Tarantula vs air conditioner

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
Im from NYC & live in an apartment with kids and pets, that being said I wouldn’t feel comfortable putting my T’s anywhere other than my bedroom. With these hot summer months I have to run my A/C, so my question is, is there anyway I can keep the right temp and humidity inside the enclosure while I’m comfortable myself???

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
AC won't be a problem unless you turn it below 60 degrees... AC also should not affect the humidity in the enclosure unless your have a lot of vent holes. Humidity should not be a factor in your husbandry, the husbandry isn't that complicated. Pay attention to substrate dampness, and add water to moisten if necessary depending on species.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Im from NYC & live in an apartment with kids and pets, that being said I wouldn’t feel comfortable putting my T’s anywhere other than my bedroom. With these hot summer months I have to run my A/C, so my question is, is there anyway I can keep the right temp and humidity inside the enclosure while I’m comfortable myself???
I run the A/C 24/7 during the summer to make it comfortable for me, and my tarantulas are fine.

Tiny slings may be a little more sensitive to cool temperatures.

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
unless your have a lot of vent holes.
AC won't be a problem unless you turn it below 60 degrees... AC also should not affect the humidity in the enclosure unless your have a lot of vent holes. Humidity should not be a factor in your husbandry, the husbandry isn't that complicated. Pay attention to substrate dampness, and add water to moisten if necessary depending on species.
I didn’t specify in my original post but your reply is exactly what I was worried about. “unless you have a lot of vent holes” Funny you mention that because I plan to get a C.Versicolor & from my understanding they need all those vent holes, so how do I keep the husbandry ideal for this specific species???

As soon as someone mentions HUMIDITY i immediately assume they have been reading care sheets.
At least you know your stuff lol

I run the A/C 24/7 during the summer to make it comfortable for me, and my tarantulas are fine.

Tiny slings may be a little more sensitive to cool temperatures.
Makes me a lil more comfortable and confident, thanks for the insight

Last edited by a moderator:

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire

I didn’t specify in my original post but your reply is exactly what I was worried about. “unless you have a lot of vent holes” Funny you mention that because I plan to get a C.Versicolor & from my understanding they need all those vent holes, so how do I keep the husbandry ideal for this specific species???
Keep it dry with a water dish.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron

Yes C. Versi need vent holes but just enough for air circulation in specific places like there is no point getting it putting it in an enclosure and only venting one side with loads of holes, some strategicly spaced vents holes are sufficient. Also for the op air con is fine I stay in Scotland but have it in my outhouse with my Ts as there is only 1 window in there and it can get hot with the sun in the summer so I run it quite a bit them for my comfort and the Ts have been fine so far

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
Yes C. Versi need vent holes but just enough for air circulation in specific places like there is no point getting it putting it in an enclosure and only venting one side with loads of holes, some strategicly spaced vents holes are sufficient. Also for the op air con is fine I stay in Scotland but have it in my outhouse with my Ts as there is only 1 window in there and it can get hot with the sun in the summer so I run it quite a bit them for my comfort and the Ts have been fine so far
Thanks

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No one knows what makes you comfortable.

Hot is a meaningless subjective term.

My friend thinks it’s hot when it’s over 68F other friend is hot when it’s over 90.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
''Tarantula vs Air conditioner''
''Dawn of humidity''

- Tarantula knocks down Air conditioner
- Air conditioner: ''Ma... Martha...''
- Tarantula: ''WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME''