Tarantula cabinet

Spawn60fsatan6

Arachnopeon
So my wife has requested my collection of 4 tarantulas be housed in an enclosure within an enclosure so if they somehow escape their enclosure they have to find their way out of a secondary enclosure. While looking around online I came across a glass fronted cabinet at walmart.

I was/am concerned about ventilation so I found a set of fans typically used to vent media cabinets. I figure if i place 1 fan on the bottom pulling air in and one on the top sucking air out, it should ptevent it from becoming stagnant?

Has anyone tried this? I am concerned about the static temp within the cabinet it's self and how I can go about heating if it gets cold. There is an option to add a thermostat control but it's an additional 45$. I have attached picture of the cabinet and fans any input for or against doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Screenshot_20181226-072250.png Screenshot_20181226-073417.png

Jonathan H

Arachnopeon
Well you will have to get a little space heater for the cabinet. I mean a really small one. And use the fans to circulate the air. Should be fine

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
I would only recommend a heat source if they are going to be in an unheated room in your home or one that routinely becomes uncomfortably cold like a remote basement room of some sort. I would not put a space heater in a cabinet, it's a fire hazard. My pet room is in a half basement and I keep snakes as well so I have an oil radiant heater that keeps that room a little warmer than the rest of the house and I keep the door closed. You can use heat tape/pads hooked up to a thermostat if you want heat in the enclosure. @basin79 I think is the resident authority on their safe implementation. I only use them for snakes, personally.

Regarding ventilation, though... I would worry that the shelves might keep air from ascending the cabinet, and adequate ventilation is pretty important. I think one fan per level and a vent on the opposing side would do it, and it shouldn't matter if the fans point in or out. Maybe someone with a better handle on fluid dynamics could chime in on that one.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron

This is how I heated my collection when it was smaller. It's a heat cable for reptiles. I used electrical tape to attach it, it did okay but something stronger may have been better, I think the heat softened the adhesive. The shelf had an open face, but it did a nice job at keeping the temps up when the apartment got cold, I'm sure it would work very well in a closed cabinet.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not sure if it will work for your purposes, check out UltraTherm heat mats to put on your cabinet. I've seen a guy in Britain do this, he was a breeder too.

Also, if you can larger diameter fans you will have lower RPMs, thus quieter cabinet all with greater airflow than 120s.

If none of that works, you could always explain to your significant other that you are trading her in for the newer T tolerant model. That's your best bet.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Why not go for a snake viv?
  • Better visibility
  • Better heat retention (because there isn't a massive gap all the way round the doors)
  • Better escape proofing
  • Preexisting holes for cabling
  • Just looks better
Here's part of my collection in a viv with a heat mat:

1543934734704.jpg

I don't have a fan or feel the need for one. The tubs themselves are all pretty well ventilated and pretty dry so the air quality is fine. If you need really high humidity in one enclosure, then maybe a fan, but alternatively maybe a fluorescent bulb and some plants?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why not go for a snake viv?
  • Better visibility
  • Better heat retention (because there isn't a massive gap all the way round the doors)
  • Better escape proofing
  • Preexisting holes for cabling
  • Just looks better
Here's part of my collection in a viv with a heat mat:

View attachment 296754

I don't have a fan or feel the need for one. The tubs themselves are all pretty well ventilated and pretty dry so the air quality is fine. If you need really high humidity in one enclosure, then maybe a fan, but alternatively maybe a fluorescent bulb and some plants?

What kind of ambient temps do you get w/that? I see the flexwatt or Ultratherms you have in back, jst curious.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
What kind of ambient temps do you get w/that? I see the flexwatt or Ultratherms you have in back, jst curious.
I've got it linked to a stat for 26c, and it feels hotter at the top so reckon it could do more. I'm quite surprised that heat strip is enough to to the whole enclosure. My room drops below 20 during the day but the temperature inside the viv stays at 26.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've got it linked to a stat for 26c, and it feels hotter at the top so reckon it could do more. I'm quite surprised that heat strip is enough to to the whole enclosure. My room drops below 20 during the day but the temperature inside the viv stays at 26.
Well I know Ultratherms (which are just flexwatt) can heat ambient temps by 5 degrees, so not too surprising. What stat do yo use?

Spawn60fsatan6

Arachnopeon
I keep the room they are in about 72-80 I was only concerned about the temp because of adding adding the fans in, if I end up having problems keeping temp I'll likely add some sort of heat element (not on any enclosures). All of my current species are basically dry so humidity should be a non issue.

I thought about the restricted airflow due to shelves and figured I could drill a a 3-4" hole out of the shelves to make sure air can move freely through the unit. As well as going for the 6" version of the fans. I figure having more flow and being able to turn it down is better than not enough and needing to buy new fans.

While I like the idea of snake vivarium it doesn't have the aesthetic I am looking for, As it's going to be goin in a finished walk in closet something of this style can be made to look "built in".

Thank you all for your input once I finally pull the trigger on everything needed maybe I keep track of the build and final temps and air flow incase anyone ever needs it.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Well I know Ultratherms (which are just flexwatt) can heat ambient temps by 5 degrees, so not too surprising. What stat do yo use?
Habistat dimmer with day/night switch. used these for years and they're perfect except for a slight buzzing sound at times. I'd not sure where they get that 5 degree figure from as it's a question of power to space: f I double the mats in the viv I'd get up to 30C, if I double the viv size I may not get to 25C overall.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I keep the room they are in about 72-80 I was only concerned about the temp because of adding adding the fans in, if I end up having problems keeping temp I'll likely add some sort of heat element (not on any enclosures). All of my current species are basically dry so humidity should be a non issue.

I thought about the restricted airflow due to shelves and figured I could drill a a 3-4" hole out of the shelves to make sure air can move freely through the unit. As well as going for the 6" version of the fans. I figure having more flow and being able to turn it down is better than not enough and needing to buy new fans.

While I like the idea of snake vivarium it doesn't have the aesthetic I am looking for, As it's going to be goin in a finished walk in closet something of this style can be made to look "built in".

Thank you all for your input once I finally pull the trigger on everything needed maybe I keep track of the build and final temps and air flow incase anyone ever needs it.
72-80 is more than perfect, I'm not sure where the discussion about adding heat came from, but that's the least of your worries really.
You'll see lots about ventilation on these boards, especially in regards to Avics and moisture-dependent species, but in reality if you have dry terrestrial species I'm not really certain any type of additional ventilation is really necessary. Any cabinet is not air tight, and if you're inside it a few times a week filling water dishes, feeding, etc. the air will circulate around if you have any type of indoor fan running (furnace, A/C) in the house, or if that vent is near the cabinet.

Keep this simple if its just 4 spiders. That cabinet seems massive for just 4.

Spawn60fsatan6

Arachnopeon
Yeah it's pretty large for 4 but that just means I'll have room to get more! I also wanted something larger to make sure it's big enough to hold 12x12x18, some terrestrial enclosures ad well as some supplies and what not.