Tarantula Hibernation

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
Oh, guess who? Its ya BOI shrubs here.

Recently, my Brachypelma emilia T has gone stiff and was turned on her side, I assumed it was moulting last night and I left her to it. She has still not moved, however upon lightly touching her legs they will twitch or move on her own. I assume she is beginning to moult, hibernating because it is cold in the UK or she is dying?

It is quite cold where I live, and I fear I may have been following these "American" tarantula husbandry tutorials too closely as it is much warmer in the USA than it is in the UK. Room temperature in the gosh darn'it cletus United staets ovv amurica is much different than the room temperature found in the Queens Royal kingdom (UK).

Can tarantula's hibernate?
Is this a deathcurl?

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pictures would be helpful
and what are we talking temp wise?
I know plenty of people in colder states that keep their house a 65 (18c) and do just fine

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Pics would help.

How low are we talking? My T room doesn't drop below 18°C with the heating off (even in winter, I'm down south though) but I like to keep it around 25°C, while desert species can tolerate drops in temperature (overnight lows of around 15°C), extended periods of low temperatures will eventually kill them.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Can tarantula's hibernate?
Not like a grizzly bear or a hedgehog. They are not the most active creatures anyway, but they are even less active if it is cold. Some of my tarantulas are not really interested in food when the temperature drops to about 17 degrees in my apartment for a longer period of time.

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
Quick update as well as pics:

I have been spraying some water to help IF IT IS a molt, she/he has eaten very well for her size when she last ate. Spraying water =/= light misting.
I have also touched her legs to get a reaction, and since putting her on the heat mat I am getting more of a reaction.
When I made this post it was very slow movement in one leg, now it is 3 at a much quicker pace but still slow as a response to stimulation.
The pics are taken up close via my phone. Let me know if you want any others.

I feel like such an idiot.

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

I have been spraying some water to help IF IT IS a molt, she/he has eaten very well for her size when she last ate. Spraying water =/= light misting.
I have also touched her legs to get a reaction, and since putting her on the heat mat I am getting more of a reaction.
When I made this post it was very slow movement in one leg, now it is 3 at a much quicker pace but still slow as a response to stimulation.

Not sure now if are my eyes (could be, uh) or else, but from those pics the substrate seems a bit wet. Btw which temperatures you have, more or less, in the room where you keep the spider?

Because too much moisture and 'cold' are not a good mix.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

You need to stop aimlessly messing around with your spider. What do you expect to accomplish? Don't mist or prod it if you think it's molting, it needs to be left alone.

Your temps should be 70 plus. The enclosure already looks too moist for an arid species, even for slings. Let the sub dry out and keep her water bowl full. Brachys are super simple to keep.

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
Ya, the substrate I kept her on was wet at first but I have somewhat dried it out.

As I explained in the post you just quoted, I literally just sprayed some more water to help with the molt if it is one.

@Chris LXXIX

Also we don't use Farhenheit we use Celsius so please specify your temps if you can.

I usually keep my T's at a nice room temperature of 23 Celsius, it can drop to 19/18 though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ya, the substrate I kept her on was wet at first but I have somewhat dried it out.

As I explained in the post you just quoted, I literally just sprayed some more water to help with the molt if it is one.

@Chris LXXIX
Yeah, I have read that, man. Just that you sprayed too much water, IMO. Let that dry a bit, and rely on the water dish for the 'humidity' part.

It's pretty debatable btw the fact that 'moist substrate' can help the molting process. That (normal, natural) event success is a mix of things, including luck.

Also we don't use Farhenheit we use Celsius so please specify your temps if you can.

I usually keep my T's at a nice room temperature of 23 Celsius, it can drop to 19/18 though.
Those temperatures are ok. I keep mines at 24° C in Winter with a (night only) drop on 19/20° C. Including 'tropical' inverts.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
My other T who is also a sling, but much older and much smaller has always molted and no problems.

I guess it must be luck sometimes, I will keep the heatmat on because it's cold rn and I will keep drying off the lid where moisture builds up.
I am very concerned not just because it's a pet but because I will be responsible for the death of another lifeform.