1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantula drumming patterns

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by octaJon, Feb 12, 2018.

1. octaJon

octaJon Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Greetings, just curious if anyone knows of any studies or info pertaining to the pre-mating drumming of tarantulas, particularly if there are certain rhythms or patterns that could be deciphered using our musical notation system. Or if anyone has heard anything recognizable in their own experiences. Also wondering if there is a variation of patterns between different species, especially those living in close proximity. I found an old thread that @Zombie mentioned hearing patterns in their tarantulas' drumming and was very interested in knowing more. As a musician, mainly drums/percussion, I am intrigued by the rhythm of life.

*In the meantime, here is a link to an album by the group 'Tribes of Neurot' called "Adaptation and survival." The group recorded insect noises/sounds, then manipulated it to compose this album. Very unique idea, though more ambient in nature (pun intended):

2. Ant

Ant Arachnopeon Active Member

Apparently there is one species of pokie that drums "Enter Sandman" in its entirety, I forget which species though . . . :troll:

Ha, in all seriousness though, it'd be quite interesting to see if there is patterns/rhythms within different genera and species.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    I don't know about a study or anything but I can tell you what I witnessed when I bred my H. dictator last week. They rapidly tapped in threes, not sure if the way they tapped means anything, but that is what my pair did.

• Like Like x 1
  4. octaJon

octaJon Arachnopeon

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. octaJon

octaJon Arachnopeon

It would be interesting if other H. dictators did the same type of triplet pattern. Tyfs!

6. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoblank Staff Member

I heard about this on NPR a few months ago. This deals with peacock spiders, but I doubt you'll find a similar study for tarantulas. I'm not a fan of the cutesy style of the video, but the message is there. You may be able to find this grad student's work (behind a paywall, I'm sure). Skip to 0:40 to hear the actual drumming. Skip to 2:50 to compare several different species that all live in close proximity.

• Like Like x 1
  7. octaJon

octaJon Arachnopeon

Very cool video @EulersK Even though not tarantulas, this is exactly the kind of info I was interested in. Love that different spiders of the same species had different rhythmic patterns and dances. Thanks for sharing

8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

All species do have their own way of drumming....for instance, pokies tend to drum hard, in a da da da dot, da da da dot...manner...Psalms often just keep drumming right into contact, but not as hard as a poke....GBB's drum, but its very unconventional and you may see it and not even recognize it as drumming...sometimes its just soft and frantic and near constant...like I mira..there's certainly patterns for each.

There have been times where action had stopped or slowed...and often I will attempt to mimic their drum on the enclosure side...sometimes it appears to work...but I can't know for sure...but often it seems to provide motivation sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. octaJon

octaJon Arachnopeon

Great share @cold blood thanks! Very cool that your mimicking of their patterns sometimes seems to help them refocus on the task at hand.

10. EulersK

@octaJon
    I forgot that I actually got video of this. Some species don't even "drum" exactly. For some, it's more of a "slap" :D Jump to 1:40 to see what I'm talking about.

• Like Like x 2
    • Coffee Coffee x 1
  11. cold blood

That's very similar to what I was describing with the GBB.

12. octaJon

octaJon Arachnopeon

@EulersK I've seen most all of your vids on YouTube, somehow with the exception of this one until now. Very cool, tyfs

13. EulersK

GBB's do this? Very interesting. Same continent, I suppose. Did you notice a slight vibration from the female in response to the male's slaps?

14. cold blood

yep

15. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

I thought I was the only screwball that did this.. I sometimes follow it up by gently brushing the males front legs with a long soft bristled paint brush and then brush the females and vice verse.. The intent is scent transfer, If a male is really stubborn getting the female to flutter her legs is really helpfull..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Beer Beer x 1