Tarantula disturbed while on back

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Umm... no... I was asking more of if the stomach isn’t there at all, if it’s just too small, or just can’t function properly. And from your comment I’m going to assume their stomach is just gone...?
Does this make any sense as to what the sucking stomach does?

“In the prosoma, this tube is wider and forms the sucking stomach. When the sucking stomach's powerful muscles contract, the stomach is increased in cross-section, creating a strong sucking action that permits the tarantula to suck its liquefied prey up through the mouth and into the intestines.”

Because that was the very first thing that popped up when I googled “sucking stomach tarantula”

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Does this make any sense as to what the sucking stomach does?

“In the prosoma, this tube is wider and forms the sucking stomach. When the sucking stomach's powerful muscles contract, the stomach is increased in cross-section, creating a strong sucking action that permits the tarantula to suck its liquefied prey up through the mouth and into the intestines.”

Because that was the very first thing that popped up when I googled “sucking stomach tarantula”
Ya that helps a lot. I wonder why that didn’t come up when I searched it. Thanks

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wait seriously..!?? I took her molt in to a local exotic pet shop, where I got her, and was show how to sex them that way... and according to that it’s a female.... I’m not saying you’re wrong at all though. You know more then me. What makes you think it’s a male?
Pet stores don’t know anything, and they refuse to pay a living wage . Cut corners by not properly caring for there species. I doubt they can sex a molt just post molts on here.
Cage is way to massive, spider looks like a mature male.
Cage looks set up for a small lizard or something, Not a tarantula.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Pet stores don’t know anything, and they refuse to pay a living wage . Cut corners by not properly caring for there species. I doubt they can sex a molt just post molts on here.
Cage is way to massive, spider looks like a mature male.
Well then. Ok. Thanks. How long do males live vs females?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well then. Ok. Thanks. How long do males live vs females?
10 months to 3 years . Better off shipping it to someone to breed ; I ran out of money or I’d ship my p conceridies. Might try and find someone locally but odds are low.
Males often refuse to eat also, tho some do.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wow. I’ve had both my Ts for over 6 years....
I mean post maturity molt , I’ve seen males live 10+ years in total. As much as 13-15 for desert species.
Did you raise it as a sling? I had one of these it fell post molt and died. Despite its small enclosure and nothing hard on the floor. I suspect it had a bad molt, it didn’t look normal.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
In post #10 of this thread, there is a very clear photo of one of the T's pedipalps. It does not resemble the emboli found on mature males (at least is doesn't to me)
Maybe it’s not male, would like a clear pic of pedipalps maybe better angle. 6 years seems old for a male avic

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ok. Thanks. I’ll do that on my own time.

And I changed the terrarium up a little. I took the sponge out of her water dish and when I did the water dish had these dark mold like stains on the inside. So I just got her a new one to be safe
This looks like a much better set up first pic looks like a orb weaver or anole lizard tank.
Be careful who you trust with advice.

If you want to read more about the issues that can arise with the sucking stomach, check out this thread.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/checking-for-the-sucking-stomach-on-your-molts.306981/[/QUOTE
I’ll also look into this .
Interesting I still don’t understand how T can fail to molt the stomach but It could explain what happened to king baboon that refuse to eat . Even Pre killed

cold blood

Staff member
To clear the sucking stomach question....it cant eat because the old sucking stomach would still be there, in the way, blocking the new one from being used and preventing food passage.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
My little versicolor has moved since I left yesterday and from the pics my grandma sent she’s in a position it would take a little bit of energy and strength to hold herself up so yay.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
That's good to hear, keep us updated! I'm glad it wasn't a problem with the sucking stomach- I didn't mean to scare you or anything I just wanted to mention the possibility.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
That's good to hear, keep us updated! I'm glad it wasn't a problem with the sucking stomach- I didn't mean to scare you or anything I just wanted to mention the possibility.
Oh I was terrified before you mentioned that. Don’t worry about it. I really appreciate you bringing up the sucking stomach since I had no idea about that. It helps eliminate possible problems and get to the real one, which is what’s needed. I put 3 little bottle lids full of cricket soup, as I’m now calling it that, into there with her right before I left, 2 on the ground and 1 up on the wood. Hopefully she’ll drink from one while while I’m gone.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
To clear the sucking stomach question....it cant eat because the old sucking stomach would still be there, in the way, blocking the new one from being used and preventing food passage.
Is there a way to force a spider in this condition to drink somehow? Or molt faster so it doesn't suffer same fate as my king baboon. It either got injured from a fall or had a bad molt. I never saw it climbing but maybe possibly. It never seemed to have energy to rebuild its burrow either, so weird.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
My little versicolor has moved since I left yesterday and from the pics my grandma sent she’s in a position it would take a little bit of energy and strength to hold herself up so yay.
So glad to hear! Hopefully she’ll keep getting better :)

Is there a way to force a spider in this condition to drink somehow? Or molt faster
If they happen to fail to molt the sucking stomach properly, they are unfortunately completely incapable of eating or drink, and no amount of force would change that. It is sometimes possible to push the tarantula through to it's next molt to properly shed it though. It's one instance where an obese tarantula would really have the benefit. If it were to be extremely obese before the molt where it failed to shed it's sucking stomach, it might still be heavy enough after the molt to survive on food reserves until it can molt again to correct the issue. It may also benefit to raise the temperature that it's kept at in order to boost it's metabolism and encourage a molt sooner.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Nope they can't eat at all because the muscle they would use to bring the food or fluids into their body doesnt function. It would be like trying to swallow without a throat.
I’ve seen molts were they did not molt this ,and was shocked later on why they wouldn’t eat. MAybe I can worry less now . Just not had any issues since king baboon did this .
I had no understanding that a T could not molt sucking stomach correctly.
Never too late to learn something new and important.
Can the absorb water still by over hydration of substrate ?? Or isn’t a non super fat T Before this molt doomed to a slow death??

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Can the absorb water still by over hydration of substrate ??
Could you eat or drink if you had no stomach? Same goes for the T that doesn't molt it correctly.

Or isn’t a non super fat T Before this molt doomed to a slow death??
It's not 100% doomed, but chances of it surviving are pretty low. Couple factors play in because the quicker the molt occurs the higher the chance of survival. A young T would have a better chance over a old one.