Tarantula in premolt?

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
So I got my first 2 tarantula slings (about 2 cm) yesterday, Im so excited that i tried to feed it this day and the sling ran away and I can see some dark spots in it's abdomen. I dont know what to do. p.s. the slings I bought are L.parahybana and B.smithi

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Just wait a few days and try again. Small meal worms w crushed heads work best at this size imo.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
They may be in premolt or they may be adjusting. Most people wait at least 5 days before feeding to allow this to happen. I'll second the mealworm with crushed heads. They tend to wiggle around for a few hours. I didnt like giving my slings dead motionless crickets. Dont know why, they probably didnt care. Just something saying "If it moves now, they wont be surprised when it moves when they get bigger" in the back of my head. But. Like i said. They probably didnt care.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
They're still adjusting, I'm sure. Just give them a bit more time to settle in.

A dark spot on the dorsal side of the abdomen is just pigmentation. With slings, premolt is usually pretty obvious. They look like they're about to explode before a molt:)

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I would wait about a week and then offer prekilled prey. This always works for me unless the sling is in premolt.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
A picture of the spider and the enclosure would be most helpful, the dark spot your describing sounds like your seeing the spiders heart on the dorsal side of the abdomen. This is why pictures are the best way to get the relevant information needed. My P. sazimai sling has a dark spot on its abdomen but it's its heart.

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
update: I checked them to today and their abdomen became darker. And I also added a little bit of subtrate so it wont get muddy.

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
The man I bought from said that they will be molting soon. Any tips for caring premolt slings?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If that white in picture is bottom of enclosure: ADD more substrate -- slings like to burrow. Could also solve the too-damp substrate if you just added some dry to it. Just my experience. Might wanna remove sling, so you can tamp down substrate -- also -- you should add a silk/plastic leaf and water dish.
I usually start a burrow hole for slings also.

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
If that white in picture is bottom of enclosure: ADD more substrate -- slings like to burrow. Could also solve the too-damp substrate if you just added some dry to it. Just my experience. Might wanna remove sling, so you can tamp down substrate -- also -- you should add a silk/plastic leaf and water dish.
I usually start a burrow hole for slings also.
Thank you, I now added some dry substrate and dropped water on it so it will be moist and my ts are super active they always walk around when I check them

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I keep only 1/4 of the substrate moist for those little ones. For a hide just break off a plastic leaf from a fake plant.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Can real leaves work?
No because they will fall apart. Just put one plastic leaf on the ground and poke a hole under it. Your little ones should use that as a burrow. You need one plastic plant for a bunch of spiderling hides.

David Osorio

Arachnopeon
No because they will fall apart. Just put one plastic leaf on the ground and poke a hole under it. Your little ones should use that as a burrow. You need one plastic plant for a bunch of spiderling hides.
Thanks for the info bro, Gotta find some plastic leaves somewhere.