Tarantula growth rates

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I am trying to assemble in my head a rule of thumb for T growth rates. I am trying to find which species, or genus' if thats the case, grow the fastest, slowest, and which are 'in between'. At the moment, I know the following:

Fast:
...?

Medium:
B. albopilosum
...lots of other stuff..

Slow:
most Brachypelma
most Grammostola

As is obvious, I dont really know that much besides a few individuals. Can anyone add to this list? In particular, what are the growth rates for L. parahybana, B. boehmi, C. cyaneopubescens, and most Avics and Pokies?

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pokies (poecilotheria) are generally all fast growers, along with psalmopoeus irminia, possibly this whole genus too

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Cool thanks. What are some others? How about GBBs?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A. genics are thought to be fast too. I'd say P. murinus is pretty fast as well.

macjizzle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what exactly constitutes fast growth? does it mean that the T's grow to adulthood within a year or less?

fastgixxerlv

Arachnopeon
P. Murinus are definately fast growers I've had mine for a year and she's a little over 4". She's a freakin' warrior.

fastgixxerlv

Arachnopeon
How fast do T. blondis grow? I picked up a W/C 1 a week ago. It's just shy of 7". I'm not sure if the pic is gonna go through. How do I do it?

omni

Arachnobaron
Aphanopelma: very slow. My A. seemanni slings grew from 1/4" 2nd instars to a whopping 1/2" - 9/16" in 8 mos.
Eupalaestrus: real slow... my PZB was 3-3.5" in '01. 6yrs later, it's bulky but only 5.75" now, just about max size.
Phormictopus: pretty fast and always hungry. I had one at 1.5" in May and sold it, now a friend tells me it's 3"

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would have to say that nothing beats L parahybana in growth rate! T blondi is also pretty fast, Aphonopelma bicoloratum is dead slow, as is C crawshayi.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, I think it would be useful if you edited your OP with all the feedback and have mods make this a sticky. It would make a great reference. :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
out of the hundreds of spiders ive had over here the fastest growers ive seen would be be p.murinas and p.cambridgei.slowest i have are probaly g.pulchra and g.rosea.also i dont powerfeed at all

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My P. cambridgei took about 11 months to grow. No she's going to be in a breeding loan.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is fast growth based on frequency of molts or the size increase per molt...or both? Is G. Rosea's slow rate of growth due to one or both of these factors?