat. I know they're hardy but I feel that is too cold for her. She stops making webbing when it drops that low.

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
I found a small house spider in one of my G porteri's enclosures and they're upstairs o_O I feel I've read about people using coffee filters to cover vent holes to help keep out unwanted pests... but I have no knowledgeable sources as to whether that actually works/is helpful or not :bag:
It's worth a shot! Thank you!

cold blood

Staff member
I have a chilean rose hair but it gets in the high 50's down here to where I am shivering. She would need some heat. I know they're hardy but I feel that is too cold for her. She stops making webbing when it drops that low.
yeah a rose hair can deal with that just fine....but a little bump wouldnt be bad...but use a space heater...not a mat or lamp.

Fyi, the species is a minimalist when it comes to webbing....and eating for that matter...lol

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
For one spider I'd use a heat mat. I'd leave it about 6" off the side of the cage. Careful to keep water available as well.
Can't see anything going wrong with that.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I keep my collection in the basement and never have problems with the few extra critters wandering around. I always just assumed that if something made it into an enclosure it would be noticed and eventually become food, lol.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I keep my collection in the basement and never have problems with the few extra critters wandering around. I always just assumed that if something made it into an enclosure it would be noticed and eventually become food, lol.
While in general that is the case, my only concern would be pesticides/contaminants/parasites/etc. Same reasons why I would not intentionally feed them wild caught prey.

That being said, @xdyscrasia , if I were you I would not be too concerned about the extra critters. Recently a baby Araneus diadematus made a web on the side of one of my Scorpion enclosures. I just moved it outside and no one was any worse off.

There are other members around that have resident cobweb spiders and such that lurk the corners of their Enclosures. I personally have not heard of any major issues.

If you had ants in there, then I would remove the spider and eviscerate the room to destroy them. Ants are not a force to be taken lightly.

xdyscrasia

Arachnopeon
yeah a rose hair can deal with that just fine....but a little bump wouldnt be bad...but use a space heater...not a mat or lamp.

Fyi, the species is a minimalist when it comes to webbing....and eating for that matter...lol
Yeah they'really hardy, but they have their limits. Totally agree. I must have a gaudy old lady hahaha. I see her making webs a lot and she also crawls all over the tank. She's puzzled a few keepers because rose hairs are pet rocks for the most part.