1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking Tarantulas on Airplanes

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Mojo Jojo, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Arachnoking Old Timer

I am wondering what the feasibility of bring tarantulas onto an airplane would be. I am quite interested in going to the ATS conference in June. But I know that if I go, I will want to bring some back with me =D. I have figured that it will take somewhere in the neighborhood of 17 hours to drive, so I am thinking about flying. So that is where my quandry comes in.

Big Dragonfly
  2. Devildoll

Devildoll Arachnoknight Old Timer

overnight them to yourself!
    ups or something...

airlines usually charge a fotune to take an animal on the plane with you. and thats only IF they let you.
  3. Valael

Valael Arachnodemon Old Timer

Just don't say anything :p Pack it up really tightly in your carry on. Maybe add a few of those Tarantula/Scorpions in resin to take their attention from it :p
  4. Mister Internet

Mister Internet Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :) Arachnosupporter

While this suggestion might sound stupid or foolish, it's probably the most intelligent thing you could do with them. I fly on a VERY regular basis, and airports and air travel are only getting worse. The "new security mearsures" are complete bulls**t, and the most they would impact a potential terrorist is to make them wait longer to do their dirty work. The security personnel are as inept as ever, they almost seem worse than before. TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME when I say that you do NOT want to do ANYTHING to draw attention to yourself. If you do decide to try it, for God's sake DON'T tell them you're carrying tarantulas... if you do try to pack them and sneak them through, be prepared... they are being a LOT more picky about things that look "weird" in the X-Ray machine.

OTOH, overnight shipping to yourself guarantees that you approve of the packaging, that your personally oversee the drop-off, and that you've reduced your potential risk from being detained at the airport and likley missing your flight to only being out 25 bucks. That trade off is a no-brainer for the very very small price of 25 bucks.
  5. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Arachnolord Old Timer

Im not sure when last you've flown, but in the last 6 months, ive gotten on about 8 or 10 different flights and have only gotten onto a plane without my carry on being searched vigourously about 3 times. chock it up to 9/11. im not sure what the penalty is for trying to sneak on spiders, but im sure theyd at least run you through some decent hassle. hell, look at that poor woman with the vibrator...;P
  6. looseyfur

looseyfur Arachnofur Old Timer

forget it

you might as well forget it ... and go the mail route. You WILL get massive ammounts of hassle for what is really a bad situation for your animals to be in in the first place.

happy hunting-
  7. Rookie

Rookie Arachnoknight Old Timer

My problem too

I'm surprised you haven't heard me ranting about this because I do so rather often. I live in Newfoundland, Canada, but I'm attending school in the province of Nova Scotia. To drive home, i would be looking at about 16 hours minumum, plus a ferry ride of about 4 hours. I have to fly home for Christmas, and come hell or high water, my Tarantula is coming with me. I called the airlines, if you want to take a Tarantula, it has to be tightly secured and placed in with your checked-in luggage. Now, that might be okay, but in my opinion that's certain death for the T because I doubt it would be a smooth ride for him/her. I intend to smuggle it on board with me. I don't trust the carry on, because if he's discovered in the x-ray, I'm not getting him on board, and it would definilty draw attention to myself. In Canada, I don't think the airlines are so strict as in the US, but Mr. Internet is right; you don't want to draw attention to yourself.
    So, very daringly, I plan to take him on board, directly on my person. I think I'll put him in a pill vile, wear a hooded sweatshirt with a front pouch/pocket, place the vial in there, and go through the metal detector. The vial's plastic, so it won't set anything off, and even if I forget some change, or a belt, they won't be searching me directly. This is the safest bet, and he should be okay because the plane ride itself is only an hour long.
    My only concern is if he gets out during the trip, so I just have to ensure that doesn't happen.
    Sorry this is so incredibly long, but that's just my suggestion on how I plan to do things.
    Jacen had no problems with Ts in carry ons with regard to the x-ray, but he is also from Canada, I'd be much more cautious in your shoes.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2002
  8. Arachnopuppy

Arachnopuppy Arachnodemon

I have over 30 Tarantulas so I have no idea how to safely smuggle them on board a plane.
  9. Jack III

Jack III Arachnocultured Old Timer

I would think putting them in your checked luggage packed as if you were shipping them would be a good way to go. Smuggling anything on your person is risky. I wouldn't forgive myself if I lost a beloved pet to my own doing. I would agree that the sure bet would be overnighting a package to yourself. Good Luck!!!
  10. Immortal_sin

Immortal_sin Arachnotemptress Old Timer

here is what I did for the conference last summer. I'm not saying I will or will not do it again.
    I took an H lividum sling in my backpack carry on, to donate for the raffle. It was in a glad container, and had plugged all burrow entrances, so you couldn't even see it. My backpack went through the xray machine (of course) but it wasn't searched. If asked, I would've told them it was an earthworm or something.
    I brought back a desert millipede in my pocket.
    I had 11-12 other Ts to bring back, and I had John Hoke ship them for me with the Ts I bought from him.
    Not certain what I'll do next year. I plan to donate again for the raffle, so I'll probably ship to myself, since there will be more than one thing donated.
  11. TheEternal

TheEternal Arachnoprince Old Timer

It seems like the general consensus is to ship the tarantulas to yourself. What if you're flying into another country (US to Canada, for example)?

12. Wade

Wade Arachnoking Old Timer

Prior to 9-ll, I took all manner of inverts and reptiles aboard planes in my carry on luggage. As long as you don't have anything metal (that makes them want to look inside) in there, they never even look. I've made somthing like 8-10 different flights carrying live animals, no problem at all. I just kept my mouth shut and resisted the urge to check on the critters.

I have a feeling it's not all that different now, but with the random searches they do, you could get screwed. The problem is, if you get stopped at a security checkpoint on the way to the plane, there's going to be very little you can do. They may require you to ship it Air Freight, which is insanely expensive.

My practice now is to pack them in my checked luggage. I pack them exactly how I would if I was sending them in the mail, tarantulas immobilized in cups with paper towels, etc. These go inside a padded box. This time of year, I might even include a heat pack, but usually I travel in the summer when it's not nescessary (I am most worried about it when the luggage is sitting on the tarmac). I pack the box in a large duffle bag, and pad that with my clothing etc. I used this method this past summer to fly from Arizona to Virginia with several dozen arthropods with no problems whatsoever.

I guess overnight shipping them to yourself is an option, but I fail to see how that is better than the checked luggage method. Are we to imagine that the post office (or UPS, Fedex, Airborne, whoever) somehow treats the packages with care? They don't, they're there, at the airport, with their own planes, throwing the boxes around exactly the same way the baggage handlers do. The only difference is, you get to PAY extra for it! Plus, you have to wait at least a day to get the package, wheras you get your luggage back at the end of the flight.

Taking it accross international bounderies MIGHT be considered smuggling. Maybe not, if it's a personal pet and not something you intend to sell. I'd check the regulations with the airline, on that one.