Tarantula question

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
where about are you in Ontario? ill happily replace your spider with a different one if you're close by.. once youve got proper care down of course.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So because she came with it that means it's good? If you knew the basics of tarantula care you would know wood chips are a big no no. They can be toxic depending on what tree they are from and are filled with sharp jagged edges. They also slowly turn to dust like mulch over time, not good for your spider.

If you weren't prepared for criticism I don't know why you posted in the first place. I know it sucks to lose a pet but you need to look at this from a broader perspective, we are only commenting on what we see, and the reality is you owned a pet for 17 years that you know nearly nothing about.
Wow, really? So if you don't want people to be a _____ to you don't post? Good job bro.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
where about are you in Ontario? ill happily replace your spider with a different one if you're close by.. once youve got proper care down of course.
What Trenor said bro.. It's people like you viper and coldblood I would happily gift MM or slings too.. Sucks your not in the states I have some A.metallicas cooking..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well here, in the 90s, everyone I knew who had them got them from local pet stores. That was what they were on in the store and what people were sold to keep them on. There was no internet or books to tell anyone other wise. I can't speak for anywhere but NC but every pet store here that had them (that I saw) had them on wood chips
I do remember of course those glorious No Internet Era days, but frankly here no one suggested that for substrate. But, again... things were completely different here: Petco & Pet Shops selling arachnids didn't existed (nor exist today) only arachnid enthusiasts like you, me, others, selling T's.

To think that, prior knowing that T's were legally in Italy, I always considered (ah ah) the U.S as the 'ancestral land' of T's keeping. Clearly I was wrong :troll:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I do remember of course those glorious No Internet Era days, but frankly here no one suggested that for substrate. But, again... things were completely different here: Petco & Pet Shops selling arachnids didn't existed, only arachnid enthusiasts.

To think that, prior knowing that T's were legally in Italy, I always considered (ah ah) the U.S as the 'ancestral land' of T's keeping. Clearly I was wrong :troll:
Most people here didn't buy from breeders that I'm aware of. They all got them from MOM and Pop pet stores. You were lucky if you knew more than two people with Ts. I didn't know but a few and I knew a lot of exotic pet peeps.

Kids these days have it easy with exotic pets. :D

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Wow, really? So if you don't want people to be a _____ to you don't post? Good job bro.
You clearly misunderstood what I meant, and I havent seen anyone who supports the use of wood chips for tarantula substrate. Call me what you want, but I wasn't being whatever your implying, just educating the clearly uneducated owner. People should know about their pets if they want to own them.

Your not exactly helping by enabling the use of wood chips...if you see something wrong in husbandry you point it out, isn't that the whole point of this site? Spreading the right information? Take it with what ever sense you would like but everything I said was directly to the point.

PeanutTheTarantula

Arachnopeon
Thank
So because she came with it that means it's good? If you knew the basics of tarantula care you would know wood chips are a big no no. They can be toxic depending on what tree they are from and are filled with sharp jagged edges. They also slowly turn to dust like mulch over time, not good for your spider.

If you weren't prepared for criticism I don't know why you posted in the first place. I know it sucks to lose a pet but you need to look at this from a broader perspective, we are only commenting on what we see, and the reality is you owned a pet for 17 years that you know nearly nothing about.
Thanks but I was 11 and took care of her very well. Where I live it was reccomened to stick with chips. I followed all directions I was given and took care of her very well, seeing as she lived a long healthy life of over 17! Pretty good for starting at 11 i would say.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You can say that, my man. They have the online, knowledge literally in hands. Sites like this one, for ask in no time.

But I have nostalgia of that era. Those sellers (majority of them were breeders, others only good keepers in contact with breeders) gave us all the essential, right advice (substrate, the mania for water dish etc).

They had a nice assortment of T's (back then the 'blue' ones, mostly H.lividum, were the 'Grail' here) and IMO honest prices.

:angelic:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Most people here didn't buy from breeders that I'm aware of. They all got them from MOM and Pop pet stores. You were lucky if you knew more than two people with Ts. I didn't know but a few and I knew a lot of exotic pet peeps.

Yea couldn't agree more.. Back in the mid 90s I was involved in several high end petshops that specialized in exotics and I was the go to tarantula guy.. I knew all of the other local keepers and we were doing it all basically the same and having decent results..

I realized I knew nothing and was doing things backassward as soon as I got in touch with Botar in early 2000.. It was like a veil was lifted and behind it was pure knowledge..

Now that I'm into this hobby for decades and consider myself proficient at keeping Tarantulas I still just from being on this forum and reading what alot of other experienced keepers have to say learn something new almost every day..

PeanutTheTarantula

Arachnopeon

I have never met another person who owns a tarantula. Which is why I am posting on here, just came across this site recently... I did my best with what I was shown to do.. But its not good enough for this group apparently

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I ha

hav never met another person who owns a tarantula. Which is why I am posting on here... I did my best with what I was shown to do.. But its not good enough for this group apparently
we all started from somewhere ;) i used wood chips for a while at first as well, but now i know theres better and safer substrates out there.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
But its not good enough for this group apparently
Ahh.. Kind of hard to say that when the majority have been sympathetic and one keeper offered you a free T.. Hell I would of done the same if you were in the states knowing that it is going to someone that kept there previous T alive for 17 years.. I have so many G.rosea and porteri kicking around right now that I'm extremely happy they have such slow metabolisms.

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Wow thanks for being rude. Her name is peanut.. Not some stupid meme. No she is not impailed its just sitting on her leg/abdomen.The chip fell when i moved the log to get a good picture. And obvioulsy i took care of her if shes over 17 years old seeing as i had her after she was full grown so shes closer to 20. But thanks for your comment.
I'm actually rather shocked that they thought it was me playing a joke. The Peanut story is pretty long, but in short, I met a tarantula named Peanut awhile back and they loved the story. But guys... this is a person whose tarantula is dead or dying, and you're making fun of it? Come on. Be mature.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
we all started from somewhere ;) i used wood chips for a while at first as well, but now i know theres better and safer substrates out there.
My first T was housed on gravel.. It was a male A.hentzi that lived like 8yrs on that one inch layer of rough :mooning: gravel with a half coconut as hide and a water dish with a sponge in it.. There was a massive lack of husbandry information back when I was ten..

With the web New keepers will never understand our struggles finding proper care information in the early days..

With that said I'm going to head off now before I start talking about how I had to walk fifty miles up hill to school with tissue boxes taped to my feet... (I wonder how many members are old enough to get that one);)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
My first T was housed on gravel.. It was a male A.hentzi that lived like 8yrs on that one inch layer of rough :mooning: gravel with a half coconut as hide and a water dish with a sponge in it.. There was a massive lack of husbandry information back when I was ten..

With the web New keepers will never understand our struggles finding proper care information in the early days..

With that said I'm going to head off now before I start talking about how I had to walk fifty miles up hill to school with tissue boxes taped to my feet... (I wonder how many members are old enough to get that one);)
my first at 9 was a G porteri in a 10g filled a third with peat moss, normal water bowl, and some rocks for a hide, screen lid and heat pad. got tired of it and sold it after a couple years. was not the most attentive keeper.. which is why i dont recommend tarantulas to people under 12. got all my first info here http://tarantulas.com/ not the worst, but far from the best.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm actually rather shocked that they thought it was me playing a joke. The Peanut story is pretty long, but in short, I met a tarantula named Peanut awhile back and they loved the story. But guys... this is a person whose tarantula is dead or dying, and you're making fun of it? Come on. Be mature.
Uhm, actually man I never said that "was you". Mine was just a joke about "your" Peanut, and not a laugh directed to OP.

Just that PeanutTheTarantula was impossible to resist :kiss:

While he can defend himself (obviously) I permit myself to say that even EulersK had probably a same/similar feeling. He's here for help, not to mock... how much people he helped with his videos and posts here?

I apologize to OP if my joke offended you but wasn't directed to you not to your dead spider :-s

Leila

Arachnobaron
You guys...:embarrassed: clearly @PeanutTheTarantula is really upset about possibly losing her long-time pet.:( I am not trying to be a butthead to any of you here; in fact, a lot of you have been Very sweet to her. :shy:

I'm just saying: lay off the criticism of substrate right now at least.... The poor girl is probably very emotional. I know I would be if I were in her situation....

Peanut, I am sorry to hear that your time with your dear friend might possibly be coming to an end. Unfortunately, nature persists whether we like it or not. :(

I really do not believe anyone meant you harm. There are experienced hobbyists here who will stick their necks out just to assist those of us who need help/info, and I Love that. Listen to the advice these folks give you, love. :) (@Venom1080 that was sooo nice of you!!! You sweetheart!)

Much love to you, darling.

You must have done something right to have had your beautiful T for as long as you did. :shy:

Last edited:

eminart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got my first T back in the late 80's. It was a wild caught B. smithi. I was about 11 years old and I got it from a local pet store in my little rural town. I didn't know anyone who owned tarantulas. The only info I had came from a terrible book I bought from the same pet store. I kept it on some dusty dirt I'd dug out of the shed floor. I fed it mostly black crickets I caught in the yard, and, occasionally, leftover fishing bait crickets. I kept it for probably a couple of years before it died of what I now know was some sort of tumor.

But, I think you guys should cut this person some slack. If you get a pet when you're a kid, you usually care for it the way you're told. Time passes, it's working, and you never have reason to think you're doing anything wrong.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
But, I think you guys should cut this person some slack. If you get a pet when you're a kid, you usually care for it the way you're told. Time passes, it's working, and you never have reason to think you're doing anything wrong.
who's being rude, or too blunt here?