Tarantula incomplete molt

Idyllhands

Arachnopeon
My C. Versicolor sling molted last week, and it was rough. The molt came apart in a ton of different flakey pieces, she dropped a leg, and as far as I can tell part of the molt is still attached to her front right leg. The leg doesn’t move right, it kind of flops around from the first joint. I’ve attached a photo.

I’m worried about her ability to survive if she loses two front legs next to eachother. I’m also wanting to get some ideas to help improve her next molt, so this doesn’t happen again if she survives.

I’m a pretty new keeper, only had tarantulas for about four months. Be gentle, but I really want your advice.

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
First of all, all things considered, a tarantula can be absolutely fine with a couple of legs and a pedipalp missing. There was just a thread on here a couple of days ago where it was shown how spiders can actually survive (through immense help of an owner) with 0 legs until their next moult. So no worries there.
My question is how are you giving her water? Water dish? Misting the web once every week to two weeks?
Also I don't see many ventilation holes in that picture. How's the airflow in there?
This species thrives on a full water dish, a spritzing every so often on the web itself for drinking opportunities and lots of cross ventilation. Other than that it's just up to the spider. Sometimes there are just weak ones.

Idyllhands

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your insight! I occasionally mist her substrate and have a small water dish in the bottom corner of her enclosure. It’s about 1x1 and rarely dries out. I bought an acrylic enclosure from the shop I got her from that’s supposed to be for arboreal Ts. I’ve attached a photo! Do I need to add more ventilation?

Huge relief to know she can survive without those legs, thanks for that.

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I'd add another row along each side near the top. This helps promote a beneficial cross breeze. Just be careful not to crack it when you drill holes in. Just use a lot less pressure at first than you think is necessary and it'll eventually bite and make the hole. I cracked one doing this and now make my father do all the handiwork for me.