Tarantula behavior?

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
So I got me my rosie male and it's been acting alittle weird first off It was trying to escape it's enclosure which I figure is normal but then after seeing it can't it just went and sat in it's hide for awhile now it came out and went and sat in the corner it's been that way for alittle while less than a day bcos it was night when he did this I'm not sure if he just sat there cus he's nocturnal but when I woke up he was in the same spot so I took my tongs and tapped the ground behind him so he could feel the vibrations so he moved about a inch forward. Any help?

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
Im not sure what you are looking for him to be doing.... Many T's just sit in one place for hours or days even. Especially G. rosea hints the reason some call them pet rocks. I have seen my adult female rosea stay in exact same position of a week... maybe more. The whole climbing to get out thing could be the substrate to damp or simply just getting use to its enclosure and it boundries.

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
I'm using that econcoconut stuff I was told to use it moved spots to it's hide and I just wanted to know just incase it was sick or somthing. I think he was trying to escape cus he was crawling all over the top to try and get out and since rosies are terristerial I wouldent think they would climb up there for a period of time

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
I'm using that econcoconut stuff
Never heard of it but I assume its a type of coco fiber. As I stated before if the substrate is too damp the rosea will climb the enclosure. They like the substrate bone dry. How large is the T and do you have any pictures of the setup? Is he in an aquarium with a screen top.... a kritter keeper.... a deli container? All of these answers will help me and others help you make sure you have a happy rosea.

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
Ah u have solved one of my problems it's not dry.but I think he's fine cus he hasent climbed for a few days and moved from the corner to the hide and yes it's tht Eco fiber stuff

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Brad1980 is bang on.

Everything you've said is pretty standard rosie behaviour, just make sure you keep your substrate 100% dry, dont mist just leave a waterbowl and never over flow it.

In my earlier days I put my first rosie on slightly moist sub, and she spent a lot of time on the walls. I ended up baking a bunch of the stuff to dry it out, and placed a 1" layer on top. She rarely climbs now.

Im also a big fan of ping pong balls for mature T's, and one of my rosies has one and its increased her activity level nicely, although she was never really a pet rock o begin with.

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
Ah a toy for my pet lol. I would like to get one would you happen to know any outher toys I could get my t

---------- Post added 04-15-2012 at 06:28 PM ----------

By the way could you help me figure out like the age of the t(juvenile adult etc.) because I bought him and dident ask but he is a male leg spand is small abdomen about inch long not big like and adult also it's bs is about 3 in. More or less

Last edited:

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
By the way could you help me figure out like the age of the t(juvenile adult etc.) because I bought him and dident ask but he is a male leg spand is small abdomen about inch long not big like and adult also it's bs is about 3 in. More or less
Impossible to guess the age of a T. Unless you or the person you bought it from raised it from 1st instar. There are just too many variables that go into how fast a T grows like temps and how often it has been fed. At that size it was more than likely wild caught and the LPS or person you bought it from has no idea on age as either. By the way..... do you know for a fact it is a male?

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
Well being that size and it's fangs not very big I also took a look on it's underside wen it was crawling so I'm almost positive and they said they fed it every 2 days I'm like huh??

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Well being that size and it's fangs not very big I also took a look on it's underside wen it was crawling so I'm almost positive and they said they fed it every 2 days I'm like huh??
Can you get a picture of said T from an angle that will show the palp area so we can clarify for you (assuming its mature?) with feeding it's your choice powerfeeding will reduce lifespan the general feeding consensus is 1 meal per week or two.

Spinster

Arachnosquire
with feeding it's your choice powerfeeding will reduce lifespan the general feeding consensus is 1 meal per week or two.
I have found my rosea is greedy and would eat every day if I let her. She pounces when I fill her water dish! Don't take that to mean they need to be fed every day. I feed my Ts approximately once a week, sometimes less often.

Don't be alarmed if your T stops eating either. They can go for months without feeding.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Brad1980 is bang on.

Everything you've said is pretty standard rosie behaviour, just make sure you keep your substrate 100% dry, dont mist just leave a waterbowl and never over flow it.

In my earlier days I put my first rosie on slightly moist sub, and she spent a lot of time on the walls. I ended up baking a bunch of the stuff to dry it out, and placed a 1" layer on top. She rarely climbs now.

Im also a big fan of ping pong balls for mature T's, and one of my rosies has one and its increased her activity level nicely, although she was never really a pet rock o begin with.
My G. pulchripes girl rather play with her freaking temp gauge. When I try to remove it she goes nuts, if I just put it back, she pulls it off the wall. It's an ongoing game but pretty insteresting. Had it removed for like 2 days...couldn't even get my tongs in there without her going crazy on them...after I put it back she was back to her old self after a day....T's -are- weird sometimes but whatever...as long as she's happy I certainly don't mind.

Sorry for hijacking :)

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
I have found my rosea is greedy and would eat every day if I let her. She pounces when I fill her water dish! Don't take that to mean they need to be fed every day. I feed my Ts approximately once a week, sometimes less often.

Don't be alarmed if your T stops eating either. They can go for months without feeding.
Yes I know alot about my rose but I'm just not sure if I should feed it more or not for it's age and size

---------- Post added 04-16-2012 at 04:57 PM ----------

Can you get a picture of said T from an angle that will show the palp area so we can clarify for you (assuming its mature?) with feeding it's your choice powerfeeding will reduce lifespan the general feeding consensus is 1 meal per week or two.
Wish I could get u a Pic but I'm doing this from iPhone. And it's mature enough to be climbing and can web cus I had to switch substrate and let it dry it was too moist and he was webbing it but yeah I can't get pic on my cp isn't wit me curretly only iphone

---------- Post added 04-16-2012 at 05:30 PM ----------

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=/&gl=US&rdm=m2d6f059z#/watch?v=6e-aSWEX3n8

He is still trying to climb I'm not sure what he wants i put new dry substrate in

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
And it's mature enough to be climbing and can web
Sooooo.... Its a first instar?? JK! JK! T's of all ages can web and climb.
Yes I know alot about my rose but I'm just not sure if I should feed it more or not for it's age and size
Just feed it once every week or two and its good.
Wish I could get u a Pic but I'm doing this from iPhone.
Shoot, Im sure that iPhone takes better pictures than my camera does. lol!

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure its a male? if its a mature male they also will tend to be climing all around the enclosure they are searching for a female. If you recently just got him give him time to adjust to his home.

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
Sooooo.... Its a first instar?? JK! JK! T's of all ages can web and climb.

Just feed it once every week or two and its good.

Shoot, Im sure that iPhone takes better pictures than my camera does. lol!
Haha well if u watched the vid then u may know lol I like the iPhones camra not to get off subject

---------- Post added 04-17-2012 at 07:14 AM ----------

Are you sure its a male? if its a mature male they also will tend to be climing all around the enclosure they are searching for a female. If you recently just got him give him time to adjust to his home.
Yeah it's new bought male I'm pretty positive on that I think ima split the enclosure because of how big it is and then put a female on the outher side once he gets older to breed