Tarantula not moving...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
"Get a B. hamorii" they said,
"They're docile and pettable and love being handled" they said...

The other risk that might not have been mentioned is that a tarantula's temperament can change at any time (even from moult to moult), the girl pictured above used to be my most docile tarantula and one of the few that I would handle back when I was still fairly new to this and thought handling was the done thing. Anyway, after her second moult in my care she had a complete personality change, she'd immediately throw up threat postures, slap the ground and try to tag anything in reach, she makes some of my "grumpy" OW species look like sweethearts in comparison.

fleetwoodmcc

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately you nor I will ever know for sure if the “concept of ‘natural environment’ is meaningless to a tarantula” simply for the fact that they cannot communicate to us if they grasp that concept. Also: “meeting needs that must be met to live” is not the definition of thriving. I believe a thriving tarantula is one that is living happily in the environment that they have chosen for themselves... i.e. their “natural habitat”, or their native habitat.
I don't want to pile on you, but this concept is just absurd. Tarantulas can't choose anything, they don't even have the concept of choice. The anthropomorphism of tarantulas can sometimes be a bit much, and you need to put that concept aside. This animal isn't willingly choosing to get in your hand. There is probably not a single thought the brains of a human and a tarantula have that are alike; we cannot hope to comprehend their behavior.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A pic of your setup would be helpful. From the little I saw, it's enough to say that your T's name may change to SPLAT one day because the DLS is too large. Remember, it doesn't expect to fall a high distance. It's your job to protect your T the best you know how to. Which leads to the next fun topic.

but other than that she doesn’t seem to move. Any suggestions???
What are you expecting, an animal that moves around like squirrel or a bird etc. If you want an active pet, like a fish, get a different animal. ;)

because I know the opinions are extremely negative.
For good reason, we see a lot of Ts that die from handling-- all preventable if the owners are smart enough to control themselves.

I know the risks involved with handling
But your T doesn't ;) Your T can't make an informed choice, so apparent negligent behavior is not wise.

But I don’t think the risks acociated with handling a tarantula are any different from shipping them in the mail, or handling bearded dragons, or even handling a newborn baby.
Really? You think handling a bearded dragon is just as bad? It isn't, they are the lapdogs of the reptile world. Not to mention they are aware enough to determine height, and make informed decisions about jumping off owner etc etc. Ts can't do that. They jump and "hope" they don't die.

Last edited:

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Fill the tank up to about 6-7 inches from the top and you should be good. My Aphonopelma chalcodes is a climber at night. I used a Lexan top I drilled holes into rather than a mesh top. She is always actively waking around when the lights go out. During the day she just sits around her enclosure. She rarely uses her hide. Sneak in at night with a flashlight and I bet you find her wandering around the enclosure.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I am not resistant to the idea. I am however, avoiding it. I was hoping to avoid it before even bringing it up, because I know the opinions are extremely negative. I know the risks involved with handling, but to point out the selfishness of handling, in my opinion, is somewhat hypcrytical concidering: keeping tarantulas in an environment different in any way from their NATURAL one may be unbenifical to them. No more and no less than handling them would be. I’m hoping to not become too much more discouraged and turned off to this forum by the opinions against my choices for my pet. Thanks guys.
Given that most species number one goal is undeniably proven to be Survival and breeding, the hobby and keeping in general prevent the species from being hunted and killed at a much higher rate I'd imagine. Atleast if the keeper is a proper keeper yeah? Idk I think that's a huge benefit, and why some species- aka dogs/cats/corn~ etc evolved co-habituating with humans to increase their OWN survival rates. And all succeeded.

darknessk

Arachnopeon
Hey! Dont isten to anyone here, if they say you cant handle tarantulas, they say this, cause they wont want handle them.
You can handle tarantulas, the protection u must wear it depends of the specie of the spider, there are species which doesnt bite and wont urinate the hairs u dont need anything to wear. U got a mexican red knee which is amongst the calmest species. If u handle it need to attention for these:dont get your eyes near the spider cause it will think you are a predator, they cankicking hairs. Second one, dont risk the fall, if u handle sit down a couch or above a fluffy carpet or u can take it near the ground. Keeper of a lot of tarantulas, hope i helped .Near moult and after it dont take it out

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hey! Dont isten to anyone here, if they say you cant handle tarantulas, they say this, cause they wont want handle them.
You can handle tarantulas, the protection u must wear it depends of the specie of the spider, there are species which doesnt bite and wont urinate the hairs u dont need anything to wear. U got a mexican red knee which is amongst the calmest species. If u handle it need to attention for these:dont get your eyes near the spider cause it will think you are a predator, they cankicking hairs. Second one, dont risk the fall, if u handle sit down a couch or above a fluffy carpet or u can take it near the ground. Keeper of a lot of tarantulas, hope i helped .Near moult and after it dont take it out
Op was last seen here 5 years ago, you’re not helping them with a losing argument on handling. :rofl: :rofl: