Tarantula question

Trenor

Arachnoprince
You clearly misunderstood what I meant, and I havent seen anyone who supports the use of wood chips for tarantula substrate. Call me what you want, but I wasn't being whatever your implying, just educating the clearly uneducated owner. People should know about their pets if they want to own them.

Your not exactly helping by enabling the use of wood chips...if you see something wrong in husbandry you point it out, isn't that the whole point of this site? Spreading the right information? Take it with what ever sense you would like but everything I said was directly to the point.
?
If it does make it I'd change the substrate out for something more suitable.
Since then most people have moved over to using cocofiber or dirt for substrate which is better for Ts.
There are better substrates
I have no problem pointing out issues with keeper care and I can do so in a decent helpful manor. See above.

You took someone who had never met another keeper, got a T before there was any info at age 11. Who has kept it longer then a lot of people on the broads have kept and lost Ts. The first time she interacts with other keepers (upset her T is not well) she get this:
If you weren't prepared for criticism I don't know why you posted in the first place.

criticism = improvement. maybe could of been worded better, but still.
I agree that correcting problems does help and improve. People should be a good force in the hobby they want others to like and enjoy.

Last edited:

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Sorry to hear your furball isnt doing well. Is she curled up, leaking fluid, or have any noticeable wounds? Is the enclosure recently cleaned? I noticed there doesnt seem to be any webbing at all. I know this species isnt a major webber, or anything, but most lay down some around their hides.

cold blood

Staff member
OP, some things to consider...first is that this species lives a really really long time...speculation is 40+ (for females) and I believe that myself. Because of this, I am always reluctant to jump to old age, although there's always an end for everything obviously.

Also, as they get old, their molt cycle stretches waaaaaaayyy out, like every 3-6 years. Mine has been on a 5 year molt cycle since I got her 17 years ago, so she was older when I got her. I speculate she's at least 30, not likely younger, but possibly older. The point here is, that as an aging female, the 5 years since molting and the year without food is actually normal for old ones, especially if they are fed well when they are eating, and being in the water dish....to me this isn't a death sign, its a possible late pre-molt sign.

Another thing to consider is a MM. Being that its last molt was 5 years ago, it wouldn't shock me at all for a MM of this species to last this long, and 12 years is right about where I would expect a male to mature, so this is indeed, also entirely possible. Mature males are also IME, more prone to dehydration, especially as they age (in the water dish).

Some good pics of the ends of the palps would clear this right up, and if you have any pics from the last 5 years, they may show us enough as well. This is also one of the very few species where a MM will on very rare occasion, successfully molt (generally if they try, they die).

Couple things on the sub, yeah, its not a death sentence to use chips, but its certainly a dangerous option. Animals survive less than ideal conditions all the time, their survival isn't an endorsement of their less than ideal conditions.

That said, its also important to note that substrate doesn't really need to be changed out. Tarantulas aren't very dirty, maintenance is as easy as removing feeders and picking out the bolus when you find them. Changing sub is actually pretty disruptive for them, they prefer their webbed areas, even if they are only lightly webbed. I haven't changed mine once in that 17 years I have had mine.

Please don't take criticism personally (people really want to help you become a better keeper), there is a huge problem in this hobby with regards to the disconnect between actual keepers and pet store and internet care sheet info. And if you only look in those places, you would never know that the advice they gave was straight up terrible. :yuck: A vast majority of the beginner emergency threads we see, are a direct result of care sheet or pet store advice being followed to the letter:banghead:, which frankly, drives most of us bonkers.:wacky:

I urge you to start over, the good news is that all the info you need is already here, just waiting for you to read and soak up. This site is full of actual long time keepers, and because there are so many of us, poor info is quickly corrected, making this one of, if not the most reliable places on the planet to learn about tarantulas.

Be the sponge! Focus on the info, and not the delivery of that info...how you perceive the attitudes of others won't make info any less or more valuable...don't take things personally, it will literally never go well on a forum, and it would be of a benefit to stick around and become part of the community...its a great place here...if you have the right mind set.

Good luck with the t, get us some pics and keep us posted.

PeanutTheTarantula

Arachnopeon
OP, some things to consider...first is that this species lives a really really long time...speculation is 40+ (for females) and I believe that myself. Because of this, I am always reluctant to jump to old age, although there's always an end for everything obviously.

Also, as they get old, their molt cycle stretches waaaaaaayyy out, like every 3-6 years. Mine has been on a 5 year molt cycle since I got her 17 years ago, so she was older when I got her. I speculate she's at least 30, not likely younger, but possibly older. The point here is, that as an aging female, the 5 years since molting and the year without food is actually normal for old ones, especially if they are fed well when they are eating, and being in the water dish....to me this isn't a death sign, its a possible late pre-molt sign.

Another thing to consider is a MM. Being that its last molt was 5 years ago, it wouldn't shock me at all for a MM of this species to last this long, and 12 years is right about where I would expect a male to mature, so this is indeed, also entirely possible. Mature males are also IME, more prone to dehydration, especially as they age (in the water dish).

Some good pics of the ends of the palps would clear this right up, and if you have any pics from the last 5 years, they may show us enough as well. This is also one of the very few species where a MM will on very rare occasion, successfully molt (generally if they try, they die).

Couple things on the sub, yeah, its not a death sentence to use chips, but its certainly a dangerous option. Animals survive less than ideal conditions all the time, their survival isn't an endorsement of their less than ideal conditions.

That said, its also important to note that substrate doesn't really need to be changed out. Tarantulas aren't very dirty, maintenance is as easy as removing feeders and picking out the bolus when you find them. Changing sub is actually pretty disruptive for them, they prefer their webbed areas, even if they are only lightly webbed. I haven't changed mine once in that 17 years I have had mine.

Please don't take criticism personally (people really want to help you become a better keeper), there is a huge problem in this hobby with regards to the disconnect between actual keepers and pet store and internet care sheet info. And if you only look in those places, you would never know that the advice they gave was straight up terrible. :yuck: A vast majority of the beginner emergency threads we see, are a direct result of care sheet or pet store advice being followed to the letter:banghead:, which frankly, drives most of us bonkers.:wacky:

I urge you to start over, the good news is that all the info you need is already here, just waiting for you to read and soak up. This site is full of actual long time keepers, and because there are so many of us, poor info is quickly corrected, making this one of, if not the most reliable places on the planet to learn about tarantulas.

Be the sponge! Focus on the info, and not the delivery of that info...how you perceive the attitudes of others won't make info any less or more valuable...don't take things personally, it will literally never go well on a forum, and it would be of a benefit to stick around and become part of the community...its a great place here...if you have the right mind set.

Good luck with the t, get us some pics and keep us posted.
Thank you so much.
Im just hurting that it could be over with her. She always webs behind the log and around the water dish. I dont usually change that area. I plan to stick around and learn about some other species. I would like to start with reading about all the others. Thank you for your post. Im waiting a few more days to see if she pulls through. Her legs arent curled, she isnt leaking, her abdomin is full, a little bald in one spot but still good. If this is the end then im gonna start fresh, with a lot more info then i did 17 years ago.

PeanutTheTarantula

Arachnopeon
If you get a pet when you're a kid, you usually care for it the way you're told. Time passes, it's working, and you never have reason to think you're doing anything wrong.
Thank you, i had no reason to think i was doing anything wrong until i noticed her acting different... 17 years very active, she was amazing!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have no problem pointing out issues with keeper care and I can do so in a decent helpful manor. See above.

I agree that correcting problems does help and improve. People should be a good force in the hobby they want others to like and enjoy.
I'm at work so I dont have much time to reply, all I can say to you is that my intent was to point out the clear flaws just as you did. Maybe I could of been less abrupt in my approach. The OP was clearly on the defensive and I get that, given the circumstances. Doesn't make my post any less true.
Thats what she came with. So i change them out every time i clean. Never had a problem. They are perfectly fine to use.
Even after we pointed it out, OP made up her mind. I was only making it clear why this was a bad choice to keep her T on, not attacking anyone. Your the one making these insinuations about what I'm doing. Perspective is everything, and in my perspective my post was helpful and straight to the point. You shouldn't jump to conclusions, if you don't think what I said was decent that's your opinion, it really wasn't my intention.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Definitely a female if you had her for 17 years. Sorry for your loss, it's hard to loose any pets, let alone one you've had for that long.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
All this talk of keeping tarantulas in the old days makes me laugh. You guys live in luxury!When I got into it, we were forced to keep them on a mixture of dads old razor blades and roofing nails, and we were thrilled to even have that! And you all have your spiders in RUBs, Exoterras, and aquariums for enclosures? Pshaw! We had the plastic bubble things that you get prizes in in bubble-gum machines, cardboard boxes and if we were REALLY lucky, maybe an old rusty canary cage we scavenged from the dump.
And look how easily species are to obtain now!
Do you know how many hours keepers spent on the loading docks waiting for shipments of bananas to arrive in the hope of a tarantula having concealed itself within them? I finally got lucky and found one, only to discover 9 years later that it was actually just a wad of discarded pipe-cleaners! Still loved the little guy, though. Named him Fuzzy, I was sure it was just a sedentary B. albopilosum.

Don't even get me started on obtaining feeders.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I finally got lucky and found one, only to discover 9 years later that it was actually just a wad of discarded pipe-cleaners! Still loved the little guy, though. Named him Fuzzy, I was sure it was just a sedentary B. albopilosum.

Don't even get me started on obtaining feeders.
Pipe cleaners confused for a B. albo! I know you were joking, but...this has me laughing so hard right now!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh my god, you are a riot! :happy:

Last edited:

TarantulaArvind

Arachnopeon
I have never met another person who owns a tarantula. Which is why I am posting on here, just came across this site recently... I did my best with what I was shown to do.. But its not good enough for this group apparently
firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss.. i know how it feels whenu loose something that you've practically grown up with...

it's ok.. ppl weren't being condescending or anything.. they jus want the best for the tarantula and you( the kepper). I'm sorry if it felt as though we were coming out strongly against you. Seeing that your tarantula lived hale and heartily for >17 years despite being kept on wood chips, shows that you were/are are good tarantula keeper even with the limited knowledge that you had. plz don't feel bad or discouraged. now that u know this site, take all that it has to offer and continue with tarantula keeping with more indepth knowledge.

Last edited:

Karlisen

Arachnopeon
The wood chips where deffinately a bad call but I doubt it killed your tarantula.. I'm sorry you lost an animal that you have taken care of and I'm sure bonded with in some way over the last seventeen years.. Must be tough..
It's sticking out of its abdomen?! And you doubt that is what it died from?

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Might be wrong and dont have time to dbl check right now but I think op said woodchip is where it is from lifting up hide not from falling?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It's sticking out of its abdomen?! And you doubt that is what it died from?
You misunderstood what you read. The chips fell on it when she was moving the hide for a photo. There was no evidence of a fall or that it was impaled by wood chips.

Karlisen

Arachnopeon
You misunderstood what you read. The chips fell on it when she was moving the hide for a photo. There was no evidence of a fall or that it was impaled by wood chips.
I'm not trying to be rude or anything but i didn't base what i said on what i read, you can clearly see in the picture that the tarantula is impaled at at least 2 places. Either that or can you explain why the woodchippings are standing on their tips in the middle of the indents of the tarantula?