Tarantula acting weird after Molt

Michael Greenidge

Arachnopeon
My approx 3 inch Brachypelma Hamorii molted 2 days ago , since the molt it has been quite inactive & tucked up alot. It also seems to gravitate to one corner (quite close to where it molted).
I've topped up the water fish & moisted a small patch of the substrate a few times (in different areas after waiting for it dry it out).

It climbed up on a piece of cork bark yesterday but otherwise has been really inactive (perhaps turning to face a different direction now & again). I'm a little worried as it's not what tarantula's usual behaviour was like prior to molt.

What should i do? Or shall I just leave it?

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
What should i do?
Nothing.
Or shall I just leave it?
Yes.

:)

Seriously, just be patient with her. She needs to harden up and for that she needs peace and quiet. She probably will also do something called 'spider yoga', meaning she will sit in weird, curious positions for the next days/weeks. Wait at least a week before you try to feed her and make sure her fangs are actually black again before you do it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My approx 3 inch Brachypelma Hamorii molted 2 days ago , since the molt it has been quite inactive & tucked up alot.
Tarantulas are not very active, and after molting, they are often even less active (except for their post-molt stretching routines).

Sometimes temperament changes after a molt, though two days is too early to call it.

If you post pictures of the tarantula and its setup, we can try to rule out any obvious issues.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Short of additional information, this sounds normal for post-moult. Sounds like how my Ts are after a moult anyway.

Michael Greenidge

Arachnopeon
Nothing.

Yes.

:)

Seriously, just be patient with her. She needs to harden up and for that she needs peace and quiet. She probably will also do something called 'spider yoga', meaning she will sit in weird, curious positions for the next days/weeks. Wait at least a week before you try to feed her and make sure her fangs are actually black again before you do it.
Okay thanks appreciated , it seems to be stretching of some sort at the moment lol , I'll let it be

Michael Greenidge

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are not very active, and after molting, they are often even less active (except for their post-molt stretching routines).

Sometimes temperament changes after a molt, though two days is too early to call it.

If you post pictures of the tarantula and its setup, we can try to rule out any obvious issues.
It climbed on top of the hide not long ago

The T climbed on top of the hide as you can see (sorry for the reflection) , I would of taken the lid off but didn't wanna disturb it. 20190202_135043.jpg

This was the kinda posture it has been in recently (image below)

20190131_110026.jpg

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Looks like a molt gone well. I had my own concerns after a molt a couple of months back. Everything turned out well, and the advice given was golden. As others have said, leave your T to do its T thing for a few days as it hardens up. Just make sure the water dish is on point and you'll be fine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My approx 3 inch Brachypelma Hamorii molted 2 days ago , since the molt it has been quite inactive & tucked up alot. It also seems to gravitate to one corner (quite close to where it molted).
It's still recovering from moulting, it'll be inactive/go into stress curls/do stretches until its new exoskeleton fully hardens. It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.