Tarantula Identification Needed

Klobejaan

Arachnopeon
Can someone please help me to identify the tarantula in the attached images. It is from central South Africa.

Any other basic information on the it's care would be appreciated. I assume the humidity does not need to be kept to high as it's natural habitat is not. Will a heating mat be required in the summer, as it will be kept in mostly the same climate as it's natural habitat? I believe heating will be required in the winter?

And the most important question, do I need to be really careful not to get bitten by it?

20180114_195136.jpg 20180114_195251.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You might have better luck with answers in the tarantulas discussion section. That said, it's too wet in there right now. Some humidity is good, but don't keep the substrate soaking wet. Give it plenty of drying time and it'll be fine. Room temp is good, you shouldn't have to worry about any extra heating. While it wouldn't be life-threatening, I still wouldn't recommend getting bitten and showing caution when doing maintenance.

I don't know my OW tarantula taxonomy very well, so I can't give you a confident ID.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Posting this in the tarantula thread would be better suited. My understanding is tarantulas do not need heating. You should aim not to be bitten of course, however if you are bitten it won’t be life threatening.

Klobejaan

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the reply. I am not sure if I can move this post to the tarantula section or if I have to repost. Can someone please advise. I am new to the site.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Harpactira sp.

Most likely H gigas, possibly H. hamiltoni.

Heat mats wont be required. I suggest you release it as it is illegal to capture and keep animals native to SA as pets.

boina

Lady of the mites
It is seriously too wet in there - Harpactirinae need dry substrate and don't do well when things get too wet. Further, you shouldn't need a heat mat. Room temps are fine and South Africa isn't exactly a cold country anyway. Heat mats can do a lot of damage if applied incorrectly.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I suggest you release it as it is illegal to capture and keep animals native to SA as pets.
Ah, no one see, no one see my man and if 'eyes don't see, heart don't bleed' aka 'it's illegal only if they catch you' <-- pure Chris LXXIX attitude :bored:

:kiss:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah, no one see, no one see my man and if 'eyes don't see, heart don't bleed' aka 'it's illegal only if they catch you' <-- pure Chris LXXIX attitude :bored:

:kiss:

SO, if someone comes to your house and steals all your stuff, but no one sees, you won't report? Let me know, I need some new Ts.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
SO, if someone comes to your house and steals all your stuff, but no one sees, you won't report? Let me know, I need some new Ts.
Personally I think that if someone comes to my house for steal (while I'm present) the situation can turn very very bad. For me as well of course, that's a chance to consider, no matter.

No, I was saying... 'I'm' a South African man, and I WC a local Theraphosidae during a camping trip or what else. I decide to keep the bugger. Sure, it's illegal according to S. A laws about, but who cares, since no one knows about that?

Btw no one would report something stolen that was/is, in the first place, banned to have/keep (aside a fool) :)

Not saying what OP should do, I'm saying what me, being him, would do :angelic:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Wrong philosophy, case closed :watchingyou:
"... was for the sake of science, wise Judge. For the sake of science and nothing else, for improve the worldwide arachnid community with valuable, reliable first hand facts about the proper care etc. Two eyes 24/7 and a perfect set up works better on that sense for this important task than leaving the specimen alone on his/her beautyness yet cruel and hard wild environment. I'm guilty, your honour, yes I am: guilty to love arachnids so much :pompous:"

This would be my defense, if spotted as a S. A man that broken the 'baboon' law :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For the sake of science and nothing else, for improve the worldwide arachnid community with valuable, reliable first hand facts about the proper care etc
Maybe maybe not. I really don't think captivity tells us too much actually for many animals compared to their wild living sacmates ;) The proper care is out in the wild, no? Our Ts in captivity are spoiled, get a regular supply of food, constants temps, no harsh weather etc etc..

GUILTY you are :pompous:

cold blood

Staff member
To me it looks like H. marksi.

Important, as your sub looks damp...perfect if it was H. gigas, but it doesn't look like that to me...there's too much yellow tint. Harpactira should be kept dry.

@KezyGLA , what do you think, I am sure you have more experience with Harpactira.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It's definitely H. hamiltoni or H. gigas. Both have bright golden coloring lile that even when mature.

Hamiltoni is found more central SA.

Depends where the OP found it tbh.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Harpactira hamiltoni - adult female

Harpactira gigas - juv female

Klobejaan

Arachnopeon
The tarantula was found; and saved from bug spray; near Parys in South Africa. Since I got it a week ago, it hasn't eaten. I suspected that it was not happy or that it was probably in premolt, it molted yesterday. The missing leg is back :). I will try feeding it again in a week. hopefully, it eats. I sexed the molt, it is definitely a female.

As you can see from the photo, most of the golden colour is gone, not sure if it will come back. I will post a photo again within a week once it has dried out.

I replaced the substrate with newly bought coco peat. It had a bit of moisture in it when I bought it but I did not add any more water when I changed the substrate. I also believe that the substrate should be dry most of the time. I think I should wet the substrate now and again, as in the wild the soil will get wet when it rains and then naturally dry out in time. Not sure if cocopeat is the right medium to use or if I should rather use soil from the area? I am a bit hesitant about doing that as you never know what harmful insects or parasites might come with the soil.

20180117_184643.jpg