1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantula not eating

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by kevinlowl, May 15, 2018.

1. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    Advertisement
    I have a Hysterocrates gigas and a Haplopelma albostriatum that have both been unable to eat, as far as I can tell. They can grab the mealworm in their jaws but I don't see them gaining mass. They have not eaten for a few months now, since they've last molted. Is this possibly a problem with the sucking stomach? I had an LP sling that faced the same issue once and it lived through a molt without eating. Not sure if these two could do the same given that they're no longer slings but juveniles around 2 inches. Also the gigas looks like it has a cyst on top of the abdomen located near the connection with the thorax. Maybe it has something to do with the eating problem, maybe not. Is my only option just to wait for these two to hopefully molt again? Are they doomed to die?

2. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnosquire

If possible would you have the previous molts? There you could check the sucking stomach to see if it's there.

3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Its a rare issue...to have 2 have the same bad molt...well odds are very much against that possibility.

4. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    The gigas destroyed the molt and the haplopelma has the sucking stomach there in the previous molt.

@cold blood That's what I thought. Most likely my two guys are having other type of problems.

5. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnoknight

KL
    Well I just checked on them and apparently the Haplopelma albostriatum is a MATURE MALE.

But he's so small??? lol

6. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

Not unheard of

• Informative Informative x 1