taking GBB on holiday with me?

Archie the Arachnid

Arachnopeon
hi, I have a GBB about 3 months old. in a few weeks time I'm going away for a week. I know GBB spiders can survive quite a while without eating but I'd like to have it with me instead of leaving it with my cats! someone is coming to feed our cats everyday but I highly doubt they're up for feeding a spider XD do you think if I took the spider with me, holding its enclosure on my lap for the car ride, would be bad or would spook the spider out? the drive is about 3-4 hours

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mah, personally I'm always against the moving of T's (no matter the specie) for a short trip/short holiday etc because it's not worth IMO, I view that as an unneccessary and potentially stressful risk.

This not even considering that a 'GBB' is a very hardy Theraphosidae so, when the water dish is full and a couple of crickets were offered, maybe the day before leaving, there's absolutely nothing to worry.

You know, this is one of the 'Pro' of the T's keeping, despite the fact that lots of keepers are always concerned. You can go away for 7/15 days and nothing happens (if things were did the right way, uh).

But since you think that there's chances % that the cat can perform something 'baddy' when you aren't at home, this is another issue.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Give it a meal a couple days before leaving, a quick mist to bump up the humidity, and make sure it's somewhere where the cats can't get to it and it should be fine. Being gone for a week won't do anything to it.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
As everyone said, it should be fine. Aside from the things others have mentioned (safe from cats, full water dish), make sure that the habitat is in an area where the temperature will remain in the appropriate range for your T.

Archie the Arachnid

Arachnopeon
Mah, personally I'm always against the moving of T's (no matter the specie) for a short trip/short holiday etc because it's not worth IMO, I view that as an unneccessary and potentially stressful risk.

This not even considering that a 'GBB' is a very hardy Theraphosidae so, when the water dish is full and a couple of crickets were offered, maybe the day before leaving, there's absolutely nothing to worry.

You know, this is one of the 'Pro' of the T's keeping, despite the fact that lots of keepers are always concerned. You can go away for 7/15 days and nothing happens (if things were did the right way, uh).

But since you think that there's chances % that the cat can perform something 'baddy' when you aren't at home, this is another issue.
okay! thank you for the advice, I'll leave it at home. so far the cat has seemed rather scared of it so I think it's okay! I'll get the person feeding the cats to come check on it now and then

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Cats might act scared, at first, but that quickly changes to, "Damn, that thing looks delicious." Cat-proofing is going to be critical.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Feed and water it well and put it in a locked closet or somewhere not accessible to cats and it should be fine.