1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking tarantulas on walks

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by FitzzSimmons, May 14, 2018.

1. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Advertisement
    Hey guys.
    So basically, i when i first got my C.versicolor sling i took it out of the vial it was in and started rehousing it into a new enclosure and when i took it out to put it in it's new enclosure it instantly ran onto my hand and started wandering around slowly and not darting and jumping everywhere like i expected it to. So then just to be safe and make sure it doesn't injure itself i put it on my bed (don't worry i cleared everything) and just let it roam. Once again it just walked at a calm pace around my bed and didn't show any signs of fear/skittishness. Ever since, I've been letting it roam around once a day without problem. it even hunts cut up mealworm on my bed and then i put it's enclosure near it and once it has captured it's food it adorably walks straight into it's enclosure and enjoys it's feast.
    Anyway the reason i'm telling this story is to see if 1. I'm the only person doing this and it's really weird and 2. Should i even be doing this and is it really a good idea

Would love to hear what you guys think

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Popcorn Popcorn x 1
  2. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince Active Member

A wise man once told me "Nothing but trouble will come when you ask others for their opinion"

Do you, don't explain it or apologize for it and use a discernable amount of discrection ;).

• Like x 3
    • Award x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Lollipop x 1
    • Beer x 1
  3. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Bad idea, things might go smoothly for now...but thats bound to change eventually. Safest place for your versicolor is inside its enclosure, even calm Ts can/will suddenly change dispositions. Its an unnecessary risk that can lead to your spiders death or escape.

If you want a pet you can play with get a hamster.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    A C versicolor's defence is rubbing its Type II urticating hairs against you; your interpretation that it "didn't show any signs of fear" may easily be misinterpreted.

That said, it is hard to prevent a versi from going for a walk from time to time with a top opening enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    IMO, no, it isn't. Just takes something simple to send your T off the side and under your bed to disappear forever. Don't be fooled, versi can be pretty quick. It's one thing to have it happen by accident, but I wouldn't be making a habit of it.

• Sad Sad x 1
  6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    imagesEQNRCJ65.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

I hope you wash your sheets on a regular basis. o_O

This is so true I'm at a loss for words on it so you get an award on your post! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnosquire

I like to handle my B. hamorii on my bed although it really doesn't go anywhere. Really calm. Never kicks.
    20180501_165045.jpg

• Funny x 14
    • Like x 4
    • Lollipop x 3
    • Award x 2
    • Love x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  9. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince Active Member

Pfft..hamorii.. That's clearly a hybrid :cigar:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

I don't play with my tarantulas. Not the right pet for it.

It won't learn to like you or be more docile either way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Spiderguy47

Spiderguy47 Arachnoknight

I say as long as you take the proper precautionary measures you should be fine doing this but I do agree that you probably shouldn't make a habit of it, no matter the species tarantulas can change their mood in the blink of an eye. All it would take is you breathing a little too close to it and that spider is gone.

Now I have a question for you:
    Are you letting it walk out or are you taking it out? If your tarantula wants out of its enclosure on a regular basis there is a chance that you aren't meeting its needs and it is looking for a more suitable environment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

I've handled twice by mistake, the exact same spider.
    Brachypelma epicureanum, once when unpacking it crawled onto me it, pooped on me... fun times.
    Second, immense feeding response, I made the mistake of putting tongs too close to it and he darted all the way up and onto me.

13. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Clearly a Franken-T and not a B. hamorii.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 1
    • Coffee Coffee x 1
  14. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight

Texas
    Aside from other valid reasons that have been mentioned, I would also be worried about possible pesticide/chemical exposure. I'm a little paranoid about that stuff though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Lithobius

Lithobius Arachnosquire

I also second the person who mentioned washing the sheets, primarily because if its utricating hairs get on the sheets and you sleep in them you could end up with them in your eyes or nose by accident.

These guys are fast so it really wouldn't take much for it to escape like this or get injured but my avic somtimes will run out of her top-opening cage too if I open the lid for cleaning and I'd be lying if I said I never took advantage of her curiousness to let her crawl around on my arms.

16. FitzzSimmons

FitzzSimmons Arachnopeon

London
    Oh no of course as it gets bigger i'm going to stop. I'm only doing it now because it's only 1cm so it can't escape at all and looks so adorable when it wanders around

that bloody scared me XD

Well basically i tong feed it and sometimes it will take the food and other times it will just walk on the tongs so i let it walk offthe tongs onto the bed so i can get it back into it's enclosure. That's basically how letting him go on walks all started

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
  17. MrTwister

MrTwister Arachnosquire

At such a small size it can absolutely escape. One dart on to the floor and it’s gone into any crack or crevice it can find. At the end of the day it’s your spider to do with what you will. Just wait for the poop cannon on your bed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Bad idea. Good way to lose a T, get injured etc. You are just getting lucky that's all.

By the way, eating a dead food item is not hunting, it's called scavenging.

19. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Arachno-heretic Arachnosupporter

All Versicolor owners will probably encounter the great leap of faith at some point.

I'd try a larger enclosure if the T is constantly escaping. My Versicolor was my very first T. Great spider but a total spaz.

Provide a cork bark tube or some other type of decor that is easy to web up. A web tube really cuts down wander lust.