tank mates for H. Spinifer?

CamoRhino

Arachnopeon
i have a 55g vivarium setup for Cuddles Sr. Jr. and III. since they are only active at night i was wondering if there were any compatible tankmates that would not end up a meal.

Any ideas?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
i have a 55g vivarium setup for Cuddles Sr. Jr. and III. since they are only active at night i was wondering if there were any compatible tankmates that would not end up a meal.

Any ideas?
The only thing I can think of, if you provide tall plants in your enclosure, you could try the larger species of Praying Mantis and feed them only flying prey so they wouldn't be tempted to forage lower down. Every thing else would either be eaten or will eat the scorpions.

CamoRhino

Arachnopeon
I like the idea of mantises. I could build a 30g extension on top of the cool side. That would allow me to put a small tree. Also i already have an abundance of springtails.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Any ideas?
Not safely, no.

And if you do keep a praying mantis in there (which I advise against) there is a good chance it will be devoured sooner or later (assuming the Scorpions are large enough to not be eaten by the mantis). Mantids do end up on the ground now and then for whatever reason. They are really clumsy and often will fall when they are chasing after prey since they lock onto their target and seem to not pay any attention to where they are stepping.

I have had mantids actually drown in small collections of water left over from misting if they are not able to right themselves up after falling.

I am not worried about my Tarantulas because they float. But my Scorpions, Mantids, etc. I make sure have a small water dish they cannot get stuck in (and mantids need to be misted since they drink water droplets and not from a bowl).

Scorpions are also surprisingly nimble. If they get a foothold on any decorations, plants, etc. they will climb up them towards the top.