Tarantula Tanquilzers?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
is there such a thing? something to knock out a to sleep?(thats if that do???)

and do you think it would be possible?

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The cooler will work for some but there are spp. that seem to be extra sensitive to the cold so extra care should be used when attempting this.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Vets have used isofluorane to knock them out but without an anasthesia machine and a vet degree to purchase the stuff I don't guess this will be of much help.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why do you want to sedate your spider ??

Mike :?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
The should be a warning on the bottle may stunt growth in fast growing species over consumption may lead to inter genus breeding :) .

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
When the need arises, and ONLY then, I put them in the fridge. Time varies depending on species and size. I've only done this to paste up a hemo leak or something similar that would be-life threatening if I DIDN'T do it.

Otherwise, there is no reason to anesthetize a T.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
metallica said:
CO2 gas will do the trick
you'd have to be extremely careful with Co2... i'm not even sure it would work but if it did it could kill the t if not caause convulsions like in mice... i'm assuming you got the idea from people that use Co2 chambers as a humane way to kill live mice to feed their snakes?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also, in mice, i've read the Co2 causes convulsions or something of the sort..

RMBolton

Arachnopeon
In a genetics class, we do most of our research with Drosophila ssp. (fruit flies) and we must look at the flies under dissecting scopes in order to count various phenotypes. We use a product called 'flynap' from the Carolina Biological Supply Company to sedate the flies and I am wondering if this product would work on arachnids as well (it likely would). It is made up of Triethylamine and Ethanol (as well as a neutralizer). All you have to do is dip a cotton swab into the liquid and expose the animal to the fumes, they get completely knocked out for a good half hour....
Cheers,
R
P.S. Most people who work with 'flynap' are not concerned with the overall health of the animal after the treatment so it may not be a good idea for a pet Tarantula...