1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantula-sitter needs molting help!!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Wirepuller, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Wirepuller

Wirepuller Arachnopeon

alberta
    Advertisement
    i am tarantula-sitting for a friend and it molted. I need help with what to do....the entire carapace is attached to it in the center back and it can hardly move and I think it injured one of its legs from trying to move. I'm keeping the humidity very high right now too...Do I let nature take its course or do I intervene and if so, WHAT DO I DO????. Please help!

Photo 2017-09-12, 6 02 39 PM.jpg

2. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Make sure it has access to a water dish. If you have tongs and the molt is still sort of mushy, you can hold the molt still and let the T pull itself away.

3. Wirepuller

Wirepuller Arachnopeon

alberta
    Thanks fo reply,
    I have water close to her as she cannot move very easily and the molt is dry and crusty....should I try to cut away obvious parts off her so she can move easier?

4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

How long ago was the molt? That last thing you should be doing with a freshly molted spider is messing with it.

I don't see anything wrong here. At the very least its book lungs are free, meaning it can breathe. I say just leave it be. Don't bother with the high humidity, this looks like an arid species.

5. Kendricks

Kendricks Arachnosquire

Germany
    [​IMG]

As others said, provide water (no need to put it in a rainforest-climate btw) and keep an eye on it.
    The remaining stuff usually comes off after a while and if really not, one might consider helping - but do not do that until you provided more pictures, please.

Most likely it'll be alright, move along, keep moving, no worries! :D