Tarantula found eating snake in the wild.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Nit sure if this has been posted, but thought I'd drag it in in case it hsan't been. wasn;t able to see a date on the article, so it may be old news...and not really that big of a deal, I think. Just kind of interesting. It's something like this that earned a few species the "Bird-eating spider" miniker. Had this been witnessed first, they'd be "Snake-eating spiders" instead, I imagine.

Never heard of this Grammostola before, but there are a lot of tarantulas I've never heard of, I'm sure. The article notes that it was probably a meal of circumstance, which is what I would suspect such an occurrence to be. A case of a snake poking its head in the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...antulasnake&utm_campaign=Content&sf50288275=1

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah? Well, I'm not too shocked. i didn't see it here in chat and I didn't think to check in the other subforum as I was in a hurry to get myself fed. Unlike some spiders, MY food doesn't just wander into my den ready-to-eat.
This can be locked or simply left to sink into The Void.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well...I'd be inclined to believe that it was staged. I mean, what are the odds of running onto such a thing without setting it up? But I don't know that for a fact, of course.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I always have been under the impression that Ts will eat anything they can kill so I am not too shocked. If you can eat small lizards and rodents you sure can snack on a snake.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Well...I'd be inclined to believe that it was staged. I mean, what are the odds of running onto such a thing without setting it up? But I don't know that for a fact, of course.
I figured that a lot of things on NatGeo have to be rigged somehow. Sometimes they'll have the camera IN the tarantula's burrow, while the P. muticus webs up the entrance. Maybe they shoot a tarantula in its burrow in captivity, then cut to outside the burrow in the wild with a wild tarantula, and they make the audience think it's the same one.