Tarantula disturbed while on back

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
I can not tell from that picture, what you are looking for is at the base of where the fangs came out of like in this picture here. Sucking stomach is circled in red. It should be easy to see. Picture is of one of my Avicularia avicularia of similar size so should look similar on yours.
Ok. Thanks. I’m currently on the plane and I don’t know when I’ll have to go offline, but my grandma is getting more pics for me. So I’ll post them as soon as possible

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Ok here’s a good pic. It’s blurry but you can clearly see some orange in the shape of the stomach
Yep, I see it.

If I were you, I'd give your T a chance to eat something prekilled but whole before banking solely on the soup. If she's made some webbing in her new setup when you return home, try leaving it in there for her. I find that my Avic and versicolor hardly ever go to the floor of the enclosure, even to drink, so leaving prey down where she's unlikely to go reduces her chance of finding it.

She isn't in great shape right now, but she isn't thin enough that I'd panic about it just yet. Unless there are other issues we aren't aware of, your T shouldn't die of starvation before you return home.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Yep, I see it.

If I were you, I'd give your T a chance to eat something prekilled but whole before banking solely on the soup. If she's made some webbing in her new setup when you return home, try leaving it in there for her. I find that my Avic and versicolor hardly ever go to the floor of the enclosure, even to drink, so leaving prey down where she's unlikely to go reduces her chance of finding it.

She isn't in great shape right now, but she isn't thin enough that I'd panic about it just yet. Unless there are other issues we aren't aware of, your T shouldn't die of starvation before you return home.
Ok. I definitely will. And thank goodness it isn’t too late for her. Thank you all for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Saint Exuviae. Patron saint of molting.
Yes

Last edited by a moderator:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Ok here’s a good pic. It’s blurry but you can clearly see some orange in the shape of the stomach
I'm so glad to see that the sucking stomach is there. That means just follow the plan for getting her in better shape, and hopefully everything will work out. Be sure to keep us posted!

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
I'm so glad to see that the sucking stomach is there. That means just follow the plan for getting her in better shape, and hopefully everything will work out. Be sure to keep us posted!
I’m glad it’s there too. And I definitly will keep y’all updated on her

And the sucking stomach is not something I know much about, would anyone be willing to explain why they aren’t able to eat when they don’t molt the sucking stomach? Or give a reliable link to somewhere with info on it

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
And the sucking stomach is not something I know much about, would anyone be willing to explain why they aren’t able to eat when they don’t molt the sucking stomach? Or give a reliable link to somewhere with info on it
Think you could eat without a stomach?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Since don't have mouth parts to chew, they use their venom to soften up the prey. Then they use their sucking stomach to suck up all the fluids and soft material. It's basically a straw inside the spider.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
Since don't have mouth parts to chew, they use their venom to soften up the prey. Then they use their sucking stomach to suck up all the fluids and soft material. It's basically a straw inside the spider.
Ok thank you. That’s so interesting. I love these creatures

Think you could eat without a stomach?
Umm... no... I was asking more of if the stomach isn’t there at all, if it’s just too small, or just can’t function properly. And from your comment I’m going to assume their stomach is just gone...?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Umm... no... I was asking more of if the stomach isn’t there at all, if it’s just too small, or just can’t function properly. And from your comment I’m going to assume their stomach is just gone...?
If they don't molt the sucking stomach it won't function at all until it molts again. They won't be able to eat or drink until they molt again and the issue fixes itself.

AtticOctopus

Arachnosquire
If they don't molt the sucking stomach it won't function at all until it molts again. They won't be able to eat or drink until they molt again and the issue fixes itself.
Ok. If a T doesn’t molt the sucking stomach, is it possible to feed it how you would with a paralyzed T?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Ok. If a T doesn’t molt the sucking stomach, is it possible to feed it how you would with a paralyzed T?
Nope they can't eat at all because the muscle they would use to bring the food or fluids into their body doesnt function. It would be like trying to swallow without a throat.