Tarantula toys!

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whose arguing? Poor choice of wording...mine or yours
In the context of discourse, arguments are a debate or discussion based on some kind of reasoning or evidence generally. But now this getting mighty off-topic so I don't reckon I'll be further discussing the usage of the word argument in context ;)

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the context of discourse, arguments are a debate or discussion based on some kind of reasoning or evidence generally. But now this getting mighty off-topic so I don't reckon I'll be further discussing the usage of the word argument in context ;)
Thanks. In my poor wording, I was just letting you know I am NOT trying to argue with you. A sense of humor is not a good thing to bring to a conversation about who paid attention more in class. (that's another bad joke also). ;) Unlike phobia, I hope you don't think because I got off topic a bit - I'm trolling. :rolleyes:

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In all reality aren't our emotions nothing more than advanced responses to stimuli with in our environment. The key difference is that we can put the said stimuli to use and analyze and see it for what it is. But in the end it is a response to stimuli.

So thanks for the stimulation.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is awesome! I wonder if you could collect T. Blondi venom using this if they attacked it. Not sure why you would want to though...

binky

Arachnopeon
I'm know this has kind of been put to rest, but we often talk about stressing a spider out - wouldn't that be an emotional response? I'm sure they can feel contentment as well (at least in the sense of "nothing is currently irking me")

That being said - are there any updates to tarantula + ping pong ball setups for those who have been trying it? I am curious as to how it's gone! :)

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Phobia: “They do not think it is an egg sack.

A spider recognises it's own egg sack by pheromones and hormones within the silk of the sack, the same way a male recognises a female of his species by scenting her webbing.”

Ummm...maybe. I watched this documentary in which a scientist was playing around with a true spider (can't recall which species) which had an egg sac held with it's front legs. With tweezers, the scientist was very lightly prodding the egg sac and the spider was vigorously defending it's prized possession from the 'attacker'. The scientist then replaced the egg sac with a rolled up ball of cellophane of the same size which the spider accepted and held with it's front legs in the same way that it held the sac. The guy started prodding with the tweezers again and the spider defended the cellophane ball just as vigorously as it had done with the egg sac.

By the way, I like playing tug-of-war with wolf spiders in the wild. Sometimes I get a blade of grass or a length of straw and stick that down the burrow. Most times, the spider will grab it and pull. Occasionally, they pull it right out of my hands! I always let them win with these tug-of-war games....

Last edited:

jallen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone ever smelled the inside of a freshly broken ping pong ball ? I have and it could be of some concern for your T's if they bite through it. The gases of the chemicals they use to make the balls gets trapped in its air tight construction and when broken smell like spirits of some kind wich I am sure they use to thin the plastic. It is very toxic and its not just a faint aroma it is super strong for hours or longer. I know this because I was messing with one and crushed it then I couldnt smell anything but like paint thinner and it was coming from the inside of the ball. Might be dangerous for a T if they bite it or something. Not playing down on the whole idea because I think its cool to get them to interact with things but I am not going to be using a ping pong ball any time soon.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then perhaps they think its na egg sac still-an abandoned egg sac is protien for a hungry t.. least thats how it works in the true spider worl I comenly feed black widow egg sacs that I dont have room for to toher black widows/jumping spiders/wolf spiders. Especialy for slings its the best food supply for those tiny basterds that I can find [other then each other]

I did that with my baby jumpers. I tried fruit flies and they ran from them, tried collembola and they got ticked off by them (even killing some so they would stop landing on their "tents") but hatch up some sac spiders for them and it's a baby spider massacre!

Fun games with jumpers - lazer pointers, mirrors or mouse cursors.

I wonder what we could get an arboreal to mess with since they'd be off the substrate where the ball would be. Magnets? :confused: Just a curiosity.

I don't think a ping pong ball is a bad idea. Definately couldn't hurt (unless your giving it to one very dinky spider) The hamster ball thing though... I thought that was cute in all of 1/8 a second until I thought of it. Haven't we done enough by caging the animal, now your going to put it in a little ball? :rolleyes:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone ever smelled the inside of a freshly broken ping pong ball ? I have and it could be of some concern for your T's if they bite through it. The gases of the chemicals they use to make the balls gets trapped in its air tight construction and when broken smell like spirits of some kind wich I am sure they use to thin the plastic. It is very toxic and its not just a faint aroma it is super strong for hours or longer. I know this because I was messing with one and crushed it then I couldnt smell anything but like paint thinner and it was coming from the inside of the ball. Might be dangerous for a T if they bite it or something. Not playing down on the whole idea because I think its cool to get them to interact with things but I am not going to be using a ping pong ball any time soon.
i agree.
ive smelled ping pong ball insides and i wouldnt ever use them for any animals.
maybe some rubber ball?

ElfDa

Arachnopeon
i cast True Resurrection.

so i was reading through here (skipping the argument), and saw several things of interest:

First, I'd asked around about tortoise toys on my tortoise forum, and have since discovered that my leopard tort only likes plastic hide boxes, and flings them about, daily.

Secondly, the mental image of Ts playing is way cute, and I plan to try balls of wool felt, once mine are big enough.

Thirdly, someone said their baby Ts were scared of fruit flies; I am having similar trouble.
Both of my wee Ts kind of freak out and run away from the flies (they are eventually devoured, probably out of spite as much as hunger).
I plan to get some tiny B. Lateralis roach nymphs, this week; do you think this will work out better?

I think that's enough necromancy on my part, for the night/morning; I'll let this zombie thread make the rounds, now. :D

ElfDa

Arachnopeon
for every new user who is amused by the concept of tarantula toys. :b

GoodSmeagol

Arachnopeon
I am a bit of a Necro so I will also comment here :)
For a real hoot, drill a small hole into the ping pong ball, and slip a superworm into it.
THEN give it to the T!
I used to do this with my hedgehog nightly, it would sniff sniff, then works on getting to the crunchy center!
Of course if your T is not immediately aroused by the smell of the worm the worm could just slip out....

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess I was the 1st person to ever respond to this topic. I never got any ping pong balls for any of my critters.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How many times must this thread be revived?
I, for one, am grateful that it was revived because I was unaware of its existence until tonight, and might never have been the wiser (it never, ever would have occurred to me to search "tarantula toys"...). Also, maybe between the day it was started and now we've gotten closer to some real understanding of the subject, in which case, let's hear it!

And what a fascinating subject it is! I hate to sound like a devil's advocate here, but (speaking of devils! ...) I have reached the conclusion, having observed my B. vagans Diablo for 2 years now, that objects I place in his enclosure seem to be sources of annoyance to him, and his efforts to move them around amount to nothing more than the desire to get them the hell out of his space. This includes water dishes - I did a thread a while back about finding Diablo's bottle-cap water dish balanced upright on its edge -

I mean, what the ...? Why? How? I would just love to know! Is he playing? Is he creating water-dish-as-art? Did he do this just to see if he could? (He's never done it since, by the way) ... Was this his way of saying to me, "Hey! Tarbender! Drimme a dink!" Or (and I think this is closer to the mark) was he just pissed off having the big polymer hunk of junk in his enclosure? Until somebody with way more smarts than me figures out the definitive motivation, the hypothetical possibilities are limitless.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe it just happened to move that dish as it was moving dirt, it being in the way... Really? Art?

ElfDa

Arachnopeon
my b. albopilosum, Chewbacca, seems to do a victory lap when he gets his first post-molt meal.
With prey in mouth, he runs up and over his hide, around the perimeter (sp) of his enclosure; rinse and repeat-- chewing his meal the whole time.

I worry that I am anthropomorphising to the extreme, but since he's not laying webbing and just trotting at a brisk pace, I can't imagine what else it could be-- it sure looks like excitement to this naked ape!