Tarantula keeper - FIVE years of age!

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all! Just thought I’d post this up for discussion. I’m extremely proud of my five year old daughter. She’s taken to the hobby like a boss and is extremely enthusiastic about it! She’s always asking to check on her collection.

She’s always asking me all kinds of questions about their demeanor, how they feed etc. Today we were removing a molt so we had a discussion on the molting process. It’s really a joy to educate and pass on knowledge when it comes to a hobby that hinges on science!

She’s also learning the scientific names of each tarantula as we go along. I must say, it’s pretty darn cute hearing her say things like “Brachypelma” and “Grammostola”. She starts school in Sept. Boy are those other kids in for it!! Ha!

Who else has had the enjoyment of teaching those much younger than you about these beautiful, and often times misunderstood, animals?

Pic of her holding one of our Grammostola Pulchra slings:

0642DF50-8AF5-4828-A6ED-0E627F5F23B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
Kids are fascinated by everything. On the other hand, I don't think she will understand why she shouldn't handle when you let her do it. Better use molts.

I hope you keep your T room or all your cages locked so she doesn't just walk in and take out a tarantula with her bare hands.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kids are fascinated by everything. On the other hand, I don't think she will understand why she shouldn't handle when you let her do it. Better use molts.

I hope you keep your T room or all your cages locked so she doesn't just walk in and take out a tarantula with her bare hands.
No, she doesn’t look after the Ts unsupervised. She loves building enclosures, feeding them etc. She’s really into it and understands more about tarantulas than most adults! Ha!!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I think it's awesome! My avatar is my youngest Son holding a sling that just left the incubator.. Both of my Sons have been enjoying the reptile and arachnid hobby since birth..

cold blood

Staff member
I love the fact that she's into it and so interested...I don't like the handling:(...its teaching her the wrong things about tarantulas.

Most handlers learned this poor action just like this and grow up thinking its the proper thing to do with ts.:banghead:

I had interest like this from my 6 year old neighbor....so cool hearing him learn the scientific names....but that boy texts me when he sees someone handling them and always remarks on that mistake....that makes me just as proud as him knowing what Augecaphelous ezendami is.

JMO anyway

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It’s a real joy to teach kids about tarantulas. My mum teaches grade 4 and I’ve had the privilege of teaching them all about tarantulas each year for the past three years (different class each time). They always have a class tarantula, they had G porteri, B smithi and now this year C versicolor.

Each week a new student has a turn to feed the T a cricket and they just love it, by the end of the year there are no more arachnophobes left in the classroom :)

My daughter is only 1 but she already points to the tarantula room when I ask her where the tarantulas are :D

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it's awesome! My avatar is my youngest Son holding a sling that just left the incubator.. Both of my Sons have been enjoying the reptile and arachnid hobby since birth..
That’s great!!
It’s a real joy to teach kids about tarantulas. My mum teaches grade 4 and I’ve had the privilege of teaching them all about tarantulas each year for the past three years (different class each time). They always have a class tarantula, they had G porteri, B smithi and now this year C versicolor.

Each week a new student has a turn to feed the T a cricket and they just love it, by the end of the year there are no more arachnophobes left in the classroom :)

My daughter is only 1 but she already points to the tarantula room when I ask her where the tarantulas are :D
Wow this is great! It excellent that you teach a whole classroom!

Jessehbear

Arachnopeon
I can really relate to this post. My son has been spider obsessed since he was two. When he first got his ipad the first thing he wanted to look at was spiders! Fast forward 3 years later and he is still so obsessed. He picks them up outside and let them crawl on him and wants to bring them inside and finally we said okay! Lets get a tarantula after some intense research... and then I started obsessing about it. We got our first 3 slings today and I am really excited to have him by our side to watch and feed and water as well. Its so nice that you can bond and teach at the same time. She sounds like a total sweetheart. Good job Dad!

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can really relate to this post. My son has been spider obsessed since he was two. When he first got his ipad the first thing he wanted to look at was spiders! Fast forward 3 years later and he is still so obsessed. He picks them up outside and let them crawl on him and wants to bring them inside and finally we said okay! Lets get a tarantula after some intense research... and then I started obsessing about it. We got our first 3 slings today and I am really excited to have him by our side to watch and feed and water as well. Its so nice that you can bond and teach at the same time. She sounds like a total sweetheart. Good job Dad!
Thank you, and great job to you too with your son and congratulations on your first slings! What did you get?

Edit: Just saw your other thread with your slings that arrived! Congratulations! You both will have a blast with them!!

Last edited:

Jessehbear

Arachnopeon
Thank you, and great job to you too with your son and congratulations on your first slings! What did you get?
I forgot to post that my son is 5 as well haha! My son picked a 1/2” B. Auratum, I picked a 1” GBB and we got a 1/4” Curly Hair for free! Do you know if its so common for them to sit in one place forever? My GBB seems quite content yesterday and started webbing, however I checked on it this morning and it really hasnt moved off of its cork bark. That substrate is lightly damp... i know it likes it dry but I sprayed water onto a moss clump instead of using a dish and I dont know if that was the wrong thing to do? Also how soon is too soon to feed? I read to give them a couple of days but I was taking photos of the flame knee and it got into an attack pose, I wasnt using a flash or anything

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I forgot to post that my son is 5 as well haha! My son picked a 1/2” B. Auratum, I picked a 1” GBB and we got a 1/4” Curly Hair for free! Do you know if its so common for them to sit in one place forever? My GBB seems quite content yesterday and started webbing, however I checked on it this morning and it really hasnt moved off of its cork bark. That substrate is lightly damp... i know it likes it dry but I sprayed water onto a moss clump instead of using a dish and I dont know if that was the wrong thing to do? Also how soon is too soon to feed? I read to give them a couple of days but I was taking photos of the flame knee and it got into an attack pose, I wasnt using a flash or anything
You’re doing fine. At that size, slings don’t need a water dish. They get their water nourishment from the food they eat (crickets etc) and will also drink from water droplets inside the enclosure after you mist it. When the slings get a bit larger 2-3” then you can provide a small water dish like a soda bottle cap. And yeah, totally common for them to just sit in one spot. Lol!
Also be prepared for your Bracypelma Albopilosum (Curly Hair) to be a little pet hole. Ha! I currently have seven B. Albopilosum slings and they’re little burrowing beasts! Ha! Enjoy them!

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Oh man i cant wait to try this with my kids. My oldest is 8 and loves all animals. Of course it would be supervised only.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Not gonna lie I thought that was you in the avatar

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey all! Just thought I’d post this up for discussion. I’m extremely proud of my five year old daughter. She’s taken to the hobby like a boss and is extremely enthusiastic about it! She’s always asking to check on her collection.

She’s always asking me all kinds of questions about their demeanor, how they feed etc. Today we were removing a molt so we had a discussion on the molting process. It’s really a joy to educate and pass on knowledge when it comes to a hobby that hinges on science!

She’s also learning the scientific names of each tarantula as we go along. I must say, it’s pretty darn cute hearing her say things like “Brachypelma” and “Grammostola”. She starts school in Sept. Boy are those other kids in for it!! Ha!

Who else has had the enjoyment of teaching those much younger than you about these beautiful, and often times misunderstood, animals?

Pic of her holding one of our Grammostola Pulchra slings:

View attachment 314172
Great, now teach her that handling is bad for Ts.