1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tapinauchenius sp Union Island

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Nightstalker47, May 23, 2017.

1. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    I was wondering if anyone has any info on this species, I heard they are quite rare in Europe and are much more readily available in North America.

They were given as freebies, I've been keeping them the same way I keep my T.gigas slings and they seem to be doing well. Does anyone know what size they attain? I couldn't find much general info on them...

2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

ive heard they are also sold as sp. caribbean diamond. which is actually a fairly pricey species.
    id imagine some where around 5-6". id keep them the exact same as a Psalmo or other Tappie.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nightstalker47

The pics I compared look just like the Caribbean diamond, I think your probably right about that. Martin was telling me they were a valuable species so it makes sense, in time we'll see... 5-6 inch seems pretty large for a Tappie, isn't gigas the biggest of the genus at around that size?

4. Venom1080

im not sure. probably. my cupreus maxed out at 4" at most. assumed it was a male thing.

5. Jason B

Jason B Arachnosquire

Us
    Those are some pretty impressive freebies, they go for about 50$ here in the states.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  6. volcanopele

volcanopele Arachnosquire

If Union Island == Caribbean Diamond, then the basis of the name I gave my juvenile female Caribbean Diamond, "Caicos", is wrong. The only reference I could find to a "Caribbean Diamond" is to a resort in the Turks and Caicos, so yeah...

Not sure if I should just shrug it off and go with that, or call it something else like Geraldine...

and yeah, she cost $50 when I got her as a 1.5" sling last October, so getting one as a freebie is pretty nice!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nightstalker47

I'm pretty happy about it, I also got a pair of P.pulcher slings among the freebies received. I spent a considerable amount there and am friends with the owner so he always hooks me up. He threw in an extra 3 different species of latrodectus, each vial containing several slings, most freebies I've ever gotten :D

• Love Love x 1
  8. Nightstalker47

I got two as freebies ;)

9. TheSanguineSaint

TheSanguineSaint Arachnosquire

Tarantula Canada has an info sheet! Everything I have read states that folks keep them sililar to the A avicularia another arboreal species. I found a bunch of info on the orange tree spider also from the Tap. family. I checked the climate and area info and weather for the areas both are found in and they are the same so I guess a care sheet for other Tap's including the 'ghost spider' and 'orange tree spider' would be similar.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nightstalker47

Yeah that's pretty much how I've been keeping them, same as my T.gigas. My pair is thriving. Going to get some pics up of them soon.

11. Leila

Leila Arachnobaron

Tennessee
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nightstalker47

Will do ;)

• Love Love x 1
  13. Scotian

Scotian Arachnopeon

Canada
    I just got a Tapinauchenius sp. Union Island as a freebie myself, seems to not have much info on them! Guessing its a more uncommon T in the hobby?

Scotian.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nightstalker47

So sorry it took this long, but I finally got a few decent pictures. Better late then never. ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  15. Venom1080

Getting big. Nice.

My three should be more than specks in a few months I hope.

16. Nightstalker47

They have pretty decent growth rates, just try to feed them generously. Both my slings are already on their second molts. Loving the green carapace color with the all black body.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Venom1080

I try.
    I rehoused one to a very large cage for its size, interested in seeing how it's growth is over the next few months.

18. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I would expect somewhere in that 4 inch range. Its a genus of smaller species, gigas being the largest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Deeser

Deeser Arachnosquire

Montreal
    Pretty impressed with the growth rate here too. I believe mine was from the same sack. I rehoused it after last molt end of September and it finally posed for me! Easily over an inch DLS now. :happy:

Sorry for the ugly glary plastic. I like his "deadpool" eye markings but not sure if it's just shadow :p in better light you see the green in the carapace also. Diggin the look of this guy.
    20171010_195938~2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

I think mine is about the same size as yours, @Deeser, but it's hard to tell with how hidden she stays. I got a pretty decent look at her while she was hunting (with a brief moment of panic as the moth scaled the enclosure walls toward the exit), and she seems pretty hefty these days.

• Like Like x 1