Tapinauchenius husbandry tips?

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Hi all,

Was looking for some expert tips in keeping Tapies, specifically the Union Island, although I hear few keepers have them, so any info on the genus would be great.

I heard that they like it humid with a lot of good cross ventilation, but with so much misinformation online regarding humidity for Ts (avics especially....), I wanted your feedback.

My 1/2" sling is currently in an 8oz glass yogurt container, although I'm prepping it a 32oz deli style container similar to my versicolore. Thoughts?

IMG_0542.JPG IMG_0543.JPG

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not a tappies expert. But I've raised one to maturity and own three more slings now..

Keep it exactly like a Psalmopoeus. Moist, but nothing excessive, and with good ventilation. This is more to combat mold and stuffiness rather than a direct requirement of the genus.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hi all,

Was looking for some expert tips in keeping Tapies, specifically the Union Island, although I hear few keepers have them, so any info on the genus would be great.

I heard that they like it humid with a lot of good cross ventilation, but with so much misinformation online regarding humidity for Ts (avics especially....), I wanted your feedback.

My 1/2" sling is currently in an 8oz glass yogurt container, although I'm prepping it a 32oz deli style container similar to my versicolore. Thoughts?

View attachment 251916 View attachment 251917
They should be kept reasonably moist as slings. Good ventilation is always important. When it grows into a juvenile you can just overflow it's water dish every now and then. They like some moisture, but not too much.

One side should still remain predominantly dry. It's very easy to over do it, especially with slings in a small vial.

Both of my T. sp. Union island have grown fast and are thriving. I keep them the exact same way I kept my T.gigas. It's worked perfectly, here's some pics to give you an idea.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I never kept them very moist, but there was always a slightly damp area. They seem to always make their home in the driest spot IME. On the opposite end of that cork bark is the moist side with water dish.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Hijacking my own thread, but I feel like I'm starting too many new ones today so I will ask it here: What about Lampropelma Violaceopes? Similar to the Psalmos too? I feel like I'm keeping her too damp as mould has started developing, so I cleaned it out and letting it dry a bit...

tarantulateaparty

Arachnopeon
L. Violaceopes seem to do best at about 60% humidity ime, not quite moist but a good dampening here and there. Isopods will help with mold as well.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Hijacking my own thread, but I feel like I'm starting too many new ones today so I will ask it here: What about Lampropelma Violaceopes? Similar to the Psalmos too? I feel like I'm keeping her too damp as mould has started developing, so I cleaned it out and letting it dry a bit...
Yep, I keep mine damp. I don't let it dry out much either.

Don't chase humidity numbers.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I keep mine in a moister container than some, though with great ventilation. I'm in Arizona, so their relative humidity is horribly low. To combat nastiness from moist soil, I keep them on bioactive soil with springtails and isopods. I lose the occasional Giant Orange isopods as a snack, but they breed like rabbits--I can spare one occasionally.

Just whatever you do, don't let them get away! Otherwise, you're far too likely, as I did, to spend an entire afternoon and evening under your bed with a flashlight and a fish net looking for some little bugger of a sling hiding in the box spring. :confused: Fast? Oh yeah.

boina

Lady of the mites
Getting one of these myself what about temperature for these ??
What do you mean? Anything between 70 and 90F / 20 to 30°C is fine, as for the overwhelming majority of tarantulas. They don't need specific temps.