Tarantula Suppliments (multi vitamins & calcium) Will it hurt or Improve color and health?

AriZoNaS HacKeR

Arachnopeon
Just wondering here because i like to make my tarantulas the healthiest they can be when it comes to color and growth, Ive seen calcium and multivitamin stuff at the stores... moneys no prob to me nor is puttin the stuff on crickets but will it do any harm or any good? thanks

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
There is anecdotal evidence that points to excess calcium leading to molting problems (one of the big reasons people give for not feeding vertebrates to T's). While there is no strong scientific evidence it does cause problems, most will play the safe route and avoid giving extra calcium. I've never heard anyone say it affects the color of their tarantula.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
Just feed your T's crickets and/or roaches and they should be happy and fine. They're not usually too picky.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is anecdotal evidence that points to excess calcium leading to molting problems (one of the big reasons people give for not feeding vertebrates to T's). ...
This is another myth that's rampant throughout the arachnoculture hobby. Mostly bushwhack unsupported by anything beyond someone's imagination. See

SERIOUS Mold Issue w/ Theraphosa sp Burgundy. Need help

Re: Seriously???

Re: Losing leg after molt

Blaming molting problems on calcium is a lot like blaming cancer on drinking water. After all, everybody who ever got cancer drank water, didn't they? :roflmao:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just wondering here because i like to make my tarantulas the healthiest they can be when it comes to color and growth, Ive seen calcium and multivitamin stuff at the stores... moneys no prob to me nor is puttin the stuff on crickets but will it do any harm or any good? thanks
Even in humans multivitamins and calcium taken as supplements are completely worthless unless you are not getting a balanced diet. A lot of supplements you see for people on the market are water soluble as well so that bottle you bought is just going to be leaving you in your pee in 6 hours or less though it'll be far less valuable by then. Furthermore, over doing it on supplements can lead to hypervitaminosis which is just as dangerous if not more than being vitamin deficient.

Gut load your crickets/roaches with high quality cereals, dark green leafy greens, and fruits and you should have no issues requiring additional vitamin supplementation. If you still feel the need to waste your money, that is your choice.

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really dont think that a calcium supplement would do any good for an invertebrate, since they get their need for calcium from their food.