1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantula stressed! Help!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Svetlana14, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Svetlana14

Svetlana14 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So I recently confiscated my friend's tarantula because she wasn't taking care of it and refused to do anything when I told her it was severely stressed out. She doesn't know what kind or sex, I believe it's an Aphonopelma female, not sure of the species. It's about 3", it's hard to tell for sure because I have never seen it I any position besides the stress curl. She was keeping it in a large kritter keeper with about 2" of coconut fiber and a very large hide and water dish. The room she was keeping it in was extremely cold and people were constantly stomping by the room. It hasn't been eating either. I have since added more substrate, put in a smaller hide and water dish, and placed it in my room with my tarantulas where I have a space heater. My question is if there is anything else I can do to help this poor spider. I'm concerned for its well being, as it still has not come out of the stress curl and it's been about a week.

2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Post pics of it and the set up please.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Svetlana14

Svetlana14 Arachnopeon

I will as soon as I get home! I was in a rush and didn't have time to take pics before I left. I was hoping maybe someone could give me some ideas without pics in case I need to stop somewhere to pick anything up on the way home in the morning.

4. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Nope. Pics are needed. Stress curls are a normal part of being rehoused. It's not a huge deal. Pics will tell if anything needs to be changed.

All that's required is a hide, water dish, and substrate.

It could be a MM, and just dying.

5. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Sounds like you have done everything that you can so far for the spider. I agree about posting pictures just to get a better idea of what you have, but there isn't much else you can really do at this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Svetlana14

Svetlana14 Arachnopeon

I finally got a couple pictures . She's in her hide for the first time that I've ever seen. Also I want to mention the substrate is dry, the light just kinda makes it look wet. IMG_20171111_134512.jpg IMG_20171111_134533.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. BC1579

BC1579 Arachnoknight Active Member

Looks like you're on it. I think it's probably a good sign that the T is taking advantage of the improved home and hide.

8. Grace Cannell

Grace Cannell Arachnopeon

Yeah they can stress curl for a good while too. Be patient and things should improve, you've done all you can :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnosquire Active Member

When I first homed my klaasi it stayed in a stress curl for a good 4 hours or so