1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantula of the unkown kind.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Aubrey Sidwell, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Aubrey Sidwell

Aubrey Sidwell Arachnobaron Old Timer

Oregon
    Advertisement
    Tarantula of the unknown kind.

I recently received some tarantulas I purchased as Euathlus sp. "chilean fire". What I received looks nothing like what I had imagined and I would like some help in possibly identifying them or at the very least figuring out what genus they are in if it turns out they are not Euathlus. I am providing some photos for you to look at which include unsexed adults and a mature male. I have never posted in the "Picture ID" section of this forum so it was easier for me to post it here.

Unsexed
    [​IMG]

Unsexed "abdomen"
    [​IMG]

Unsexed "ventral"
    [​IMG]

Mature male "tibial hook"
    [​IMG]

Mature male "embolus"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. Aurelia

Aurelia Arachnoprince

hmm...my guess is red phase G. rosea.

3. Arborealis

Arborealis Arachnoknight

Definitely looks like a G. rosea.

4. gride225

gride225 Arachnosquire

i also have a Euthalus sp. Chilean fire. I was told they are not Grammostola sp. and I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt. they seem to act like G Rosea but mine looks very similar to yours. how are you keeping him, terrestrial set-up?

5. Steveyruss

Steveyruss Arachnosquire

Looks like a normal rosie to me...

6. +1
    Usual G. rosea RCF and has nothing in common with any of known Euathlus sp.
    Any close-up of the scopula?

7. clearlysaid

clearlysaid Arachnobaron

I've bought the same "Euathlus sp." before from Mark Lucas. It's a G rosea RCF.

8. CFNSmok.PL

CFNSmok.PL Arachnoknight Old Timer

It does look like G. rosea RCF.

Smok

9. if it helps one looks to be a female....

10. Widowman10

Widowman10 Arachnoemperor

seconded..

and it does appear pretty G. rosea-ish to me as well.

11. WARPIG

WARPIG Arachnoangel

Agreed with everyone on G rosea RCF

PIG-

12. Aubrey Sidwell

Oregon
    I have not set them up in permanent homes yet. They are in deli cups but will be moving into larger shoebox sized sterilite containers with a water dish and 3-4 inches of coir substrate.

I have not tried to get a photo of the scoplua but I can try and post it up here later. My camera may not be able to get close enough for the detail level needed.

13. tacoma0680

tacoma0680 Arachnobaron Old Timer

I think it's Euathlus sp. Final answer. Bzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!{D

14. Mushroom Spore

Mushroom Spore Arachnoemperor Old Timer

15. Rick McJimsey

Rick McJimsey Arachnoprince

either g,rosea rcf, or maybe paraphysa scrofa?

16. GailC

GailC Arachnoprince Old Timer

I vote RCF rosea too, you can even see a slight pink tint on the carapace.

17. Aubrey Sidwell

Oregon
    Thats what happens when you buy from an importer. They don't usually provide photos and they don't always know what they are selling. I take the risk because it usually works in my favor. In this case I didn't give much for them so even if they turn out to be G. rosea RCF I don't care.:cool:

18. reptist

reptist Arachnobaron Old Timer

Euathlus sp.

If that spider is Grammastola rosea where is the mirror patch on the abdomen, I'm guessing they walk w/ a strange gate as well usualy keeping the 3rd leg elevated in some strange posture, I have also had them and have also compared them to the RCF rosea and the differances are slight but are there, I noticed it most in the way they move, they just dont act like rosea, and its consistant w/ all of the specimen I have had, I have C/B babies now @ the eggs w/ legs stage and have sold a few adults as E. sp chilean fire, which I bought them as and everyone that has seen them up close seems to notice the differances as well, pix do not do this sp. justice as I'm sure the OP can attest to, my money would have to rest on Paraphysa or Euathlus sp. although in photos they do look verry much like G rosea RCF, if you see them in person especialy next to a G rosea RCF you can tell the differance not only in appearance but also in the way they act, PEACE, B.

View attachment 69345

View attachment 69346

View attachment 69347

View attachment 69348

View attachment 69349

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  19. Pink-Poodle88

Pink-Poodle88 Arachnoknight

Looks like a G. rosea to me as well, but hard to tell.

20. Does not look like any Euathlus species that I have ever seen. It's carapace definitely looks like G. rosea. Even the legs and setae look rosea, probably red color phase.