1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantula Eatting

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Lost In Space, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Lost In Space

Lost In Space Arachnopeon

Simple question, My tarantula will pounce on a cricket within 5 minutes of me putting it in there, but it takes her UP TO SEVEN HOURS to fully eat it.. I'll check back in like 3-4 hours and she'll still have rather the head or legs sticking out.. another 3-4 hours go by and it'll be just a little left.. finally she will hve eaten it. Is this normal behaviour?
  2. Hobo

Hobo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Staff Member

It takes 'em a while sometimes.
  3. HoboAustin

HoboAustin Arachnosquire

When a tarantula catches a cricket, it doesn't "eat" it in a traditional way. The T's fangs inject venom which will slowly turn the insides of a feeder into a soup like substance. They SUCK the soup up. They never eat as in taking bites. This process is slow, so yes this is normal.
  4. Lost In Space

I know that their venom dissolves the crickets organs and then they begin to suck it out, I was just asking for the actual swallowing part - does it take that long. Thank you for your answers.
  5. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

The tarantula's venom is not what dissolves the prey item.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. grayzone

grayzone Arachnoking

^+1 paassatt....... spencer, if ya think it takes a while to feed it a cricket, try feeding it a dubia :wink: just outta curiousity (and it has no significance) what kind of t and how big
  7. Lost In Space

What does dissolve the prey? And I have one Avicularia azuraklaasi, unsexed approx 2.5" :)
  8. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

Enzymes in a digestive fluid are what dissolves the prey.
  9. Lost In Space

The enzymes found in their venom, correct?
  10. SamuraiSid

SamuraiSid Arachnodemon

11. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

No, the digestive fluid and venom are different. The venom incapacitates and kills the prey and the digestive fluid is what dissolves it, allowing it to be sucked into the spider's mouth.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Lost In Space

Thank you for teaching me that. :)
  13. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

No. The venom originates in the spider's head and is released through the fangs, like a hypodermic needle. The digestive fluid comes from the stomach through the mouth. They are different processes altogether.
  14. HoboAustin

HoboAustin Arachnosquire

I learn something new everyday. Thanks.
  15. z32upgrader

z32upgrader Arachnoknight

My LP sling about 1.25' has been eating a .5" cricket for at least 6 hours now when he/she normally finishes it off in thirty minutes. This is the first meal since it molted a week ago. Red flags maybe?
  16. spiderengineer

spiderengineer Arachnoprince

yeah mine take about twice to three times as long to eat a roaches then a cricket.
  17. Spiderkid

Spiderkid Arachnopeon

I guess it's sorta like how it is with people; some of us can finish off a cheeseburger in about 2 seconds, others like to take their time :D There's probably a lot of different factors involved, like time since last meal, size of the T, size of the prey item, overall health of the spider,etc.
  18. Mine has taken like 5 minutes to eat it, one time an hour... They're weird like that.