Tarantula Dying???

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
I walked in my room and found my northern gold looking like this and I don't know if she's dying or what

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
My T's do that also when they are in the process of grooming, A death curl would involve all the legs curling under

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Looks pretty healthy and that is normal. I remember freaking out a couple of times when I found my A. versicolor contorted into weird positions with some of her legs curled under her but she was fine. Tarantulas are just weirdos that way.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Look up a few pictures of a death curl. It's definitely unmistakable. Unless you've seen it before, that certainly looks like a death curl! But luckily, as others have said, just some harmless grooming. My favorite is when they decide that they're done, but never even themselves out and stay in that position for hours :D

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
My favorite is when they decide that they're done, but never even themselves out and stay in that position for hours :D
Lol, I remember in the beginning I would have to look twice in panic and take a breathe in relief :eek::anxious::D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Your Theraphosidae is fine. Normal grooming behavior. Watch her do it if you can it's pretty cool.

Is that a plastic cup for a hide?

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone I was worried for a moment , tarantulas are goofy sometimes

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I was worried for a moment , tarantulas are goofy sometimes

There's nothing goofy about it. It's all about survival. They have to keep their scopulae, claws, spinnerets, lung slits, and chelicerae clean so they function properly. They clean themselves like cats: cleaning their front feet and then rubbing them over their body.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've currently got one that lives in a butter tub buried under substrate. He seems perfectly content.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It works, but have you ever given thought to using a half log or something a bit more natural?
I use a lot of corkbark hides but everything I had was way to big and I didn't want to cut one up. So for now he likes the solo shot glass hide and once he get rehoused I'll hook him up with a cooler home.