1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tap water?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by akstylish, Jun 22, 2009.

  1. akstylish

    akstylish Arachnosquire

    52
    0
    0
    GA
    Advertisement
    Is it safe for the T to drink? I've given her bottled water just to be safe.
     
  2. Paramite

    Paramite Arachnoprince

    There's a lot of discussion about this if you do some searching.

    But yeah, it's safe. Even if you live in a big city, where the water isn't exactly the cleanest, there's no ill effects to the spiders.

    I've always done it and I've never had any problems. I'm so confident it's safe that I'm also giving it to more expensive species like P. metallica and P. subfusca.
     
  3. Wonder Walrus

    Wonder Walrus Arachnopeon

    38
    0
    0
    IL
    Tap water has more regulations on it than bottled. Tap is fine, BUT if you want to lose the crud that stays on the glass when you mist tap water try distilled.
     
  4. I've always used tap water as well and haven't had any problems.
     
  5. Nomadinexile

    Nomadinexile Arachnoking

    No!

    Unless your tap water is going through Reverse osmosis filter, it is not o.k. for anything to drink, let alone something so small.
    Use distilled, or spring water, or water that has gone through Reverse osmosis.

    There is a lot to back this up, but a quick search on here and google will give you more info than most people here could on why you shouldn't use tap water. So if you don't believe me, google tap water.
     
  6. Paramite

    Paramite Arachnoprince

    Did it ever cross your mind that the negative effects we have (which are basicly minimal) from drinking it, might not be the same for tarantulas?

    There's a lot of people who've given tap water to tarantulas for years, without any problems.
     
  7. akstylish

    akstylish Arachnosquire

    52
    0
    0
    GA
    I haven't googled it yet, but isn't it unsafe mainly because of chlorine?

    Anyway I'm glad I gave her spring water. And this brings up another question.

    Is it also not safe to use tap water on compressed substrate?(not for misting but to expand the substrate)
     
  8. Nomadinexile

    Nomadinexile Arachnoking

    Chlorine

    Chlorine, flouride, everyones discharged medicines...

    I live in Austin, Tx where we supposedly have great water. But the pipes on the apartments must be horrible because our water is nasty.

    You and your T's can live off tap water and not DIE., but the quality of life will not be as good as would be otherwise. I personally have more stomach problems when I drink chlorinated water, because the chlorine is killing off the benificial bacteria in my stomach. You can drink it, and so can your t, but it's not preferable for either. Peace, ryan
     
  9. Paramite

    Paramite Arachnoprince

    You should ignore Nomadinexile's first post. Like I said, many very experienced keepers use tap water and they've had no problems with it.

    And if you are so worried about the chlorine, why don't you just let the water stand 24 hours? Lol. After that most of it is gone.
     
  10. Nomadinexile

    Nomadinexile Arachnoking

    Chlorine

    Chlorine will evaporate at least off the top of the substrate, but if that substrate is in a cage, then your t is exposed to chlorine gas. YOU COULD get a decanter (wine) and "decant" your water. It takes about 24 hours (I think) if you have an agitator in the water (potato mixer), or it is shallow dish of...
    If it is traditional wine decanter, I wouldn't worry too much about the chlorine after 72 hours. Best bet is get a R/O filter. It will save you money in the long run, but it's about $100 minimum up front so... Good luck! Peace, ryan

    Fluoride is a chemical weapon. It was developed and used by hitler's armies.
    That is why kids can't eat toothpaste. Even in the small ppm of it in toothpaste, 1 tube will KILL a small child. It is death hidden as dental care.
     
  11. If you let tap water stand for 24 hours it release 98% of chemicals water
    treatment plants add to it dissipates.So tap is fine.
     
  12. Paramite

    Paramite Arachnoprince

    Again, you shouldn't compare humans to tarantulas. Unless we are talking about setting them on fire, we can't really compare our negative effects to tarantulas.

    This is something that's forgotten far too often. Tarantulas are basicly as different as possible.
     
  13. Nomadinexile

    Nomadinexile Arachnoking

    My final word

    You can do whatever you think is right. I am not a bottle water sales man, or filter salesman, or whatever. I just hope that any of you using tap water, or thinking of using tap water, does their research on what is REALLY in it. If you don't know what some of the words are, LOOK THEM UP, and if you find out everything that is in it, and still think it is ok, then be my guest. I know millions of animals and people have drank tap water for hundreds of years with no immediate deaths from properly treated water. BUT, I also know that cancer rates have sky rocket, that the rates of sexual deformities in newborns is absolutely astounding, that all sorts of problems are showing up in all ages of people that have no historical precedence. Are these all related to what is in our water? NO! But is consuming that many chemicals, chemical weapons, medicines, etc, going to be good for ANY lifeform? NO! You can all make your own choices. And I will not judge you for them. But there is no way anyone would think TAP is BETTER if fully informed and in full capacity.

    Good luck, Peace, Ryan
     
  14. Nomadinexile

    Nomadinexile Arachnoking

    REALLY my final word.

    IF you live in the mountains with NO pollution between you and your aquifer, AND your local water company doesn't use Chlorine and Flouride in their water, then you are probably o.k. I have drank untreated water out of mountain streams and mountain taps. But this is the exception not the rule.
    99% of Americans Tap water is not o.k. for anything alive in my opinion.
    Peace, ryan
     
  15. Paramite

    Paramite Arachnoprince

    Look, I'm not trying to be a smart ass. It's obvious that bottle water is safer. It's just that in some countries it's expensive as hell. Since there seems to be no issues with tap water, I'll choose that one. You however said it's "NO" to the tap water, even if it really isn't so.

    But then again our tap water is pretty clean, even in the "big cities" that are of course small compared to the states.
     
  16. Paramite

    Paramite Arachnoprince

    AGAIN, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you seem like the type of person who condemns everyhing that has been chemically treated. Would you want to make a daily trip to the closest well miles away to get some water to drink. Or even to shower? Or should I ask: Would you?
     
  17. Widowman10

    Widowman10 Arachnoemperor

    are you kidding me?! :wall: good lord, the crap and regulations on drinking tap water is crazy, that stuff is good. i've been to a public water treatment plant and heard what testing they have to do (which is every 30 freaking minutes or less). even if the water tastes gross it is still fine to drink as these people are all going to jail if it's not darn near perfect. and besides, what do you think T's drink in the wild?? haha, nothing near distilled water quality. they'll drink it out of a mud slop hole if they can get it.

    bottom line: it's perfectly fine. trust us.

    /rant. sorry if i seemed harsh.
     
  18. Exo

    Exo Arachnoprince

    Why not use rain water? that's what I do and unless you live in L.A or a large city it should be safe.
     
  19. violentblossom

    violentblossom Arachnoknight

    That was my thinking, also. Sometimes we tend to over babyfy our pets and we get lost in the tiny details of caring for them.
     
  20. Widowman10

    Widowman10 Arachnoemperor

    you could do that too. haha, i'd actually even use tap water before rain water though (not that i wouldn't use both)! at least the tap is treated.