Tarantula mishandled by big pet shop HELP

Buy her ?

• Total voters

Teik1066

Arachnopeon
A week ago while buying crickets for my Ts and catfood in the local big chain petshop close to my place I stumbled upon a Tarentula being stored there in display (to be sold).

Now... I went in that shop regularly for like a year and they never sold Ts (their target public is people having dogs/cats/fishtanks but they still breed crickets in the backroom) so I asked if it was common for them to have Ts. They answered that they just happen to have one and that they sometimes have random pets to sold (???? I was very surprised by that answer).

What came next when I inspected the enclosure closely was terrifying for me. So this T they have is a Phormictopus Auratus (Not common in the pet trade in my country AFAIK) and the enclosure was really inappropriate.

First: No water dish. They instead use a weird water-gel and I think that Ts cannot properly drink from that? (correct me if I'm wrong) + it's a nasty bacteria friendly nest.

Second: The enclosure is WAAAY too damp (might be why she didn't die from dehydration yet she probably drink from the substrate). I checked and since they come from cuba they like a decent level of humidity but this was too much you could see the condensation on the glass and droplet of water on the plants (when I came back today it was in the same state: They purposefully keep it that damp). Honestly it looks so humid you could have fricking dendrobates in there... The poor thing is always hanging on the top of the wall despite being a terrestrial... :(

Third: The enclosure is too big. I don't have the exact measurements because I wasn't bold enough to come with a measuring tape (I tried to stay very polite to have a maximum of information) but its enormous in comparison to her size. Maybe they make sure she eats every time but I doubt it since they told me they feed her by just tossing a cricket in...

Fourth: They heat the enclosure. That's not an issue in itself because it's not too hot they keep it at 26°C (which is fine for a cuban spider would guess) but I don't know how they heat it and I heard terrifing story of people frying their T by mistake...

--

I am very worried about that poor spider and I'm in kind of a moral dilemma here.

Should I buy her? (So I can give her proper care)

I normally wouldn't buy any pet from a pet store because if you do that you create a demand and then become part of the problem...

But I can't stand watching that happening... What should I do? Should I just let it happen? The people in the store are not in charge it's a big pet chain informing them might not be enough...

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I would not buy it (as it would only encourage them to get more T´s). Treat your spiders better and leave it that would be my advice.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I would buy it but that's mostly because I really like the auratus looks. You could try to offer them some suggestions to correct the care but it's unlikely that will happen.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
I would buy it and tell them not to get anymore, similar to what I told a small pet store here, and after awhile they don't care them anymore. They would always order a. Avic juveniles and put them in terrestrial setups, to many crickets, no water dish, no high anchor points, a half log on the ground, and every time I would go there for dog food I would have them change it. If you don't buy it, let them know they are more likely going to kill it before they make a profit off it.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
and after awhile they don't care them anymore
There's a small shop close to me that used to carry Ts and centipedes, and I would wait until they got tired of carrying them and discounted them, then I'd point out husbandry mistakes and say I wasn't sure about its health so I got it discounted more. Eventually they stopped carrying them because I was the only one buying them.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Is it reasonably priced? Always be careful buying from pet shops, often times the specimen is already too far gone.

Teik1066

Arachnopeon
It is reasonably priced considering it's uncommon and already mature... But think I might need to let it happen I really don't want to encourage them... The guys in charge are only looking at a spreadsheet afterall if I buy it even If tell them to stop they still sold one.

I will try to speak to the staff about the humidity and switching the aquagel for a water dish at least...

FangGang33

Arachnopeon
I would buy it, I recently bought a golden blue legged baboon from a pet store because it was about an inch sling in a big fish tank, no water about 6 crickets that were way too big, and in bright light with sand in the tank... the wanted $50 bucks, I bought the T cause I knew it would be better cared for with me

FangGang33

Arachnopeon
50 bucks for an H. pulchripes is a good deal, especially since you didn't have to pay shipping. Lucky find that was.
I KNOW!!!! I totally agree... they didn’t even know the proper name they just had it labeled with the common name. But I didn’t even think twice about it

GhostHost

Arachnopeon
If u buy it, they will continue to carry them because it sold. If it doesn't sell, they won't get more...I used to work in a pet store and that's how they did things. I think you should go and kindly talk to the owner. Just politely tell them you are concerned for the tarantula because tarantulas are not capable of drinking gel, they really need a water dish..etc. They are more likely to take your advice if you go to them as a concerned person rather than fussing at them for not doing things right. Good luck, I know it's hard to leave it there, but maybe by talking to them they will change the way they take care of them and any future spiders that show up there won't have to needlessly suffer.

GhostHost

Arachnopeon
As I stated earlier I won't buy it and I will try to talk to the person in charge of their vivariums setup politely.
That's good. Good luck to you in your endeavors. I'm glad you care enough to be so concerned. So many people see things like that and do nothing because it's just a bug. Eight legs or two legs, it's life and deserves to live comfortably.