tarantula escape aftermath

Marcel Tanriverdi

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

My small small Hapalopus sp Columbia Large sling escaped through a ventilation hole. After 2 days searching everywhere with flashlight still no sign of it. As small it is, it can be anywhere right now. Should I be worried for my dogs? What would you guys suggest

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I would search all the corners of the room and corners of the dressers or such. Good luck and maybe it will show up. I wouldn't worry about the dogs.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Your dogs will be fine. Honestly the only thing at risk is your sling. Don't lose hope yet - you never know where the little thing might show up. The odds sound grim, but that doesn't mean a happy ending isn't possible.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know which exactly kind of luck you will need to have for find again, and full healthy, this sling, man.

As said above, however, the dogs risk nothing... bit of solace, at least :writer:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Your dogs will be fine. Honestly the only thing at risk is your sling. Don't lose hope yet - you never know where the little thing might show up. The odds sound grim, but that doesn't mean a happy ending isn't possible.
The biggest risk is that it will become a snack for the dogs...

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I have an escaped sling right now, too. My advice is to keep looking. Also, since slings get dehydrated more easily, maybe put out water in caps near where the most likely area is. It was recommended to me to use a red light to search as they can be photophobic sometimes, but can't see red light.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
While the Hapalopus species is quick to bolt and run everywhere. They settle quite quickly, meaning that once they can locate themselves somewhere comfortable. They will be webbing quite a bit. Which can help in sighting it. Tiny guys like tight spaces, so remember crevices and cracks are good places to look at.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi there,

My small small Hapalopus sp Columbia Large sling escaped through a ventilation hole. After 2 days searching everywhere with flashlight still no sign of it. As small it is, it can be anywhere right now. Should I be worried for my dogs? What would you guys suggest
Die Huende koennen deinen Vogelspinne essen.

I would not be concerned about the health of your dogs, or anything else. If it is not found, it will likely get stepped on or eaten by some other invertebrate hunter in the house. If it manages to make its way outside, it will either be eaten by something out there, or it will die from the cold.

In the future, remember the general rule of thumb. If it can fit its carapace through a space, the whole body will fit.

Slings are best kept in deli cups.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Try leaving clothing or towels crumpled up one the floor and check them on occasion. That's the first place my LP sling went when I lost her, and I know at least a few other people on here have found escaped Ts by similar means

Marcel Tanriverdi

Arachnopeon
Guys! Happy ending! Just right now I saw the sling crawling next to the shelf its enclosure was standing. I cant explain how happy I am rn. Amazing luck! Look how small it is.

Thanks for all the tips and support. I placed it in a cup with needle holes so it shouldnt be able to escape again.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Guys! Happy ending! Just right now I saw the sling crawling next to the shelf its enclosure was standing. I cant explain how happy I am rn. Amazing luck! Look how small it is.

Thanks for all the tips and support. I placed it in a cup with needle holes so it shouldnt be able to escape again.
thats a pretty smol boi nice job finding it, I would recommend being extra cautious about ventilation hole, they must be smaller than the carapace.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel

That's AWESOME! So glad you found your little sling, a happy ending for sure and a great example of why you don't give up hope, even on the little ones! :D

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
The spider gods have smiled upon you! That's really incredible you found it. Now it can go tell all its shelf friends about its grand adventure. :)

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
As I always say, I love the stories with happy ending.