Tarantula Hut Petco

bonsaimaster1

Arachnopeon
Anyone ever seen these tarantula huts for sale? Supposedly, for $20 you get a spiderling ranging from about 10-12 different species to pick and choose from if available. Pretty cool, I bought one which was labelled as the Brazillian white banded tarantula. Can't wait to see what it is going to look like! Keep y'all posted!

IMG_0282.JPG

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
@Haksilence had posted a pic of those, I wouldn't use it for terrestrial spiderlings. I hope they at least put a water-dish in them.

Last edited:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Prob shoulnt tell anyone here u bought a T from petco haha.

I fear shots will be fired soon ;)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Seen them in my Petco as well. Love the variety offered but hate the packaging.

What's the scientific name on the one you brought home? How big is the spider?
It's Nhandu something, it says right on the weird "tank" thing.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon

"Brazilian white banded" is the common name asscociated with Acanthoscurria, Nhandu etc. Generally common names are hated when used as they can pertain to many different sp. of T, Ex. As your right now asking for which specific sp. lol he bought.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
"Brazilian white banded" is the common name asscociated Acanthoscurria geniculata. Generally common names are hated when used as they can pertain to many different sp. of T, Ex. As your right now asking for which specific sp.
It's actually Nhandu colloratovillosus, just shows how garbage common names are.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Hmmm looks like those are just set on a shelf and not locked in a cage.

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's very concerning. OP, were they locked behind glass originally and you just put them on a shelf for a picture or were they out there on a shelf to begin with?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I dont understand the relevance of weather they are behind glass or not?
Fear of someone shaking them up maybe?
Bigger issue to me is the housing conditions rather then weather they are potentially being shaken.
Thise housing confitions look to be a guaranteed death sentence where as a "shake-up" is only a possibility.

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Bigger issue to me is the housing conditions rather then weather they are potentially being shaken.
Thise housing confitions look to be a guaranteed death sentence where as a "shake-up" is only a possibility.
It's the shaking and that they're more likely to be bought for me personally. More likely to be taken right to the counter and purchased rather than talking to an employee and hopefully being at least a bit educated, on the general responsibility of owning a pet minimum.

cold blood

Staff member
Your right but ''Brazilian white banded" could describe plenty of sp., Thats why I frown upon CN.
They also sell A. geniculata and brockelhursti. Most definitely the op should look closer at the indicated scientific name...we've seen pics of the enclosures, scientific names are indeed listed.

I noticed that as well.:banghead:

Exactly, any kid or even adult can pick them up, unsupervised, and shake/lean/flip/drop as many as they can. I just picture some kid wandering away from mom for a minute and grabbing and shaking the spider in every one just to see them. Or an adult looking and finally seeing the t, only to panic and drop the enclosure to the ground. They should most certainly be locked away, do not do so IMO is quite irresponsible of the store....these aren't crickets or mealworms, they shouldn't be treated like them!

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I dont disagree with the potential shaking at all. Its terrible to think about.
I just think thats minimal compared to other concerns about it in general (just my opinion)
As for being educated, im pretty sure a 5 year old can wing it better without the misinformation a salesmen is gonna give them. If their uneducated (im NOT sayin thats a good thing) they have a 50/50 shot at getting it rite. If a petco salesmen "educates" them then they will 99/100 get wrong lol

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter

scientific name for that common name is acothoscuria geniculata most likely.

edit saw that other people posted, disregard

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Anyone ever seen these tarantula huts for sale? Supposedly, for $20 you get a spiderling ranging from about 10-12 different species to pick and choose from if available. Pretty cool, I bought one which was labelled as the Brazillian white banded tarantula. Can't wait to see what it is going to look like! Keep y'all posted!

View attachment 210160
I'm glad you're excited and definitely can appreciate your enthusiasm! Is this your first T? If not, ignore the rest of this :p If so, I'm guessing it is since you said you can't wait to see what it looks like (not a slight against you, just an observation :) ) what do you know about them and setting them up properly? I have a sling of this species myself, maybe 3/4" if I round up haha, and can't wait until it gets its adult colors. Lots of info on the forums about them. Many find it easier to search the forums by doing a site specific search using Google or whatever search engine they prefer (Duckduckgo myself) rather than the forum's search. I've had luck both ways. If you can't find an answer to your Q's ask away. Welcome to AB!