Tarantula played dead and nearly bit me!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Where did you get that idea? My big female has a elaborate two entrance burrow in her XL kritter keeper.
Lucky you mine just refused to burrow give them around 7”-10” in substrate or so in the 10gals or 20 gal long.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Lucky you mine just refused to burrow give them around 7”-10” in substrate or so in the 10gals or 20 gal long.
Yeah, I have 2 freebie slings, one burrows, the other just uses it's hide. Never really thought about the one using its hide not burrowing. I wonder if its possible only females burrow, while males prefer to wander on the surface?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
How large is your specimen? All my Lasiodora burrowed pretty extensively as slings, then completely stopped when they surpassed the 2-3'' mark.
I wonder if its possible only females burrow, while males prefer to wander on the surface?
No definitely nothing to do with sex. Under natural circumstances, both sexes will occupy a burrow for almost their entire lifespan. Of course, once males mature then they abandon their burrows for good.

In captivity, there will always be some variation with each specimen and their behavior.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
How large is your specimen? All my Lasiodora burrowed pretty extensively as slings, then completely stopped when they surpassed the 2-3'' mark.

No definitely nothing to do with sex. Under natural circumstances, both sexes will occupy a burrow for almost their entire lifespan. Of course, once males mature then they abandon their burrows for good.

In captivity, there will always be some variation with each specimen and their behavior.
Full grown mostly a few are still juvies. Not that they don’t still grow a tiny amount still each molt.
All are over 3” size .

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Make that substrate as deep as you can and give it a starter burrow. My Chilobrachys are a lot calmer when they have room to burrow and a place to retreat. I've only seen a threat posture from my fimbriatus once, and that was when I was moving her from her old, shallow enclosure into an enclosure with much more burrow room. After that she calmed down a lot.
This, they just run back into their burrows, no hassle at all (apart from the rehouse mishap where I had to chase a C. huahini around my room lol).

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I have 2 freebie slings, one burrows, the other just uses it's hide. Never really thought about the one using its hide not burrowing. I wonder if its possible only females burrow, while males prefer to wander on the surface?
My 3 slings have never showed much interest in hides or burrowing. - i wonder if this might be why they need to have 1000+ eggs per sack LOL.