Tarantula 1st Molt Questions

woosh52

Arachnopeon
Beginner with first T. Have had him for 5 months. After about a month in a half of building an elaborate web on the side of the enclosure and not eating my T finally molted this morning! It was weird because he did it in a vertical position leaned against its webbing. Not flat on the back on the substrate like I’ve seen in my research. It hasn’t left that webbing in over a month and now while it’s hardening it still won’t move away from the molt. The enclosure needs to be cleaned, I didn’t want to destroy the webbing prior to the molt phase. When can I or when should I remove my T to a temporary cage and clean the enclosure and replace the substrate? Is it ok to take out the webbing or is that too stressful on the spider? Also worried about feeding. I know not to feed my T until a few days after molting, but it’s been almost 2 months since it last fed. Any insight would be appreciated. Photo attached

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I suppose you have an Avicularia, they're arboreal spiders who always moult high up in a web tunnel and not on the ground as terrestrials do. ;)

You should wait at least 7-10 days until you try to feed it, it needs to harden up completely. It could take even longer for it to feed again. Don't worry it won't starve. Just make sure there's a water dish with fresh and unobstructed water available.

Next thing: You don't have to clean the enclosure entirely! Spot-cleaning (e.g. boluses/dead feeders or poop from the glass if it bothers you) is enough. Everything else is unnecessary stress for your T.
But what you definitely should do is to upgrade the enclosure! It needs more stuff at the top (like leaf clutter) and a slab of cork bark leading from bottom to top. The hide you have in there is completely useless for an arboreal. I would also get a new enclosure anyway. These kinds of enclosures aren't good for Avics and their relatives, because they only have ventilation on the top, therefore no proper cross ventilation which could lead to stuffy conditions which could be detrimental to your T.

I believe you should do a lot more research on how to keep your Avic properly. Here's a thread with loads of useful information (it also has a section dedicated to Avics): http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

woosh52

Arachnopeon
Thank you Thekla, great info! A new enclosure is definitely something I’ve been thinking about anyway. I feel like I don’t have the right environment for my T, this is the second one I’ve bought, but I’ve never felt he was comfortable. The last thing I wanted to though was disturb the molting process. Thanks for link, I’ll study it before doing anything further! Greatly appreciated

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It was weird because he did it in a vertical position leaned against its webbing. Not flat on the back on the substrate like I’ve seen in my research.
That's how arboreals normally moult, only terrestrials/fossorials moult upside down on the ground and even that's not guaranteed as some moult upright.

It hasn’t left that webbing in over a month and now while it’s hardening it still won’t move away from the molt. The enclosure needs to be cleaned
It won't come out until it has fully hardened. No it doesn't.

When can I or when should I remove my T to a temporary cage and clean the enclosure and replace the substrate?
You don't need to do this, just pick out boluses and change the water as needed, there is absolutely no need to do bi-yearly deep cleans and substrate changes.

You do need house it in a suitable enclosure with stuff to climb on and plenty of plant clutter though.

cari.JPG

Also worried about feeding. I know not to feed my T until a few days after molting, but it’s been almost 2 months since it last fed. Any insight would be appreciated.
Wait until the fangs turn fully black, could take weeks, it's not going to starve to death in the meantime.