1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantula venom, and anaphylaxis

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Matabuey, Sep 16, 2016.

1. atraxrobustus

atraxrobustus Arachnosquire

USA
    Advertisement
    The paradoxical thing to it is that severe enough pain in and of itself is enough to cause a cardiac arrest via a mechanism of vagal nerve response which induces a tachycardia (usually SVT that can quickly deteriorate, though VT and other Ventricular arrhythmias have been known to happen in such settings)- and given the fact that the patient was bitten by something, they're going to be quick to call it anaphalaxis assuming the given species doesn't cause the same reaction uniformly across the majority of individuals. Ergo, some of the cases that are getting labeled as such aren't true anaphalactic reactions, even though they are effectively treated in much the same way.

2. dragonfire1577

dragonfire1577 Arachnobaron Active Member

I know this thread is kinda old but a friend of mine has had an anaphylactic reaction to a Tarantula bite. He actually hadn't been bitten by a theraphosid before BUT he took a bad copperhead bite a few years back. Ever since every venomous bite or sting has pretty much landed him in the hospital, so it appears his allergy is a very broad condition. He had a particularly bad reaction to a hognose snake bite, which would normally be almost harmless and bees cause the same thing. He wasn't even bitten out of defense by the tarantula, a G. porteri was slipping on his hand and used it's fang to hold on but that was enough to require an epi-pen and send him to the ER. This is not something I am making up either, he has the actual hospital bills/reports, so I hope you guys find it interesting this has definitely happened before albeit it is an odd case.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Nikolas

Nikolas Arachnopeon

Greece
    Really interesting post, Thank you!